Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Sheena Easton-"For Your Eyes Only" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 July 2006 at 2:33am | IP Logged Quote jimct

This is a short song, for 1981 anyhow, but if I think back to songs that were "sped up" for 45 release, the most blatantly detectable and obvious, at least to my ear, was always this one. Database times for CDs on this song vary from (2:58) to (3:03). I thought the "James Bond" album version sounded awful and painfully slow, compared to the sped-up 45 version, which I thought improved it by 1000%.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 05 July 2006 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

and Jim, my Pop Annual (1955-1994 ed.) states the run time as 2:52. Anyone have the single to confirm the speed and if it does indeed fade out at 2:52?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Really, David, 2:52? I knew it was faster, but by THAT much? Wow! I have both stock and promo on it. I'll pull both out and time them. Thanks for the tip.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Didn't get the keys to our music closet 'til '82, and we played this one off the 45 due to the pitch difference, so I guess I couldn't snag a promo 45 of it. However, my stock 45 has a listed time of (3:03), but an actual time of (2:54). I know :09 faster means it was sped up a LOT - in this case, however, I believe it is plausible. As I mentioned earlier, to me, this song has as severe a 45 speed-up difference vs. the LP speed as I can EVER remember.

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 05 July 2006 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

thanks, Jim. now, does this mean the version on "The Singles" that runs 2:58 is the correct single speed, but perhaps holds the final note a tad longer? Hope so!

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

The final note of "For Your Eyes Only" on Sheena Easton's The Singles CD does linger for a long time so I wouldn't be surprised if it was faded out a little earlier on the 45. Of course, I'd be happy to compare the CD to the 45 if anyone wants to e-mail a 45 dub to me. (Please contact me via Private Messenger if you don't have my address.)

Edited by Todd Ireland on 06 July 2006 at 7:30am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks to Jim who has kindly supplied a dub of his "For Your Eyes Only" 45, I came up with several observations when comparing the 45 to its counterpart on Sheena Easton's World Of: The Singles Collection CD (EMI 81491):

1) I clocked the 45 run time on my digital editing software at exactly 2:55. Because the song fades in at the beginning and fades out at the end, it can be difficult to determine the exact points where the audio signal begins and ends. I have Klipsch THX speakers for my computer, which are fairly high end, and I always make it a point to crank the volume way up when listening for any trace of an audio signal. Assuming Jim's turntable speed is accurate, I feel confident that I have pinpointed the correct 45 run time.

2) The vinyl 45 runs approximately :02 faster than the song does on the The Singles Collection CD. Still, the CD is much closer to the actual 45 speed than other disc appearances where the song runs 3:01-3:04.

3) The ending fade on the CD runs approximately :01 longer than the 45.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version