Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Question About "My Life" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 October 2005 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I was listening to the radio today and heard Billy Joel's "My Life." Here's my question--does the second-to-last edit in the single version have the cymbal crash before Joel sings "I don't care what you say anymore. . ." (as in the Greatest Hits I & II CD version), or is the edit in the 45 version without the cymbal crash?

Thanks.

Doug
Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2005 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I'm not sure what you're asking. As far as I can tell, the only edit right before "I don't care what you say anymore" is the very last edit, not the second-to-the-last edit. Maybe there's an edit on the fadeout, I don't know. Anyway, there's no cymbal clash before the final "I don't care what you say."

Whatever the case, the edit that's on the original (non-remastered) Gr. Hits I & II is the 45 version.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2005 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Let me rephrase it. On the original Greatest Hits I & II CD, there's a small cymbal crash right in between the last "but not on my time" and the edit into the line "I don't care what they say anymore. . ." (the LP version has a small piano break preceeded by that same cymbal crash before Joel sings the "I don't care what they say anymore. . ." line).

On the version I heard on the radio, the edit removes the cymbal crash (perhaps it's an edit of the LP version in an unsuccessful attempt to create the 45 version).

Does that clear my question up a little?

Doug

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2005 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I'll listen again, but I don't hear any cymbal crash on the original Gr Hits CD.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 October 2005 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Doug, I hear what you're talking about. On my GH CD, there's a bad edit at (3:11). They made an edit right in the middle of the cymbal hit. If I had to guess, the version you heard on the radio probably came from TM Century. TM re-created many of the 45 edits on their libraries, and in many cases, they don't exactly match the 45 version.   Good ears!

Unfortunately, I don't have the 45, but if what Brian says is true, then the 45 has the bad edit, too.

Edited by aaronk on 19 October 2005 at 8:11pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2005 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

So that would be my next question. Is that bad edit on the vinyl 45 itself? (There might be a couple of vinyl collectors here who would know. :) )

And I would bet that you're right, Aaron--it probably was a TM Century edit.

Doug

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2005 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hiall,
Yes, the original vinyl 45 version had the bad edit, leaving half-cymbal crash cut off by the edit at the start of the vocal. Those lucky enough to have the original Gr. Hit 1&2 CD have the original 45 versions on a few of hits.
But thanks Aaron for the TM century info, that explains it. I too was hearing in my car one station that played the "45 version", mostly, except that edit was changed. I was wondering where that came from.
Back when it was new i was used the 45 version, and later when i heard the LP, that edit always stuck out like a sore thumb.
-MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version