Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: O/T: Have A Heart Bonnie Raitt Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 May 2023 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Missing the top 40 by just nine spots in 1990, "Have A Heart" by Bonnie Raitt would be used as the theme to the failed Bob Hoskins / Denzel Washington comedy, "Heart Condition."

The LP version runs 4:46 to 4:50 depending on the copy you have. It has a three second intro.

The version(s) on the single and the promo are listed as being approximately the same length (3:58 - 4:03).

However, the promo version has a six second intro and runs about 1% faster than my copy of the single and the LP version. Some of the vocals are identical, some of the phrases seem to different takes.

In mixing both down to mono, I'm also thinking it's a slightly different mix / performance. At first I thought it was identical but they fall in and out of sync at at least one point, and every so often there's something different percussive in one version or the other. It's all micro-differences, so I don't imagine anyone would notice unless you had one in the left channel and the other in the right channel (like I'm doing).

My only concern about the single version I have is that it indicates an "unknown CD source" and matches the LP version I have SO perfectly that I suspect it was edited from the LP version I'm using... so is it accurate to the single? I'm not 100% sure.

(The edit is clearly at 3:47, although I'm not sure where it jumps to... somewhere in the end, past Bonnie singing "have a heart" again.)

Discogs only lists the Netherlands and Germany as having CD commercial singles (not promos), so we'd either need a vinyl rip of a 7" to compare or a copy of the CD tracks released in Europe to confirm if the edit I have is accurate to the commercial single here in the States.

Since I'm running a station, the choice for me is easy: the promo version with the six second intro and unique elements. For the commercial single collector, the answer isn't quite as clear...

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2023 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Gene - You can disregard the "unknown CD source" file. It's a homemade file, although I don't know who made it.

It's an early fade of the LP version, with a glitch that makes it look like an edit. The file is digitally identical to the LP version until the glitch.

The song wasn't released that way in 1989.

I know of only two versions:

Printed 4:46 - the album version
Printed 3:59 - the single version, includes "Remixed by Don Was and Ed Cheney" on US promo 45 and commercial CD single

There was a 3:59-ish version designed as "Edit" on European single releases. I can't confirm that it's the same as the US single version, but it's pretty likely.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 23 May 2023 at 1:45pm

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2023 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

Quote:
Printed 3:59 - the single version, includes
"Remixed by Don Was and Ed Cheney" on US promo 45 and
commercial CD single

Was there a commercial CD Single for this song in the US?
If so, it's not listed on Discogs, which only shows a
promo CD, promo 45 and Cassette Single.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2023 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Sorry - typo on my part.

I dug through Discogs and found the cassette single, but absent-mindedly typed CD single.

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Great info, Ron -- thanks!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version