Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Little River Band - "Reminiscing" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 May 2009 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I dusted off my Harvest 4605 45, which has a printed time of 3:26 and an actual time of 3:29.

(Always wondered why artists were on Harvest in the US at all, since they usually ended moving to Capitol anyway. LRB, Thomas Dolby, Duran Duran...)

Did some comparisons among the 13 CDs I have that include this song, and thought I'd report my findings.

The 45 version is available on:
  • Rhino's Billboard Top Hits - 1978 (the best-sounding of all the CDs)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies - 1978: Take Two (muddy sound, like from a high-generation tape)
  • Time-Life's AM Gold - 1978 (digitally exactly 1 dB louder than above T-L CD)
Looking over my collection, the vast majority of the LRB tracks are the LP versions, with only a few CDs here and there having the 45 edits. I'll post instructions on how to recreate the 45 edit below.

First, the CDs that include the LP version:
  • Cema Special Markets' 10 Best Series - All-Time Greatest Hits (excellent sound)
  • Madacy's Rock On - 1978 (digitally exaclty 0.5 dB louder than above 10-Best CD)
  • Time-Life's Body Talk - On My Mind (not digital clone, but sound very close to above two CDs)
  • Time-Life's Singers And Songwriters 1978-1979 (differently EQ'd digital clone of above T-L CD; best-sounding LP version of any CDs I have, but not as good as above Billboard CD)
  • Capitol's Greatest Hits (12-track version; sound not quite as crisp as above bunch of CDs, presumably due to higher tape generation)
  • Mystic Music Presents Mellow Gold (differently EQ'd digital clone of 12-track GH)
  • Simitar's Love Rocks 4: Songs Of Love (differently EQ'd digital clone of 12-track GH)
  • EMI Australia's Pop Complete (5-CD set; has L/R channels reversed, but otherwise sounds pretty close to 12-track GH)
  • Priority's Seventies Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 5 (clips a lot - avoid this CD)
  • Capitol's Greatest Hits ("remastered" version released in 2000; mine has 18 tracks but it's the rare version with the alternate mixes of the three Time Exposure tracks; sound is horribly compressed/maximized; avoid all songs on this CD, except of course the alternate mixes which are very cool)
I'll give you editing instructions based on the version from the 10 Best Series CD:

Keep 0:00-1:52.2 of the LP version.
The 45 cuts out the lines "we'll go dancing in the dark/walking through the park/and reminiscing" and replaces them with the same lines from later in the song.
Edit right before the word "we'll".
Paste in the 17 beats from 3:13.9-3:24.6 - this portion starts with the word "we'll" and ends just before the downbeat that follows the lone synth drum hit.
Now paste in the 135 beats from 2:24.0-3:49.8. This portion starts with the word "Friday".
Put a 16-beat fade from 3:18.5-3:28.8.

Your mixdown will run 3:28.8, will have edits at 1:52.2 and 2:02.9, and will have a 16-beat fade from 3:18.7-3:28.8.

The out-of-sequence edits above really just replace the first pre-chorus with the second one. The second instance has the 4-tom-tom drum fill, which is used twice on the 45, but only once on the LP.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2009 at 5:32am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

crapfromthepast wrote:

(Always wondered why artists were on Harvest in the US at all, since they usually ended moving to Capitol anyway. LRB, Thomas Dolby, Duran Duran...)

Didn't Harvest cease to exist as a label around late '82/early '83? It seems around that time that Harvest artists moved to Capitol. My (promo) of "She Blinded Me With Science" is on Harvest, but any commercial copies I've ever seen were on Capitol.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2009 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Hykker wrote:
My (promo) of "She Blinded Me With Science" is on Harvest, but any commercial copies I've ever seen were on Capitol.

Actually, there were some commercial copies on Harvest, too, also b/w "Flying North". There are some scans halfway down the page here.

Do you have a promo 7" single for "Science"? I've never seen one of those. Is it the 5:09 version or the 3:40?
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2009 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

crapfromthepast wrote:

Do you have a promo 7" single for "Science"? I've never seen one of those. Is it the 5:09 version or the 3:40?

It has both versions.

Science-long

Science-short

Edited by Hykker on 14 May 2009 at 5:39pm

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2009 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Hykker wrote:
It has both versions.

Wow! Check out the crazy catalog number (SPRO-9899) for just the B-side, and the big gaping hole where it usually says "from the LP ..."! That's a keeper!

As long as we've completely hijacked this thread, does anyone have a W. German pressing of the Golden Age Of Wireless CD, which has the 3:40 version of "Science"? I'm 99% sure I held one in my hands once, and thought, nah - I already have the short version on Formula 45. Silly me! I ask, because I'm wondering if the version of "Radio Silence" on that CD is the elusive full-band version.

