Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: O/T: Oingo Boingo - Dead Man’s Party Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 January 2023 at 11:44pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Using my typical sources (which unfortunately do not include physical copies), I'm having a terrible time sorting out versions of Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo.

The LP, "Dead Man's Party," was released in 1985 and had a version labeled as running 6:23.

A "Party 'Til You're Dead" remix was released in 1986 on a 12" single labeled as running 8:36.

There is a 7" single label showing up on 45cat.com that lists a time of 4:14. Wikipedia claims this was a "B-side edit."

The expanded edition of the album tacks on a "short version" labeled as running 3:48. A YouTube video calls this the "Radio Promo Length."

Wikipedia also claims there was a "video edit" which ran 3:52... which is suspiciously close to the short edit / radio promo length.

Can anyone help me sort out the various releases of this song (outside of the Rhino / Elvira Halloween compilations)?

THANKS!!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2023 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Hi Gene,

I'm no expert on Oingo Boingo, but I did a little digging after reading your post, as I'm a pretty big fan of this track. For one, I was surprised to learn that
apparently, "Dead Man's Party" was never released as the A-side of a 45 here in the States, but only as the commercial B-side of their single "Just Another Day". As you
pointed out, the label for that single has a listed time of 4:14.

The common 6:20 album version appeared on 1985's Dead Man's Party and was recycled on the Back to School movie soundtrack the following year. After that,
the 8+ minute Party 'Til Your Dead Mix you mentioned above was released on a 12" single with a remix of "Stay". The "Stay" 45 featured a different B-side, not "Dead Man's
Party".

The "Short Version" tacked on the Rubellan Remasters expanded release, which I haven't heard, is interesting in the sense that it doesn't appear to have ever appeared on a
promo 45 or 12". My guess is that it's probably the video version, although that is 1000% conjecture on my part as I have never heard the 4:14 45 version or the video version.
Rubellan appears to have had access to the master tapes, so one would think that the <4min. version is also official in some capacity.

Anyway, back to the facts: I found 3 CD's at Discogs that appear to contain versions that run between 4:14 and 4:19, which would seem to be the 45 B-side mix:
• Priority's Rock of the 80s Volume 6 (1993),
• Hip-O's The 80's Hit(s) Back 3 (1997), and
• MCA's Soundtrack Smashes - The 80's and More... (1990)

Hope this helps!

Edited by EternalStatic on 29 January 2023 at 2:58pm
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 January 2023 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I have an mp3 of the 45 version I must have created from a
45 online. I don't have an original source in my file
description.

Gene, when you get a chance, please post editing
instructions so I can recreate it (again.)

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version