Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: immature "never lie" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 July 2006 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the cassingle issued as mca 54850 contains a version with no description but is identical to the full cd/lp version from "playtime is over" and runs 4:10......the db should make the distinction that the radio edit and the remix listed therein are NOT the single version

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2006 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I always just assumed the CD/LP version of "Never Lie" and the commercial single were the same. When a 45 and LP version are identical, there's not really a need to explicitly document this in the database, is there? (Unless of course there was a widespread misconception that the radio edit or remix of "Never Lie" is the single version.)
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

What's the difference between the Radio Version and LP/45 version (other than the run time)? Is it an edit, early fade, or different mix?

Our station played this from a promo CD that also contained a "no talk" intro. I don't recall the official name of that version, but it was essentially the same as the radio version, but the talking was missing, and I believe it shorted the instrumental intro in half.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron, I do not own the LP/45 version of this song, which, based on your comments, includes talk at the start of it. However, neither cut on the promo CD single we got in for the song back in 1994 starts with talk. The only difference I can discern between the two tracks is that, as you correctly remember, the instrumental intro is just about cut in half on cut 2. Here are the details:

Immature-"Never Lie" (MCA5P-3190)
1-Radio Version (listed 4:04; actual 4:03)
2-Radio Version II (listed & actual 3:50) **

** - version we played on-air at my station as a current

Edited by jimct on 01 September 2009 at 8:23pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jim, thanks for the details, sir! There is definitely a promo with a "Radio Version" that starts with the acoustic guitar and talking over the intro ("Friends come a dime a dozen..."). In fact, I think this might have been the only promo we received. I just checked my database and found this song on a Network 40 radio compilation disc (#72), which jogged my memory. Our station played the talkless intro version from the Network 40 CD and not the promo CD that you have.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron, after your most recent post, I checked my friend Tom's master promo CD single inventory file, and, sure enough, he has TWO other promo CD singles! One features "live" versions of "Never Lie" (although I don't know if all 4 tracks on this disc are live.) Usually, MCA did occasionally release promo-only, "live" versions of current hits, later during its hit chart run, at least once or twice a year, when available. MCA was the only major label to do this with any regularity during these years, to my recollection (MCA5P-3219). Tom's other promo CD single is a 5-track promo, with a catalog # of MCA5P-3021. My best guess is that this last promo likely contains your "Radio Version", Aaron, and I have just added this promo to my personal want list as well.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'll keep my eye open for a copy, Jim. Thanks for the additional details!

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 July 2013 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I don't think we ever got to the bottom of this one... I did an A/B comparison between Immature's "Never Lie" on the Playtyme Is Over parent CD (MCA 11068) and the "Radio Version" of the track on the group's Greatest Hits (Hip-O 088112447) disc. As best as I can tell, the "Radio Version" on the latter CD is just an early fade of the 45/LP length.

Now, was anyone ever able to confirm the existence of two different tracks called the "Radio Version" on promo CD single where one contains talking during the intro and the other one doesn't?

Smokin' TomGary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 July 2013 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Smokin' TomGary

To answer your question, Todd the answers are "yes" and "no". Promo CD MCA5P-3190 has Radio Version and Radio Version II. The first track has a :28 intro and the second has a :14 intro, neither with vocal.

Promo CD MCA5P-3021 has Track 1 Radio Version with the vocal intro. It has 5 tracks total.

There is also MCA5P-3219 with 4 live tracks.

Stock CD MCADM-54949 has 3 versions of "Constantly" and the da'bomb street mix of Never Lie.
Back to Top View Smokin' TomGary's Profile Search for other posts by Smokin' TomGary

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 July 2013 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Tom, if you have run time info for promo CD MCA5P-3021, would you be so kind to pass this on to us please?

It looks like the database is going to need to clarify that there are two different versions of "Never Lie" on promo CD singles where both are listed as the "Radio Version". The Immature/IMx Greatest Hits CD contains the "Radio Version" with spoken intro, which is actually just an early fade of the 45 and LP length.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 25 July 2013 at 7:54pm

Smokin' TomGary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 July 2013 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Smokin' TomGary

MCA5P-3021

1-Radio Version 4:04 listed; 4:02 actual
2-Album Version 4:14 listed; 4:11 actual
3-Ocean Sea Remix 4:51 listed; 4:50 actual
4-Padapella Version 4:14 listed; 4:11 actual
5-Instrumental Version 4:13 listed; 4:11 actual
Back to Top View Smokin' TomGary's Profile Search for other posts by Smokin' TomGary

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version