Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: peter cetera "next time i fall" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 June 2006 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

does anyone have this song on cd.........does anyone's copy have a glitch at the 0:46 mark of the song.......when amy grant is singing the verse "but my heart...".....my cd has a glitch and was wonder if this was unique to my cd or if it's a master issue.........edtop40

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Ed, I suppose you meant "put my heart".

I have the song on a German edition of Cetera's "Solitude/Solitaire" album. Just checked and don't hear any defects there.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

The USA single is a remix.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

The version on Amy Grant's Greatest Hits 1986-2004 has no such glitch that I could detect...
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i want to revisit this post....i just bought a second copy of the cd "solitude/solitaire" by peter cetera and this second copy has the exact same glitch at the 0:46 mark of the song......amy grant is singing "put my heart..." and it skips right during those words......on the 45 there is no skipping.....ALSO.....the 45 states that the version on it is a "remix" but other than the skip/non skip issue the 45 and the cd version are identical..........can ANYONE tell me what they hear is different between the 2 versions???.......

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Wow, that's weird, Ed. I have the U.S. pressing of Peter Cetera's Solitude/Solitaire CD and there's no skip at the 0:46 mark on my copy. Amy Grant is clearly heard singing: "Darling I... put my heart up on the shelf." I'm baffled as to how you could have two CD copies purchased at different times that skip in the exact same spot! I'm wondering if there's something about the binary code information pressed on the CD that's causing the laser mechanism on your particular CD player to experience this tracking problem. Anyone have any idea?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 11:56pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

That is strange! Although I've had weirder things happen. I once purchased a copy of Organized Konfusion's self-titled CD, and there was no left channel! I purchased a second copy, and that one also had no left channel. I finally did find a copy that was in stereo and played normally.

Anyhow, I have this song from my TM Century library, and I don't hear any glitches at 0:46. It's the only version I have, so I couldn't tell you if there are any differences in the so called "remix." Perhaps it's a case where only very early pressings of the CD had the actual "LP version" or maybe they never issued a non-remixed version. Dunno...
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2006 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i've reviewed my cds again and there must have been a smudge on the cd, i cleaned it and it works fine now.......on another note (no pun intended) the 45 states that the version there is a remix, but i don't here any difference between the 45 version and the version from the original cd "solitude/solitaire"........does anyone hear a difference between the two because i can't........in my book they are identical.........anyone?????

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2006 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I don't have the "Next Time I Fall" vinyl 45, Ed, but if you'd like me to listen to it, I'll compare it to the Solitude/Solitaire CD and let you know if I hear any differences.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 June 2006 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

just sent ya an mp3 for your review.............lmk whatcha think if it's a remix or just mis-labelled....

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 June 2006 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Ed:

I did a careful comparison between the "Next Time I Fall" vinyl 45 and the version appearing on the Solitude/Solitaire CD and I do hear differences in the mixes. The most evident distinction I hear occurs with the soft percussion taps (done on a bongo?) from the :28 to the :49 mark. On the vinyl 45, these percussion taps are placed in the far right speaker channel, but on CD they are potted dead center. Also, while Peter Cetera belts out the verse: "next time I fall... in love... next time I fall in love, it will be with yoooou", you can hear loud electric guitar strums from 1:12 to 1:19, from 2:15 to 2:21, and from 2:59 to 3:05 on the CD, yet the electric guitar sounds buried on the vinyl 45 during these time frames. Furthermore, during the first :08 of the song's orchestral introduction, the strings sound muddled and murky on the 45 compared to the CD. Overall, I think the vinyl 45 has the vocals mixed a little hotter and the entire recording sounds like it either has more reverb or a higher EQ'd midrange compared to its LP/CD counterpart.

