Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Mr. Jaws" - Dickie Goodman Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 June 2006 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Pat, here's one for you (but if anyone else wants to chime in, feel free).

I've noticed the three CDs with the "45 version" designation for "Mr. Jaws" all have a note saying that a brief portion of the opening sound effects are missing. So my question is are the sound effects correct on the LP version (ergo, I'd be able to dovetail the rest of the 45 version to the beginning of the LP version to have the correct 45 version)? Thanks.

Sidenote--years ago, I had helped Pat discover that there even was an LP version of "Mr. Jaws." On the LP version, the snippets of "Please Mr. Please" and "Rhinestone Cowboy" are not from the original recordings (in case anyone was wondering).

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 June 2006 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote Grant

I have only ever heard the 45, of which I have two copies, and it, of course, contains all of the original song snippets.

Sorry, since i'venever heard an LP, I cannot comment on the sound effects. So, bottom line: if you want the actual hit, you must seek out the original Rainy Day 45.   
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 June 2006 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I got the LP version via the Time-Life Dr. Demento--The Mid '70s CD. So the only thing I'm not sure of is whether the sound FX at the beginning will match the ones snipped out on the Varese CD (which otherwise has the 45 version).

I suppose I could just try dovetailing it anyway, but if Pat or anyone else knows for sure, chime on in.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 June 2006 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Yes it is the ocean sound effects on the very beginning of the 45 that are missing and you could borrow those brief sound effects from the LP version on Time-Life R830-01 to splice on to the incorrect intro on the other cd's that I list to make a correct 45 version.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 June 2006 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

What do you mean "ocean sound effects," Pat? I just bought Time-Life R830-01, and I don't hear any ocean sound effects at the opening of the song... just the Jaws music.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 June 2006 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Brian, on the 45 along with the cello (the "Jaws" music) there are sounds of the ocean (like waves or something) in the background. Would you like an MP3 of it to hear?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 June 2006 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yes, please. But I don't hear these on the CD Pat references.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 June 2006 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

This one's a toughie. The sound quality on the two CDs is just different enough for me to not be able to really make a smooth sounding single version (of course, I don't really have the equipment that some of you have to make it work)--in other words, it would sound like I tacked one onto the other.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just heard the so-called "45 version" on the Varese CD, and it is NOT the 45 version. The CD has a bunch of added reverb that is not present on the original 45 and LP versions. In fact, the 45 and LP versions of this one are completely dry. It looks like the database will need to be updated with a "neither" comment for this one, and possibly the other "45 version" on CD, too.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I contacted one of the mastering engineers on the Varese CD, and he told me they did not have the master tape for "Mr. Jaws." What they used they got on a CD-R from Dickie Goodman's son... at least, to the best of his recollection.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

On Napster, there is a number of Dickie Goodman recordings.
"Mr. Jaws" appears to be on the Goodman Brothers Label, features to me what sounds like the original recordings of "Please Mr. Please" and "Rhinestone Cowboy."
The album is labeled Dickie Goodman All Time Novelty Hits (Out of Print, Digital Only, Live, Remastered, Collection, Bonus Tracks). Whew, what a mouthful!
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Wanted to add, every time I see the word Remastered, that usually means processing of some kind. There is echo present on the Napster file I bought, so I'd imagine its the same file they used for the Varese CD.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Those recordings are available on iTunes as well. Suffice it to say some of the remastering wasn't done all that well (pops very much intact on some tracks).

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Many years ago, I found myself intrigued with the cash-in album Mr. Jaws and other Fables by Dickie Goodman, which came out on Cash Records (CR 6000, released 1975) and was distributed by Private Stock. The album has "Mr. Jaws", "Energy Crisis", "Superfly Meets Shaft", and 7 '50s and '60s-era tracks.

I noticed that for the three '70s era tracks, there were quite a few rerecordings in the sampled song bits. In a fit of enthusiasm, I strung together the "hit" samples from the '70s era singles 45s, paired with the rerecorded samples that ended up on the Mr. Jaws album and (as far as I know) all subsequent releases of the Dickie Goodman tracks.

I've uploaded my creation, which clocks in at under two minutes, here.

The rerecorded tracks are for the following songs:

Please Mr. Postman
Rhinestone Cowboy
Me And Mrs. Jones
Love Train
more Me And Mrs. Jones
Leave Me Alone
Helen Wheels
Mind Games
The Joker
(Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - true Elton John version on 45, completely omitted for subsequent releases)
Hello It's Me
You're Sixteen
The Most Beautiful Girl
(Top Of The World - true Carpenters version on 45, completely omitted for subsequent releases)

Hopefully, you'll find this useful. (Up until now, I've gleefully considered this audio creation as my biggest waste of time, EVER!)

Edited by crapfromthepast on 02 January 2008 at 10:13pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2008 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Quick nitpick, Ron--it's "Please Mr. Please," not "Please Mr. Postman."

I've downloaded several of the Dickie Goodman tracks from iTunes (echo, occasional surface noise and all)--among them "Energy Crisis '74," "Superfly Meets Shaft," "Watergrate," "Mr. President," and "Kong." As far as I can tell, all of the samples were authentic (not rerecorded).

Edited by sriv94 on 03 January 2008 at 8:31am

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2008 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Woops! I must have had Carpenters on the brain, since "Top Of The World" was one of the samples. That's what I get for typing in a hurry in the wee hours...
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2008 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

Well, I sidestepped all of it and just did needle drops of the original 45s that I have. I even got a new 45 of Grand Canyon's "Evil Boll-Wevil".

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 November 2008 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks to Doug, I was just able to hear the Dr. Demento CD with "Mr. Jaws." Although it's very hard to tell, this CD also contains a vinyl dub. I wouldn't have noticed, except I've done enough of them myself to be able to spot the record noise trailing the fade out for about a half second. Whomever mastered this from vinyl did a very nice job.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 November 2008 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yes, I don't think anybody knows where the Dickie Goodman tapes are. "The Flying Saucer" has never been released on CD from tape, either. Even the radio announcer parts are from disc.

The Varese "Novelty" CD is the only place to get it with the original drop-ins. I contacted Marty Wekser, who mastered that comp, to ask him if the master tape for "Flying Saucer" still exists. His initial memory was that they had used the master tape and that the crackles were due to actual records being used for the drop-ins.

When I pointed out that there were crackles during the voiceover parts as well, he said that the master tape must not have been available.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 November 2008 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

With all the Dickie Goodman records, I'm reasonably certain that Dickie used vinyl records for all the drop-ins (as I'm sure no record label would supply him with master tapes for this). So the master tape version would still be very vinyl-sounding except for the Dickie vocal parts.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version