Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Time Life RNR Era 1957 Still Rockin Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 September 2006 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Fetta

I just noticed that my copy of Time Life Rock 'N' Roll Era 1957 Still Rockin does not contain "You Send Me" by Sam Cooke. Instead, it was replaced by "Be Bop Baby" by Rick Nelson. Why is this? Is this an earlier or later version, and does this also mean that I won't find "You Send Me" on any other issues (I could swear that I've seen it and played it).

My copy seems to match the number in the database (2RNR-17).

Any insights?

Edited by Fetta on 03 September 2006 at 8:28am
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 September 2006 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Fetta

Just a quick note, I also noticed that "Be Bop Baby" is not listed in the database as being on Time Life RNR Era 1957 Still Rockin.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 September 2006 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote jimct

I pulled out my copy for you, Fetta. My cut #6 lists and does contain "You Send Me." No sign of "Be-Bop Baby" on my CD. It is also 2RNR-17, and the listed manufacture year for mine is 1988. When there's consumer frustration/confusion for 50s/60s tracks, it's usually a tip-off that "Consumer's Musical Public Enemy #1", Allen Klein, is probably involved as the rights owner of the tracks. He controls all of the Sam Cooke "Keen/SAR" label tracks, including "You Send Me". I have seen both the Keen and the RCA recordings (he may own those, too - not certain, though) coupled on the same CD comps occasionally, but a good one I got a few years ago was quickly pulled, and re-released with some tracks yanked, and others quickly added. (I got the "good one", before it was pulled, and no, Allen, you can't have it back!) It's always a soap opera with Klein. I recall he put a tremendous amount of time and effort into a Sam Cooke box set about 10 years ago (time most collectors wished he would've been directed instead towards the long-delayed Cameo/Parkway Box Set). My guess is that Klein didn't want Sam's Keen label "crown jewel" on a Time/Life piece, while launching his pricey, then-new Box Set. Hence, Ricky Nelson in, Sam Cooke out. This is my best educated guess, Fetta.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 September 2006 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

Thanks jimct for your response.    FYI, my disc is also dated 1988.

I am wondering what other of my CDs from the Time Life collections are different. I purchahsed them all in the mid 90s, so I am assuming that I have many discs with different track listings.

How are these sort of changes reflected in the database? As I said before, my copy has "Be Bop Baby", but it is not reflected in the database.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 September 2006 at 5:08am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

When I discover that situations like this exist, I place a notation in the database stating that "You Send Me" is found only on original pressings of this cd. In this case I was not aware that Time-Life reissued the cd and I would bet that if you look at the matrix number stamped into the cd you will find an RE-1. Unfortunately, record companies do not publicize track lineup changes when they loose the rights to certain songs making situations like this very difficult to catch but thanks for the tip and I will search for the revised track lineup version of this cd so I can enter it in the database.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 September 2006 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

My cassette copy of the album had Be Bop Baby on it....but i haven't had the cassette in years (or if i still have it, it's buried in a box somewhere). I just recall that it didn't have Sam Cooke on it though.

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 September 2006 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

Thanks Pat for your response.

And you are correct, the cd does have RE-1 02 stamped on the CD. Does this mean that any Time Life cd with that stamp will have a different track listing than the orignal pressings?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version