I'll conclude by saying that a 45 mix/LP mix distinction should be made for "Next Time I Fall" in the database even though the overall differences are subtle. Again, the best way to tell which mix is which is to listen for the percussion taps from :29 to :49. Potted right = 45 mix. Potted center = LP mix.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 26 June 2006 at 10:27am

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 June 2006 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

todd......thanks for your input as always......i respect and admire your dedication to reviewing top 40 songs like me.......i will need to state my view on these types of minor differences, which COULD, be open to interpretation........my feeling is that if, for example, a guitar strum or drum tap is in the center versus the rear, or burried versus upfront, it SHOULD NOT qualify as a different version or a remix.....i've painstakingly listened, analyzed and reviewed over 6,000 top 40 songs on cd comparing them directly with the 45 versions, with headphones, over the last few years and many songs fit this type of description with subtle differences.......i believe that unless a song has different instrumention or vocals or has edits NOT consistant with it's 45 counterpart, it should be labeled as being identical.......a remix to me should be noticible and not burried in the bowels of the song.......another pet peeve is mono versus stereo.......i strive to get the exact mono version as the 45 but if a song is identical except for the stereo/mono differences, then it's the same except for the delivery.........sorry to run on.......just my thoughts.....

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 June 2006 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Ed:

You bring up some very good points and it's causing me to re-think my position on whether a 45 mix/LP mix distinction really is needed for "Next Time I Fall". I mean, if I knew of someone who's used to listening to the song on the Solitude/Solitaire CD and I were to ask him to listen to the 45, would he consciously notice anything different about the mixes? I'd honestly have to say he probably wouldn't!

So how exactly should we determine when a (45 mix) or (LP mix) comment is necessary? I'd be interested to hear Pat's take on this.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 June 2006 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I agree with Ed on this point. I listened to the 45 and LP version of "Next time I Fall" and I did notice some slight mix differences but quite frankly nothing jumped out at me and I never would have caught those differences if I wasn't wearing headphones! So I have elected not to differentiate the 45 mix and the LP mix in this particular case in point. There are very few 45 mix or LP mix comments in the database.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 June 2006 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi folks!

I didn't realize my simple comment "The USA single is a remix" would cause so much dialogue!

I completely understand the differences may be subtle, but the single mix has always stood out to me as distinctly better than the LP mix, hence I have always played a dub of the 45 when I DJ an event.

Could anyone tell me if they have yet to find the single remix on ANY CD?

Thank You.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 June 2006 at 2:07am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

edtop40 wrote:
if, for example, a guitar strum or drum tap is in the center versus the rear... it SHOULD NOT qualify as a different version or a remix.

In my opinion, if an instrument is placed center rather than in one channel, it IS a remix, whether anyone considers it worthy of note or not.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 June 2006 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Brian W. wrote:
In my opinion, if an instrument is placed center rather than in one channel, it IS a remix, whether anyone considers it worthy of note or not.

I'm with Brian on this one. If someone took the time to produce a remix, labels the song "remix," and differences can be heard, regardless of how subtle, then I'd say it's worth noting.

If Andrew is searching for this mix on CD, there are probably other readers searching for it, too.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 June 2006 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my believe is that if you can't hear the difference, there is no difference........

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 June 2006 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Both sides of this discussion continue to bring up such good points that I keep changing my position back and forth! It looks like Pat has already made a judgment call though so I guess the debate is settled for now.

By the way, the commercial 45 of "Next Time I Fall" runs 3:43 just like the LP/CD. For what it's worth, I checked my copy of Amy Grant's Greatest Hits 1986-2004 (A&M/UTV Records B0003415 and B0002106) CD and the song fades out :04 sooner on this disc than on the 45 and LP. I suspect this is also the case on Peter Cetera's You're the Inspiration - A Collection (River North 514161250) disc, though I don't have a copy to confirm.

To Andrew: Unless the "Next Time I Fall" remix has appeared on one of the Time-Life CDs listed in the database, I imagine your best chance of obtaining this mix on CD is to maybe hunt down an import CD single release. Given that the song was a #1 U.S. hit, I would think a CD single was released somewhere around the world in 1986.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2006 at 4:04am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

edtop40 wrote:
my believe is that if you can't hear the difference, there is no difference........

But Todd heard the difference.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version