Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: toni braxton "how many ways" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 20 2006 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

this is a tricky one

the song "how many ways" which reached double-sided hits status in late 1994 and into 1995 was issued on laface 24081 also contained the song "i belong to you"

the version on the cassingle for "i belong to you" is identical to the version from the full cd/lp "toni braxton" and runs 3:52.....easy

the version on the cassingle of "how many ways" is another matter....the cassingle states the version as the "r. kelly mix" and can ONLY be found on the import cd of toni's "ultimate" 2 cd set issued as the bonus disc......BUT.....the bonus disc version runs 5:49......while the cassingle version fades out to the 4:39 mark starting at the 4:25 mark.........so....the note in the db about the usa cd "ultimate" which claims to contain the "45 length" might want to be reviewed.......pat....can you confirm the your 45 issued as 24081 truely runs 4:26 and is identical to the version on the usa release of "ultimate".....or this might be another example of the 45 and the cassingle versions of a hit having two distinct versions...........lmk....

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: July 20 2006 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

ed - there was no 7" single for How Many Ways in the US...
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: July 20 2006 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

thank you for that insight.....i didn't know that...

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: July 21 2006 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

The 45 length comment for "How Many Ways" must have been passed along to me by a contributor as I do not have the cassette single to compare with what is on the "Ultimate" cd. Anyone else have both the cassette single and "Ultimate" cd to sort this out?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: July 23 2006 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

I do.

The cassette features an edit of the R. Kelly Remix (otherwise only available on a US Promo CD I believe), and the Ultimate CD features an edit of the LP Version.

The full R. Kelly mix is available on the US "I Belong To You/How Many Ways" CD Maxi Single and import copies of Ultimate.

I recall seeing videos for both versions, the R. Kelly mix was featured on the BET network I believe while MTV/VH1/The Box favored the LP mix.
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: July 23 2006 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

no...the r kelly remix vesion is NOT available on the promo cd single.....it's currently available on ebay and i emailed the seller, and they confirmed that the cassingle version is NOT on that promo cd single.........as far as i can tell it's only available on the import 2 cd set "ultimate" as the bonus disc...and that version is in it's full length

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: December 05 2010 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

I recall back when the print format of the database was first converted to its current electronic form, there were some problems with comments getting cut off when quotation marks were present. I've found another such instance with Toni Braxton's "How Many Ways" which is presently stated in the database as follows:

1995 - HOW MANY WAYS (the cassette single contains the)

Meanwhile, I have this song in a shorter 4:17 edit on my Promo Only Mainstream Radio CD subscription series. I'm wondering if this is an official DJ edit or a custom-made one by Promo Only. Ed (or anyone else who can answer), is there a 4:17 edit on the "How Many Ways" promo CD single?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: December 06 2010 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

edtop40 wrote:
no...the r kelly remix vesion is NOT available on the promo cd single.....it's currently available on ebay and i emailed the seller, and they confirmed that the cassingle version is NOT on that promo cd single.........as far as i can tell it's only available on the import 2 cd set "ultimate" as the bonus disc...and that version is in it's full length
Ed, I do often wish that you would provide us with more specific details when you make posts, especially regarding inventory numbers/actual times. I know it would be more work for you, and I know you're busy, but it does make it harder for us to "crack" certain cases. like this one. For instance, did you get a stock # for that promo CD single when you spoke with that dealer? Because I can't really match up his answers to you with my promo CD single's details. And another promo may indeed exist. But it is just so much harder to proceed with investigating its existence without a few more specifics. Here are the details for mine:

Toni Braxton-"How Many Ways" (LFPCD-4081)
1-Radio Edit (Album Version) (listed & actual 4:20)
2-R. Kelly (Radio Edit) (listed & actual 4:02)
3-The VIII (Radio Edit) (listed & actual 4:17)
4-Bad Boy Mix (Radio Edit) (listed & actual 4:17)

I also checked my friend Tom's inventory, and he also only owns the same promo CD single for it that I do. But I believe you stated that your cassingle version runs (4:39). Maybe you rejected the above promo because the R. Kelly mix on mine runs :37 shorter than your cassingle, but I'm only guessing here. The good news is that the last two tracks on my promo run (4:17), which appears to help Todd a bit here, although I don't know which of the two (4:17) versions match up with your Promo Only CD, so I'll shoot them both out to you to compare.

Edited by jimct on December 06 2010 at 6:19pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: December 07 2010 at 1:35am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

As promised, Jim kindly sent me an mp3 of Tracks 3 and 4 from his "How Many Ways" promo CD single. It turns out they are very different mixes than the 4:17 edit on my Promo Only disc. I'm now wondering if the 4:17 edit could actually be the same as the "Radio Edit (Album Version)" appearing as Track 1 on the promo CD single but faded :03 sooner? It wouldn't mark the first time a track on a Promo Only disc has bailed out early.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

JL328
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: February 14 2013 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote JL328

This thread was started in 2006 before the Essential Toni Braxton came out.

Is the extended R. Kelly remix on the Essential the same that is on the import "Ultimate" CD referenced above? That is... is the extended R. Kelly remix on the Essential the same mix as the US cassingle version, just longer?

If so, can the version on the Essential be edited or faded to match the 4:39 cassingle version?

Thanks.

Edited by JL328 on February 14 2013 at 7:35am
Back to Top View JL328's Profile Search for other posts by JL328

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version