Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Stars On 45 - 40 Years Anthology 2-CD set Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 January 2023 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

In 2022, Red Bullet Records (based in the Netherlands) released a 2-CD set by the Stars On 45 called 40 Years Anthology. The mastering is excellent, with a credit of "Remastered from the first-generation studio master tapes by Wouter Bessels. Tape transfers and alignments by Wout de Kruif." There's no clipping on any tracks, nice dynamic range (no added compression/limiting), nice EQ, and no evidence of added noise reductions on the fade. Some tracks are digital clones of what was released a year or two ago on Qobuz. All seem to run at the correct speed (a vast improvement over some earlier CD releases in which some tracks ran too slow).

The songs themselves correspond to what was on the Dutch LP, 45, and 12 inch single releases. I suppose that the Dutch releases should probably be considered the "definitive" versions of the songs, since the group and production are Dutch.

Some of the tracks differ slightly from the US releases. I'll attempt to document these differences, using green text below to show where the Dutch and US LP releases differ.

I'll reproduce below some of the liner notes, which lists the tracks in the medleys. The actual liner notes also list the songwriters and publishers, which I deleted. (The liner notes have 13 pages of credits! Pity the poor person who had to compile the liner notes for this release!) The red text is on the actual release.

DISC 1

Long Play Album (1981) My note: The US LP is titled Stars On Long Play. Both the US LP and Dutch LP include two other medleys by Long Tall Ernie and The Shakers, which aren't included on this CD.

1. Long Play Album - Beatles medley 15.57

Stars On 45 / No Reply / Drive My Car / Do You Want To Know A Secret / We Can Work It Out / I Should Have Known Better / Nowhere Man / You're Going To Lose That Girl / Ticket To Ride / The Word / Eleanor Rigby / Every Little Thing / And Your Bird Can Sing / Get Back / Eight Days A Week / It Won't Be Long / Day Tripper / Wait / Stars On 45 / Good Day Sunshine / My Sweet Lord / Here Comes The Sun / While My Guitar Gently Weeps / Taxman / A Hard Day's Night / Things We Said Today / If I Fell / You Can't Do That / Please Please Me / From Me To You / I Want To Hold Your Hand / Stars On 45

My note: The US LP omits "From Me To You", compared to the Dutch LP.

2. Long Play Album - Part 2 8.07

Stars On 45 / Funky Town / Boogie Nights / You Can Do It / Rock The House / Video Killed The Radio Stars / Venus / Sugar, Sugar / Cathy's Clown / Breaking Up Is Hard To Do / Only The Lonely / Lady Bump / Jimmy Mack / Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again / Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini / Stars On 45

My note: The liner notes adds in "You Can Do It" and "Rock The House", compared to the original LPs. I believe that these two tracks are included in on the 1981 LPs but not listed in the 1981 liner notes. The 2022 liner notes mistakenly omit "Cathy's Clown", which I've added back in. The US LP omits "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" and "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini", compared to the Dutch LP.

Long Play Album Volume II (1981) My note: The US LP is titled Stars On Long Play II.

3. Long Play Album II - Star Wars medley 5.12 My note: The US LP titles this song "Introductions", and omits "Layla", "Ma Baker", "Don't Stop (Till You Get Enough)", and "Bette Davis' Eyes", compared to the Dutch LP.

Star Wars (Main Title) / Can't Give You Anything But My Love / Kung-Fu-Fighting / Layla / All Right Now / Fire / Da Ya Think I'm Sexy / Ma Baker / Y.M.C.A. / The Good, The Bad And The Ugly / Don't Stop (Till You Get Enough) / Suicide Is Painless (Theme From M.A.S.H.) / The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore / (Overture From) Tommy / Get Off / Stars On 45 / Baker Street / Bette Davis' Eyes / Eve Of The War

4. Long Play Album II - Sixties medley 6.11 My note: The US LP combines "Sixties medley and Supremes medley" into a single track called "More Stars".

Stars On 45 (2) / Papa Was a Rolling Stone / Dance To The Music / Sugar Baby Love / Papa Was a Rolling Stone / Let's Go To San Francisco / A Horse With No Name / Monday Monday / San Francisco / California Dreamin' / Eve Of Destruction / Cracklin' Rosie / Do Wah Diddy-Diddy / A Lover's Concerto / Reach Out I'll Be There / Sound Of Silence

5. Long Play Album II - Supremes medley 6.22 My note: The US LP combines "Sixties medley and Supremes medley" into a single track called "More Stars".

Tears Of A Clown / Stop In The Name Of Love / Love Child / Reflections / Someday We'll Be Together / Stars On 45 / Baby Love / Love Is Here And Now You're Gone / Where Did Our Love Go / I Hear A Symphony / You Keep Me Hanging On / Ain't No Mountain High Enough / Stars On 45 (2)

6. Long Play Album II - ABBA medley 8.35 My note: The US LP titles this song as "Stars Again".

Stars on 45 (2) / Voulez-Vous / S.O.S. / Bang-A-Boomerang / Money, Money, Money / Knowing Me, Knowing You / Fernando / The Winner Takes It All / Super Trouper / Oum Oum Diddle / Lay All Your Love On Me / On and On And On / Super Trouper / Summer Night City / Gimme Gimme / Stars on 45 (2)

7. Long Play Album II - 45 Stars get ready 7.12

The Star Sisters (1983-1987) My note: According to Discogs, none of the Star Sisters LPs were ever released in the US, and only the first Star Sisters single (track 8 below) was released in the US.