This has nothing to do with "Reminiscing".

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2009 at 5:30am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

crapfromthepast wrote:

Wow! Check out the crazy catalog number (SPRO-9899) for just the B-side,

This was standard procedure for Capitol/EMI promo 45s. The catalog # for the commercially-available version was (usually) the same as the commercial single, but they used a different (presumably in its own series) # for a dj-only version. Check out any Capitol (or Capitol-distributed) promo single which contains a dj edit, and you'll see the same thing.

To keep this (somewhat) on topic, I don't think there was a promo edit of "Reminiscing".

Edited by Hykker on 15 May 2009 at 5:36am

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 May 2009 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

crapfromthepast wrote:
I dusted off my Harvest 4605 45, which has a printed time of 3:26 and an actual time of 3:29.

Did some comparisons among the 13 CDs I have that include this song, and thought I'd report my findings.

The 45 version is available on:
  • Rhino's Billboard Top Hits - 1978 (the best-sounding of all the CDs)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies - 1978: Take Two (muddy sound, like from a high-generation tape)
  • Time-Life's AM Gold - 1978 (digitally exactly 1 dB louder than above T-L CD)
Looking over my collection, the vast majority of the LRB tracks are the LP versions, with only a few CDs here and there having the 45 edits. I'll post instructions on how to recreate the 45 edit below.

First, the CDs that include the LP version:
  • Cema Special Markets' 10 Best Series - All-Time Greatest Hits (excellent sound)
  • Madacy's Rock On - 1978 (digitally exaclty 0.5 dB louder than above 10-Best CD)
  • Time-Life's Body Talk - On My Mind (not digital clone, but sound very close to above two CDs)
  • Time-Life's Singers And Songwriters 1978-1979 (differently EQ'd digital clone of above T-L CD; best-sounding LP version of any CDs I have, but not as good as above Billboard CD)
  • Capitol's Greatest Hits (12-track version; sound not quite as crisp as above bunch of CDs, presumably due to higher tape generation)
  • Mystic Music Presents Mellow Gold (differently EQ'd digital clone of 12-track GH)
  • Simitar's Love Rocks 4: Songs Of Love (differently EQ'd digital clone of 12-track GH)
  • EMI Australia's Pop Complete (5-CD set; has L/R channels reversed, but otherwise sounds pretty close to 12-track GH)
  • Priority's Seventies Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 5 (clips a lot - avoid this CD)
  • Capitol's Greatest Hits ("remastered" version released in 2000; mine has 18 tracks but it's the rare version with the alternate mixes of the three Time Exposure tracks; sound is horribly compressed/maximized; avoid all songs on this CD, except of course the alternate mixes which are very cool)
I'll give you editing instructions based on the version from the 10 Best Series CD:

Keep 0:00-1:52.2 of the LP version.
The 45 cuts out the lines "we'll go dancing in the dark/walking through the park/and reminiscing" and replaces them with the same lines from later in the song.
Edit right before the word "we'll".
Paste in the 17 beats from 3:13.9-3:24.6 - this portion starts with the word "we'll" and ends just before the downbeat that follows the lone synth drum hit.
Now paste in the 135 beats from 2:24.0-3:49.8. This portion starts with the word "Friday".
Put a 16-beat fade from 3:18.5-3:28.8.

Your mixdown will run 3:28.8, will have edits at 1:52.2 and 2:02.9, and will have a 16-beat fade from 3:18.7-3:28.8.

The out-of-sequence edits above really just replace the first pre-chorus with the second one. The second instance has the 4-tom-tom drum fill, which is used twice on the 45, but only once on the LP.

Good heavens - I only thought that was a Golddisc edit from TM; so it was in fact a 45? I'm so glad I've met all of you folks, because you are a wealth of information.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 May 2009 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Jody Thornton wrote:
Good heavens - I only thought that was a Golddisc edit from TM; so it was in fact a 45? I'm so glad I've met all of you folks, because you are a wealth of information.

I, too, am humbled by the wealth of information out here. Quite an amazing forum...

I had a chance to listen to the 45 version in the car this past weekend. Apparently, I've gotten used to hearing the LP version for 30+ years, so the 45 seems to fade too quickly.

For the late '70s rock songs, if there's only a minor edit or an early fade, I tend to prefer the unedited LP versions. This LRB song is a good example, with the edits just replacing one drum fill for a different one in the song. I tend to prefer the LP versions for most of the early Foreigner songs as well - the 45s just shave off 10 or 20 seconds, and I'd just rather hear those tracks as the artists intended.

For non-rock songs from that period, like disco tracks, I tend to prefer the 45 versions. In many cases, the album versions tended to be far too long for my tastes. Plus, pop radio usually played the 45 versions for the disco tracks, so those versions stick out in my mind as the "hits".

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version