Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Foreign Versions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 June 2006 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote torcan

I've only been on this board a short while and tried to read as many of the older posts as I can, and I haven't been able to make a determination on this one way or the other.

Are you folks here interested in versions of singles released on other countries, or is it just primarily what was released in the US?

My 45 collection is about 45% Canadian, 45% US and about 10% foreign. Most of the time the 45 version you had in the States was the exact same as we had in Canada, but over time there were some differences here and there.

I was looking at some 45s recently and noticed things like Phil Collins "One More Night" has a 3:55 timing on the Canadian single, but 4:25 on the US single. Or that Tears for Fears "Shout" clocks in at 5:39 in Canada, but (according to Whitburn, IIRC) 3:59 in the States.

Is there much interest in stuff like that - or would that make this whole thing too big of a project?
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2006 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote Grant

I can't speak for Pat, but I think he makes it clear that we deal with U.S. CDs.
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 June 2006 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm always interested in finding out info like that, even if it's something that Pat is not going to use in the database.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2006 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

I agree with Aaron, and that's the way it seems to works anyway, even though the scope of the forum is officialy US releases, we all collaborate with relevant info on import releases. I think this is especially helpful since there is a wealth of import CD singles only available on vinyl and/or cassette in the USA.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2006 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

The database is US releases... we can discuss whatever versions we want on the board.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2006 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I agree with Aaron, too. I think foreign releases are of interest to a lot of us.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2006 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Yeah, like my CAD 45 of Chic - Le Freak fades at 3:36, a couple seconds later than the U.S. 45 (was always wondering why the timing on the U.S. 45 version was less then my single).

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 June 2006 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote torcan

davidclark wrote:
Yeah, like my CAD 45 of Chic - Le Freak fades at 3:36, a couple seconds later than the U.S. 45 (was always wondering why the timing on the U.S. 45 version was less then my single).

That's surprising. In the late '80s I applied for employment at a record company based in Toronto. I had long discussions with someone who was responsible for the mixes and timing on vinyl singles. I remember discussing a particular single where the B-side was different in Canada than it was the States, and he stated "we get the masters from the States and it comes with the B-side, but occasionally we change them up a bit".

I guess that's one reason why Canadian singles were virtually identical to US singles, but it doesn't explain why the Chic single is different. I guess sometimes Canadian record companies did their own masters rather than using the ones from the US and that's where the differences come in.
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

The Moody Blues 45 of Ride My See Saw had a different mix on the Canadian 45 than on the American one, and the Canadian version has always bugged me.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version