8. Stars On 45 Proudly Presents The Star Sisters (7-inch version) 4.01

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy / South American Way / Bei Mir Bist Du Schon / In The Mood / Rum And Coca Cola / Tico Tico / Say Si si (Para Vigo Me Voy)

9. Hooray For Hollywood (7-inch version) 3.10

Hooray For Hollywood / Hallelujah / There's No Business Like Showbusiness

10. Bad Girls (12-inch version) 7.58

Da Ya Think I'm Sexy? / Bad Girls / Da Ya Think I'm Sexy? / Hot Stuff / Lady Marmalade (Voulez-Vous Coucher Avec Moi?) / That's The Way (I Like It) / Sex And Drugs And Rock 'N Roll / Let's Talk (About Sex) / We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off / Relax (Don't Do It) / Love To Love You Baby / Kiss You all Over / Kiss / I Feel Love / Passion / Gimme All Your Lovin' / Kiss / I Was Made For Lovin' You / Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?

DISC 2

The Superstars (1982) My note: The US LP is titled Stars On Long Play III.

1. The Superstars (The Greatest Rock-'N-Roll Band In The World) 16.02

The Stars Will Never Stop / Sympathy For The Devil / Miss You / As Tears Go By / Brown Sugar / Jumpin' Jack Flash / Take It Or Leave It / Under My Thumb / Honky Tonk Woman / Lady Jane / (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction / Get Off My Cloud / Stars On Jingle / Under The Boardwalk / Out Of Time / Gimme Shelter / Let's Spend The Night Together / Tell Me (You're Coming Back) / We Love You / Play With Fire / It's Only Rock 'N Roll / Ruby Tuesday / Star Star / Emotional Rescue / She's A Rainbow / Start Me Up / Angie

2. Stars On Stevie 7.43 My note: The US LP combines "Stars On Stevie", "Stars On Jingle", "It's Not A Wonder, It's A Miracle" (titled "Stars On Get Ready III" in the US), and another instance of "Stars On Jingle" into a single track called "Stars On - In Tribute To Stevie Wonder". The audio of the US LP matches the audio of the Dutch LP for this song.

Uptight (Everything's Alright) / My Cherie Amour / Yester-Me, Yester-You, Yesterday / Master Blaster / You Are The Sunshine Of My Life / Isn't She Lovely / Stars On Jingle / Sir Duke / I Wish / I Was Made To Love Her / For Once In My Life / Superstition / Sir Duke / Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing / A Place In The Sun / Fingertips

3. It's Not A Wonder, It's A Miracle 6.56 My note: The US LP titles this song as "Stars On Get Ready III".

4. Stars On Jingle 0.11

5. Don't Give Up 5.35 My note: This track is a non-LP B-side (3:54) from the 45 of "The Greatest Rock'n Roll Band In The World", which was released only in Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Japan, and South Africa. The US 45 for this album was called "Rollin' Stars", and featured different Rolling Stones songs than "The Greatest Rock'n Roll Band In The World".

Stars on 45 - the 7-inch mixes (1981)

6. Stars on 45 (7-inch version) 4.50 My note: This was the hit. The US 45 edited out the first "Stars On 45" and started with "Venus". The US promo 45 edited out "Stars On 45", "Venus", and "Sugar, Sugar", and started with the "one two three four" count-in to "No Reply".

Stars On 45 / Venus / Sugar, Sugar / No Reply / I'll Be Back / Drive My Car / Do You Want To Know A Secret / We Can Work It Out / I Should Have Known Better / Nowhere Man / You're Going To Lose That Girl / Stars On 45

7. More Stars (7-inch version) 4.45 My note: This track was titled "More Stars On 45 II" on the A-side of the Canadian 45. The Abba medley wasn't released as a single in the US.

Stars on 45 (2) / Voulez-Vous / S.O.S. / Bang-A-Boomerang / Money, Money, Money / Knowing Me, Knowing You / Fernando / The Winner Takes It All / Super Trouper / Stars On 45 (2)

8. Stars on 45 theme (7-inch version) 3.30 My note: This is the B-side of the first Stars On 45 single - the big hit Beatles medley.

