Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Cathy Dennis - Touch Me (All Night Long) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 February 2005 at 6:40am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Here's a question that I am surprised hasn't surfaced yet and that is regarding the song "Touch Me (All Night Long)" by Cathy Dennis. From what I can determine, the 45 version is missing from cd in the US. The Album version has been released on cd, the flip side of this vinyl 45 which is called the "hot mix" running 4:00 has been released on many cd's but the "A" side which is called simply the 7" mix has yet to appear on cd. Does anyone remember the "hot mix" being the most played side of this 45 even though it is clearly printed as "side 2" on the commercial vinyl 45?

Edited by Moderator on 16 February 2005 at 7:30am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 February 2005 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The 7" Mix is the one that I'm most familiar with. I actually do have this on a CD that was released here in the U.S., but it wasn't commercially available. It's on a 2-cd compilation called "Hot Dance Mix" (Arista) that came free with your paid subscription to Entertainment Weekly magazine. And yes, I paid for the subscription just to get the CD.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2005 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

I remember buying Cathy Dennis' Move to This CD on Polydor 847267 and thinking that "Touch Me (All Night Long)" was different than the version I remember hearing on the radio. Just so we're clear, does the "hot mix" run 3:59 and appear on CDs like World of Dance - The 90's (Rebound 314520359), Ultra Mix - Dance Hits of the '80s and '90s (Time-Life M18517), and Ultra Mix (Time-Life R123-28)?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 February 2005 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Yes, Todd that is correct, the "hot mix" appears on the cd's you cited. The LP version is a totally different mix than the 7" mix or the "hot mix". The version I remember geting airplay was the 7" mix but I just wanted to check with the other forum members to see what they remember. If this is correct, then this is another song that has yet to appear in its 45 version in the US.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2005 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I ran to the cupboard because I thought I had the promo CD for this, but it's "You Lied to Me." But to continue our list of radio edits, here's what's on that one. It's Polydor CDP 741. It says the Radio Edit was edited by Cathy Dennis, and it appears to be an LP edit. Track two is a remix, but it gives no info on who remixed it.

1. You Lied to Me (Radio Edit) 3:37*
2. You Lied to Me (Sprayed With Edited Attitude) 4:07
3. You Lied to Me (LP Version) 5:25
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2005 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

I just listened to the "hot mix" on the World of Dance - The 90's various artist CD (Rebound 314520359) and it's not the version I remember hearing on Top 40 radio either. Even though I don't have the 7" mix for reference, indicators so far seem to suggest that the 7" mix may well be the version I was most accustomed to hearing as well.

If it's any help, the version I'm most familiar with was always played on Shadoe Stevens' "American Top 40" radio countdown program.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2005 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Brian:

I think the radio edit of "You Lied to Me" on your promo CD single is on the commercial cassette single as well. (I used to have the cassingle.) If this is correct, then the radio edit is the same as the single version.

I'm actually in the process right now of compiling a list of late '80s and '90s songs whose 45 versions differ from their LP versions, but are not acknowledged as such in the 10th edition. I haven't decided if I'm going to post this info in increments (like I did in the "DJ edits" thread) or all at one time.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2005 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yeah, I have the commercial CD single and/or cassette single version of every top ten hit from 1994-2000. I've been thinking about posting that as well. I think I've actually got it all in a list somewhere, but I'll want to double check running times, so it'll take me a long time. Maybe I'll do it by year.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 February 2005 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

If it's any consolation, TM Century's HitDiscs and Gold Discs have the 7" Mix (3:28), which was most likely the first (or only) track on the promo CD single. I'd say that 99% of the songs on their discs from the 90s era have the versions that top 40 radio stations played, so it seems like a safe bet that the 7" Mix is the one to look for.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 December 2005 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Actually, the 7" Mix of "Touch Me" has been commercially released in the USA.

This is a similar case to the different versions of "Greatest Love" and "How Will I Know" found on different copies of Whitney Houston's debut album.

Later pressings of the "Move To This" album included the 7" mix of all its singles:

"Just Another Dream"
"Touch Me"
"Too Many Walls"
"Everybody Move"

In fact, if you look the CD up at Amazon and listen to the streaming samples of "Touch Me" and "Everybody Move", you'll easily identify they are remixes if you know the originals. Not "Just Another Dream" because it is just an edit of the original, while "Too Many Walls" remix is quite subtle.

The CD album with the original versions seems to be out of print.

About the "Touch Me" Hot Mix:

It is an edit of the Club Mix. It was the version used for the video, too.

Shep Pettibone made several Hot Mix versions for different artists.

For Dennis' "Just Another Dream", there is the 7" version, the album, and also the Hot Mix.

Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 December 2005 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Any distnguishing characteristics on the external packaging that would tip me off as to the cd being remastered? The current catalog number seems to be the same as the old catalog number (847267).
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 December 2005 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Hi Pat-

First off, a quick congratulations on this great project and website. As a music fan, it inspires my biggest respect. I discovered it two days ago and can't stop posting.

