Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Versions which surprised you Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 July 2006 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote torcan

Since not everyone who posts here works in radio, I'm just curious if there's ever been version of songs that you were surprised existed?

For example, and older thread on this forum mentioned the single version of Air Supply's "Every Woman in the World". When this song was a hit, I only ever heard the album version on radio stations near where I live (I always listened to Toronto and Buffalo stations). I think the first time I heard the single version was on "Solid Gold". Personally, I prefer the album version on this one.

Another that comes to mind is Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart". I originally bought the Canadian single, which ran 5:30. That's the only version I heard on the radio when the song was a hit so I thought I was getting the full version. It really caught me by surprise when listening to a year-end retrospective that I heard the longer album version for the first time. Since it was one of my favorite songs, I immediately went out and bought the album, and actually prefer the longer version.

I know there are others but those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

Anyone else got any?
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

There were tons of them, Torcan. I think this is one of those type of threads that Pat may frown upon a bit, because it's basically an "opinion" thread, and not really based on investigative/substantive factual info, which he prefers. He mentions this in the "Chat Board Rules." But I'll give you 2 that quickly come to mind, from the radio perspective. We had to switch over to the stock 45 length version of "Money For Nothing" because the "little faggot" line was edited out from both sides of our promo 45, and the listeners seemed to prefer it in there. Luckily, I knew the stock 45 had it on there. Also, in 1977, we had to go to the LP version of "Ariel" by Dean Friedman, because the "Jewish girl" line was edited out from the 45. We got a few phone calls on it, saying we "chopped out the best part!"
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

anthology123
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote anthology123

I liked the 45 mix of The Fixx 'One thing leads to another' - the LP version
omits the sound effect intro, which IMO is what helps make that song a hit.
Back to Top View anthology123's Profile Search for other posts by anthology123

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

On the other hand, Jim, I could mention some songs that I never knew had 45/LP versions before reading Pat's books/subscribing to his database. For example, "We Just Disagree" by Dave Mason, "Thinking Of You" by Loggins & Messina and "Deeper And Deeper" by Freda Payne are songs that I didn't know had 45 versions until getting the books (I never was a huge vinyl collector--although I listened to a lot of radio). And many of my posts gravitate toward the theme of "what's the difference between the 45 and LP of (insert song title here)."

Edited by sriv94 on 06 July 2006 at 2:16pm

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I see your point, Doug. I guess the topic wording "versions that surprised you" threw me off. It could refer the 45/LP differences you speak of. Hey, just trying to help a new guy. No malice intended, Torcan.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote torcan

jimct wrote:
I see your point, Doug. I guess the topic wording "versions that surprised you" threw me off. It could refer the 45/LP differences you speak of. Hey, just trying to help a new guy. No malice intended, Torcan.

Hey...no problem. I guess I could have worded that a bit better! I realize as a new guy sometimes I get carried away with my love for music, and if the thread was a little off-topic, I apologize :)
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 July 2006 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

torcan wrote:

Another that comes to mind is Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart". I originally bought the Canadian single, which ran 5:30. That's the only version I heard on the radio when the song was a hit so I thought I was getting the full version. It really caught me by surprise when listening to a year-end retrospective that I heard the longer album version for the first time.

I just went through a few boxes of old 45s I have stored in my closet. Turns out my U.S.Columbia 45 of this song runs 5:31 but the time listed on the label is 4:24.
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version