Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Def Leppard - Rocket Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 August 2006 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Does anyone know how the 45 version to Def Leppard's "Rocket" sounds? I am only familiar with the long LP version and the "video remix" on Vault. Was the 45 an edit of either of these?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 August 2006 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

aaron....do you need a copy of either the actual 45 or the cd 45 version...i have both....send me an email...

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2007 at 4:18am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Here are my latest findings for this song. The only 45 I have for this is a promo, and it has the same "Lunar Mix" on both sides, with a listed time of (4:17), but an actual time of (4:25). We were also sent a 3-track UK CD single for this (LEPCD 6) to the station, and while there are no timings/notations given as to which version of "Rocket" is featured as cut 1 (tracks 2 & 3 are different songs), it turns out that this CD's version is also the actual (4:25) "Lunar Mix." My brand new Whitburn Pop Annual states the commercial 45 time is (4:17), like my promo 45 also says. Could someone owning a commercial 45 possibly confirm for me that the actual running time for that is also actually (4:25) as well, and not (4:17)?
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Gary

jimct wrote:
Here are my latest findings for this song. The only 45 I have for this is a promo, and it has the same "Lunar Mix" on both sides, with a listed time of (4:17), but an actual time of (4:25). My brand new Whitburn Pop Annual states the commercial 45 time is (4:17), like my promo 45 also says. Could someone owning a commercial 45 possibly confirm for me that the actual running time for that is also actually (4:25) as well, and not (4:17)?

Jim,
I have the commercial 45 on this and it does time out at 4:25. This is the Lunar Mix. I also have this same version on a TM Century(back then Century 21) Hit disc.
Back to Top View Gary's Profile Search for other posts by Gary

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 12 November 2007 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

What is the differene between the "Lunar Mix" & the "video remix"?

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2007 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I've seen the 'Lunar Mix' as a bonus track, but it's in its full length. 8 minutes plus.

Does anyone have edit points for this? Aaron, Ron?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2007 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

eriejwg wrote:
Does anyone have edit points for this? Aaron, Ron?

No, I only have the (4:25) version on The A-List; I don't have the full Hysteria LP anymore.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 May 2011 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

Reviving this old thread... is the remix of Rocket on the Hysteria deluxe edition CD the long version of the "Lunar Mix"? If so, has anyone attempted an edit from this source?
Back to Top View Ringmaster_D's Profile Search for other posts by Ringmaster_D

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 March 2014 at 2:26am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I'm wondering on this one, too. As I remember, the version we played at the top 40 I worked at in 1989 was simply an edit (early fade?) of the LP version.

EDIT: The version we played also chopped off the LP opening.

EDIT 2: It also chopped out the middle section, rather than being an early fade. I think the short version we played ended cold.

Was the Lunar Mix actually a "mix," or just a designation from the record label to make it look like something special?

FWIW, our station later changed to the LP version, which I thought was MUCH better... and also made for an easier run down the hall to the bathroom. :-)

Edited by NightAire on 11 March 2014 at 3:07am

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 March 2014 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The 45 version has a different intro from the LP version, so it cannot be edited from the LP. There may be other differences, but that's as much as I checked.

The "Video Edit" is a shorter edit than the 45 version, mainly cutting out a good portion of the breakdown that starts at 2:44.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Plastic Steel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2016 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote Plastic Steel

I attempted to edit the 8+ minute "Lunar Mix" down to the 45 version and it can't be done. The most noticeable problem was the echo on the first verse around the 0:30 mark (of the single). The 45 doesn't have the echo (or response) on "white night...strange city." The long version has "white night (white night)...strange city (strange city)," continuing like that all throughout the verse, etc.

I likewise found that the version on Vault, the "video remix," matches the 45 except for the missing segment in the breakdown, like Aaron reported. One can splice in 2:49.1 to 3:06.8 of the 45 at the 2:49.1 mark of the "video remix" for the actual single edit. I couldn't hear any other differences, although the intro on the "video mix," at least on Vault, isn't quite as smooth as the 45.

Edited by Plastic Steel on 05 November 2016 at 7:09am
Back to Top View Plastic Steel's Profile Search for other posts by Plastic Steel

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2021 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Some additional info. regarding the single versions for this song, to help clear up some questions from above:

The U.S. 45 version, while labeled "Lunar Mix", is actually an edit that borrows heavily from both the long Lunar Mix and the LP Version. The intro, and if I recall correctly, some of the breakdown, may be
taken from the long remix, but the main body of the song, including the verses, is lifted from the LP Version. That's why you lose all those "response" vocals going from the Lunar Mix "long" version to the "Lunar
Mix" 45 Version. It's been a few years since I worked it out myself, but before the "Lunar Mix" 45 version became commonly available, I had used the LP Version and 8:00 "Lunar Mix" on the 2006 Deluxe Edition of
Hysteria to come up with a pretty flawless remake of the single version.

As noted, the Video Edit is a simple edit of the 45 version, that snips out just a little bit of the breakdown. (Why???)

There is also an outlier, as well. Apparently, the UK 45 featured a different (re-)edit of the LP Version: perhaps it was issued before the "Lunar" mixes were created. Here it is on
Youtube. It seems to be available on commercial and promo 45 in the UK, and remastered now on the super deluxe Hysteria as well. It's a nice straight
edit that loops back to the end of the 1st chorus at around the 3:30 mark to avoid getting into even the tiniest bit of the "breakdown" for some reason, and then after a few measures of the bass-guitar post-chorus
boogie, it jumps forward to the ramping up toward the end of the LP Version and plays out. I wish I had kept edit notes when I remade this one, but it wasn't terribly hard, even if it is a bit ugly.
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

MikeM
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 August 2021 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote MikeM

aaronk wrote:
Does anyone know how the 45 version to Def
Leppard's "Rocket" sounds? I am only familiar with the
long LP version and the "video remix" on Vault.
Was the 45 an edit of either of these?

Check your email
Back to Top View MikeM's Profile Search for other posts by MikeM

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version