Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Aretha Franklin-"Ain’t No Way" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 June 2006 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote jimct

This song peaked at #16 on BB in 1968, and was the flip side of her #5 hit, "Since You've Been Gone." "Ain't No Way" does not appear in Pat's database, I'm guessing, due to low peak positions in Cashbox/Record World. I thought it might still be of interest to my friends on the Board, however. I do have a promo 45, where "Ain't No Way" is contained on BOTH sides. The listed (4:12) stock 45 version side, on the promo, says "Complete Version", and actually runs (4:11). The flip, called "Shortened Version", has a listed time of (2:40), but actually runs (2:50). Since Whitburn indicates late MARCH as the peak week for "Since You've Been Gone", and early MAY as the peak week for "Ain't No Way", it does NOT appear to me that all chart appearances for "Ain't No Way" were simply a result of it "piggy-backing" as "Side B" of a double-sided hit. This promo 45 (with BOTH sides stereo; rare for very early 1968) may provide even further evidence of this track being worthy, perhaps, of a separate chart entry.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 June 2006 at 5:07am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Ain't No Way peaked at #71 in Cash box.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2006 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Grant

That "Ain't No Way" ranks at #16 in Billboard I think certainly quazlifies it for a seperate entry.

Fantastic track, BTW. It's always been one of my absolute favorites!
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2006 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote jimct

I think Pat's long-standing "consensus" system was well thought out, and has served us all well. I do know that many of us, rightly or wrongly, happen to use the Billboard positions as our prime chart peak reference. I only brought the song up for that reason, as well as the fact that some guys (like that bloodhound, Todd) are always "on the prowl" for shorter promo versions of songs that run commercially over 4:00, and that one qualified. The Board seemed to be the right place for me to "get the info out there", that's all. I did not intend to open up an unproductive can of worms here, my good friends.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version