Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Frank Gallop-"The Ballad Of Irving" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 December 2006 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

The database currently shows that this is unavailable on a domestic CD. But I have had it for 15 years, on the released-in-1991 "Dr. Demento's 20th Anniversary Collection: The Greatest Novelty Records Of All Time", a 2-CD set, on Rhino 70743. Its CD appearance runs (3:26), is (M), and has no intro. However, my 1966 commercial 45 has a listed time of (2:57), an actual time of (2:54), and features a :09 intro. Obviously, my CD version is not the original 45 version. I am not sure if simple 45 edits account for the differences, or if different "live" takes were utilized. I've gone as far as I can go, guys. I'll be happy to shoot both versions out to any willing "expert ear" for analysis.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

If you look at the database under Frank Gallop you will see that it is included but with the comment that it is neither the 45 nor LP version. The reason you see the red flag in the index of songs that have never been released on cd is that if a song is released on cd but is a rerecording or mastered poorly from a vinyl record or is neither the 45 nor LP version that cannot be edited down to the 45 or LP version, then I flag it with the "not on cd" symbol.

Edited by Pat Downey on 23 December 2006 at 5:29pm
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I didn't release that something could have the red symbol, but still have chart data listings affixed - I was uncertain it was definitely a re-recording. I'm gonna go right now and re-read your database's "obscure rules sub-text." :) Sorry for the goof.

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Going by what I have read on the BSN board, there was a Canadian 45 that used the "ten-gallon yarmulke" line, while the U.S. 45 contained the "schlepping a salami and pumpernickel bread" line. But that topic also reports that the Dr. Demento cd source is stereo, not mono.

If you want to shell out $116, you can buy the soundtrack to "When You're In Love, The Whole World Is Jewish" sountrack on cd from Amazon, but the BSN topic also seems to indicate that the version from that soundtrack lp/cd is missing a verse that the 45 contained. Go figure....this is one of several Comedy recordings that I'd still love to see turn up on cd in it's original 45 version, be it mono or stereo.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Tom: You're right on the (S) on the Demento CD - I'm currently battling an intermittent loose headphone connection - if it's the slightest bit off, I hear mono when it's stereo. Thanks for the "Whole World..." soundtrack tip.

Tim Lyman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2006 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote Tim Lyman

TomDiehl1 wrote:

If you want to shell out $116, you can buy the soundtrack to "When You're In Love, The Whole World Is Jewish" sountrack on cd from Amazon

I have this disc (Rhino R2 71084). "The Ballad of Irving" appears here with the "schlepping a salami and pumpernickel bread" lyric.

$116?!?

Oy...

Edited by Tim Lyman on 24 December 2006 at 7:16pm
Back to Top View Tim Lyman's Profile Search for other posts by Tim Lyman

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 June 2007 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat, could you perhaps shed some light as to why the "You Don't Have To Be Jewish" album is a "neither" version? Just curious...

By the way, the album was re-released in February, so you can get if for $16 again, as opposed to $116!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My commercial 45 and the original pressings of "When You're In Love The Whole World Is Jewish" (from what I am told) feature the line "with a ten gallon yarmulke on his head" but the cd changes the line to "schlepping a salami".

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 11:41pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

What are the matrix numbers on your 45 of it, Pat? I don't own the single but I've seen a few people on BSN mention that their 45s do state "schlepping a salami" so ill try to get matrix info from them.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Tom And Pat, my commercial 45 features the "schlepping a salami" lyric, and makes no mention of the "ten gallon yarmulke on his head" lyric. My deadwax is "K-9547-8".

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 5:39am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

One thing that I did not notice until just now is that my 45 is a Canadian pressing and the matrix number is K-9547. I'll take everyone's word for it that the US pressing has the "schlepping a salami" lyric.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, I've heard Jim's 45, and it definitely has the salami line. It looks like the CD in the database probably deserves a "45 version" notation, if it is true that the original LP version has the yarmulke line. Does anyone own the original vinyl LP that can let us know?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45, confirmed as Kapp 745, has a listed time of (2:57), but an actual time of (2:54).

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 11:05pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Jim what is the deadwax info on your 45?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 February 2009 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Tom, it is "K-9547-8".

jono
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 February 2009 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote jono

The deadwax info on my commercial 45 for "The Ballad Of Irving" (Kapp K-745) is "K-9547-10" and also runs (2:54). Same as Jim's, it states a run time of (2:57) and has the "Schlepping a salami" lyric during the 2nd verse (at approximately 45 seconds into the song).

Jon O.
Back to Top View jono's Profile Search for other posts by jono

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version