Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Kinks - Lola "Coca-Cola" v. "cherry cola" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 June 2006 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

For some reason, I always thought the "coca-cola" version of "Lola" was the rare and hard-to-find version. Recently, I looked it up in the database, and it's the "cherry cola" version that doesn't seem to appear on a domestic CD.

Which is the hit version? I always thought it was the "cherry cola" version. I have the "cherry cola" lyrics on a TM Century CD. Does anyone know where they might have snagged this version from? It's perfect sound quality, and it's certainly not mastered from vinyl.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 June 2006 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

"Cherry cola" is the mono single version. "Coca-Cola" is the stereo album mix.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 June 2006 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Is it my imagination, or is the "cherry cola" version a little slower than the "Coca Cola" version?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 June 2006 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

aaronk wrote:
For some reason, I always thought the "coca-cola" version of "Lola" was the rare and hard-to-find version. Recently, I looked it up in the database, and it's the "cherry cola" version that doesn't seem to appear on a domestic CD.

Which is the hit version? I always thought it was the "cherry cola" version. I have the "cherry cola" lyrics on a TM Century CD. Does anyone know where they might have snagged this version from? It's perfect sound quality, and it's certainly not mastered from vinyl.
Aaron, I have the "cherry cola" version on the 3-CD Castle Communications UK import "Remastered" (ESB CD 268). England is VERY strict in not allowing "brand names" to be aired in songs on the radio, necessitating the word change from "Coca" to "cherry". My 1970 US Reprise 45 also has "cherry" on it. The band and die-hard "original version" Kinks fans probably always preferred the "Coca" version, and thought the lyric change was BS - the "Coca" lyric has always had more "street cred", IMHO.

Edited by jimct on 03 June 2006 at 1:07am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 April 2007 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45 is in mono, has the "cherry cola" lyric, has a listed time of (4:06), but an actual time of (4:02).

jcr102
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 April 2007 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote jcr102

My 1970 Pye 45 in Ontario used "cherry-cola". The same version was played on the radio here.
Back to Top View jcr102's Profile Search for other posts by jcr102

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 April 2007 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Was anyone ever to pinpoint whether the "cherry-cola" version is in fact slower than the "Coca-Cola" version? (Sounds that way to me on the version I have, but then again it may have been mastered incorrectly.)

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 April 2007 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Doug, since the two "Coca-Cola" CD version lengths in the database are (4:01) and (4:02), and my "cherry cola" 45 time is (4:02), there does NOT appear to me to be a speed difference between the two versions. Perhaps you can time the version you have, and see if it indeed runs longer than (4:02).

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 April 2007 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

My version runs (4:10)--I had downloaded it from the Real Player Music Store (not to be confused with Rhapsody). I sped it up to try to match the pitch of the "Coca-Cola" version (from the Lola Versus The I Can't Remember The Rest Of The Name Of The CD), and that made it (4:05).

I'm at work now, but I can forward you a copy later this evening for comparison purposes (maybe what I have isn't the actual single, but an alternate take, but with the "cherry cola" lyric). Let me know.

Edited by sriv94 on 03 April 2007 at 7:14am

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I was surprised to see that only ONE Kinks CD has a studio version of "Lola" (and it's the "Coca Cola" version). You'd think the studio versions would be on more domestic CDs.

Andrew C indicates that the "Cherry Cola" version is on the mono single. Is there a stereo version of this version on CD (or even on vinyl?) Jim, is your 3-CD Castle CD (with "cherry") in stereo?

Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote abagon

The "Cherry Cola" mono version has been released on a CD in Japan in 1992. This compilation CD's title is "Love Potion Number Nine - Top Pop Hits On Pye" (PRT Records by Teichiku Records Co. Ltd. FTCP 30164). I compared the CD version with the U.S. commercial mono 45. The CD is longer than the 45, and a little slow. The running time of this CD version is 4:06. But the sound quality is not clear.

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To EdisonLite:

I have the "Coca-Cola" STEREO version in fine sound on my 1986 British import CD PRT CDMP8836 'Lola versus Powerman and the Moneygoround Part One'.

Wow, what an LP title...

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Jim, did I ever forward you my copy to test to see if my version is an alternate take or if it's just much slower than how the 45 should be?

/And if anyone else wants to take on analyzing it, let me know and I'd be happy to forward it on.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

jimct wrote:
The band and die-hard "original version" Kinks fans probably always preferred the "Coca" version, and thought the lyric change was BS -

I had always heard that too, but in the late 90s our classic rock station carried some live-in-concert show (might have been King Biscuit Flower Hour) and they sang cherry cola in it. Not sure when this particular concert was recorded, but it was definitely late-70s or later since some of their Arista material was featured.

Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

sriv94 wrote:
Jim, did I ever forward you my copy to test to see if my version is an alternate take or if it's just much slower than how the 45 should be?

/And if anyone else wants to take on analyzing it, let me know and I'd be happy to forward it on.

You know what? I just noticed my copy has about five seconds of silence following the song. So the actual run time is about (4:05), so if you speed it up properly, it would run (4:02) and be the correct single speed.

OK, that question answered. (Not bad for my 800th.)

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

I just A/B'd my Reprise stock 45 with the track on my promo LP of Lola Versus Powerman And The Moneygoround (with "Part One" shown on the front cover and spine, but not on the label itself) and you were right about the 45 being slower, Doug. I came up with an actual 45 time of a just-barely (4:03) and an actual LP time of (4:01.9) before it tracks into "Top Of The Pops." While the faster LP track contains maybe a half-second more music, the fade begins noticeably earlier, and is much more gradual than it is on the 45.

Some other interesting 45/LP "Lola" differences:

1. Different vocals on the verse which immediately follows the "cola wars":

"She walked up to me and she asked me to dance
I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice she said Lola.
El-oh-el-aye Lola. La la la la Lola..."

This verse is a solo lead vocal on the 45, but is sung in two-part harmony on the LP.

2. At 2:42 on the LP version, the word "well" in the line "well I left home just a week before..." is sung differently on the 45, with the second voice coming in midway through that word.

3. And from 3:20 (3:22 on the 45) through the fadeout, the lead guitar parts are entirely different between the album and single versions. The 45's lead guitar at this point is more prominent, too.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 August 2014 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

The mono single version containing the "cherry cola" lyric
can also be had on the recent two CD deluxe edition of Lola
Versus Powerman And The Moneygoround on the Sanctuary label
(and yes it's a US release).

sriv94
MusicFan