Unfortunately I only own a copy of the CD album with the original versions (I bought it shortly after its release).

The person who supplied this interesting info was Mike Schiller, he had an amazing Cathy Dennis discography website. I had him bookmarked but the website is no longer available (maybe somebody recalls it and saved the pages for reference, just in case it rings anyone's bell, here's the inactive link http://www.mike-schiller.com/CathyDennis/discography.html).

Now, I do distinctively remember reading on his site that there was no way of telling from the packaging because it looked identical to the earlier released album.

Maybe somebody in the forum owns the latter released version?

I didn't buy it myself because I have all those mixes on their respective singles.

Sorry I can't provide more information at this time!

Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 December 2005 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

I would say the 7" Mix is definitely the most known to the popular ear.

Yet another proof, it was the lead track on the USA promo CD single (CDP 386):

1. Touch Me (All Night Long) 7" Mix 3:36
2. Touch Me (All Night Long) 4:07
3. Touch Me (All Night Long) Hot Mix 4:03

If you look at the back cover of the originally released album, "Touch Me" claims to be a production by Cathy Dennis and Phil Bodger.

Makes sense since Shep Pettibone came into the scene later, when he reworked the track for its release as a single, and he created the 7" mix.

A similar situation happened with "Just Another Dream" as I can recall, it was first released in the UK produced by (if I haven't forgotten) Paul Simpson, a completely different sound than the track we heard on American Top 40. It didn't do well at all.

Pettibone then remixed the song, it was revamped as a single and it performed way better. In the US, only the latter Pettibone mix was used to promote the song.

One more comment on the Hot Mixes: I think Pettibone's idea of the Hot Mix was very close to what nowadays is commonly known as the mix-show mix. Their length was a bit longer than the main radio mix, but definitely shorter than its club version.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 December 2005 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Did a little research and the main producer of the original "Just Another Dream" was Danny D, apparently Paul Simpson only helped with some additional production, but he did make a remix fully credited to him, which was later released in the 5 track commercial US CD single (877 963-2).

1. 7"
2.Club Mix
3.The Dream Mix
4.Paul Simpson US Mix
5.Funky Love Mix

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 December 2005 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Hi, elcoeccionista, and welcome to the board!

I have been searching for the 45 version (7" mix) of "Touch Me (All Night Long)" on CD for a long time, but with no success. I'm amazed to read your report that the 45 version is supposedly now widely available on the most recent pressings of the Cathy Dennis Move to This CD. My general question to the board is, does anybody actually have a recent pressing in their possession who can 100% confirm this?

Also, what is the difference between the single and album version of "Just Another Dream"? I always thought they were both the same.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 December 2005 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Thanks Todd!

Regarding the 7" mix of "Just Another Dream", I apologize because I wasn't specific enough. Here's the deal:

The 7" mix found in UK single releases runs for 3:57 minutes.

The 7" mix in the USA runs for 4:03 (this one is actually the same one found on the album, so could have very well been called album version)

Their duration is basically the same, they differ structurally, I'll try to list the two UK 7" differences:

1) The instrumental break after the second chorus, before she goes into the third verse (...could be it's just illusion...) is shorter on the UK 7".

2) After the third chorus which is almost acappella, Danny D repeat "Just another dream" four times without Dennis, and then we go into the final chorus which quickly fades out.

On the UK 7", the part where he's singing on his own was taken off, and the final chorus holds out for a bit longer than the US 7", thus reaching an almost equal duration.

Ermmm, did I make myself clear? : P

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 December 2005 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Yes. Thanks, elcoleccionista. For the purposes of the database, I guess Pat won't need to add any commentary for "Just Another Dream" since it sounds like the single and album version are indeed the same.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 03 December 2005 at 6:24pm

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 December 2005 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

for whomever cares...below are the official descriptions of the tracks from cathy dennis's 90's hits as taken from eaches cassingle

c'mon and get my love   (7" mix--3:51)
just another dream     (7"--4:01)
touch me (all night long)    (7" mix--3:31)
too many walls       (radio mix--4:03)
you lied to me     (radio edit--3:41)

hope this helps

edtop40

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 December 2005 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

todd & all.....i have all the single version (ie the versions listed above on cassingle) on cd.......whould anyone what copies of the cassingle versions or their digital counterparts.....lmk edtop40

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2006 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Last night, I visited I-Tunes and downloaded Cathy Dennis' "Touch Me (All Night Long)" from her Move to This album. In an earlier post, elcoleccionista claimed that the single version appears on later pressings of this CD, so I thought I'd check and see if the track available for download from the Move to This album on I-Tunes was perhaps the single version. No dice. It's the LP version running 4:08 that I have on my CD copy of Move to This.

Still wondering if anybody has come across a copy of this CD containing the single versions of Cathy Dennis' Top 40 hits?

(Ed, I'm probably going to take you up on your offer above.)

Edited by Todd Ireland on 08 March 2006 at 1:01pm

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version