Stars on 45 - the 12-inch mixes (1981)

9. Stars on 45 (12-inch version) 11.35

Stars On 45 / Funky Town / Boogie Nights / You Can Do It / Rock The House / Video Killed The Radio Stars / Venus / Sugar, Sugar / No Reply / I'll Be Back / Drive My Car / Do You Want To Know A Secret / We Can Work It Out / I Should Have Known Better / Nowhere Man / You're Going To Lose That Girl / Cherry / Cathy's Clown / Breaking Up Is Hard To Do / Only The Lonely / Lady Bump / Jimmy Mack / Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again / Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini / Stars On 45

10. More Stars (12-inch version) 11.55

Stars On 45 (2) / Papa Was a Rolling Stone / Dance To The Music / Sugar Baby Love / Papa Was a Rolling Stone / Let's Go To San Francisco / A Horse With No Name / Monday Monday / San Francisco / California Dreamin' / Eve Of Destruction / Tears Of A Clown / Stop In The Name Of Love / Cracklin' Rosie / Do Wah Diddy-Diddy / A Lover's Concerto / Reach Out I'll Be There / Sound Of Silence / Stars on 45 / Voulez-Vous / S.O.S. / Bang-A-Boomerang / Money, Money, Money / Knowing Me, Knowing You / Fernando / The Winner Takes It All / Super Trouper / Stars On 45 (2)

My thoughts

If you want the LP tracks from the three Stars On 45 albums, this set is definitely the way to go. If you insist on the US versions, you can (likely) delete the handful of tracks that I flagged above. I don't know why the Long Tall Ernie And The Shakers tracks aren't included here.

The Star Sisters tracks are inessential (my opinion). As a footnote, the Star Sisters released a fantastic pop album in 1985 that wasn't under the Stars On 45 umbrella. It includes the first-recorded version of Regina's "Baby Love".

The non-medley songs are curiosities, but nice for completists.

The US 45s and 12 inch singles differ from the Dutch counterparts (some being released in one country but not the other). I didn't attempt to compare the US 45s and 12 inch singles; there a whole other thread for that. And one more thread, too.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 January 2023 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Excellent post, Ron! This looks like a nice release.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2023 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

(I am wasting so much time with this project...)

In the US, Radio Records released a promo 12 inch single (DMD 268; A-side listed as "Vocal" with printed time of 10:15; B-side title is "Stars On 45" with "Instrumental" notation and printed time of 6:18).

To create the A-side of the US promo 12 inch single, start with "Stars On 45 (12-inch version)" from the CD 40 Years Anthology and delete the following portions:

7:51.3 to 8:26.6, downbeat to downbeat, "Sherry"
8:42.6 to 8:58.5, snare to snare, "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do"
10:02.2 to 10:23.7, downbeat to downbeat, "Itsy Bitsy..."

(You'll have to make the edits in reverse order to use my timings.)

Bellenger1981
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2023 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote Bellenger1981

Thanks for the detailed info, Ron!

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2023 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

It's possible to edit the LP track "45 Stars Get Ready" to recreate the B-side of the third US single. Specifically, you can recreate the track "45 Stars Get Ready", printed 4:02, which is the B-side of "More Stars On 45", Radio Records RR 3863.

I didn't keep detailed notes for this, but when you're done there are edits at 0:00.0, 2:05.0, 2:32.4, and 3:07.5. There's an out-of-sequence edit that moves the first female-sung verse toward then end of the song.

It's also possible to edit the same LP track "45 Stars Get Ready" to recreate the B-side of the second US single. Specifically, you can recreate the track "Stars On 45 II" (designation "Instrumental"), printed 3:19, which is the B-side of "Medley II", Radio Records RR 3830.

It's the same edits as listed above, but with two more edits. Starting with the version listed above (the 4:02 B-side of the third US single), delete exactly two beats, downbeat to downbeat, from 3:35.9 to 3:36.8, then delete 1:41.6 to 2:24.5 (downbeat to downbeat). It basically cuts out all the female-sung vocals, then cuts out two more beats.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 January 2023 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I skimmed through the other threads but didn't see the info I was seeking. Has the US B-side version finally appeared digitally or on CD? Or have any of the recent releases made it possible to edit any of the CD versions to obtain the B-side?

As a kid, I always flipped the 45 over and played the B-side after listening to the A-side.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2023 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

aaronk wrote:
I skimmed through the other threads but didn't see the info I was seeking. Has the US B-side version finally appeared digitally or on CD? Or have any of the recent releases made it possible to edit any of the CD versions to obtain the B-side?

As a kid, I always flipped the 45 over and played the B-side after listening to the A-side.

Was that not listed as Track 8 on the remaster set? Is that what you were seeking?

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2023 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The B-side ("Stars On 45") of the first single ("Medley"; the hit) is on disc 2 track 8 (titled "Stars On 45 Theme" on the CD).

The B-side ("Stars On 45 II") of the second single ("Medley II") can be edited down from the LP version of "45 Stars Get Ready", which is on disc 1, track 7.

The B-side ("45 Stars Get Ready") of the third single ("More Stars") can also be edited down from the LP version of "45 Stars Get Ready".

Hope that clarifies.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 January 2023 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ah, I totally missed that note in your first post here. Thanks!

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2023 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Here are instructions for recreating the A-side of the third Stars On 45 single, "More Stars" (Radio Records RR 3863, printed 4:40), using the Dutch 12 inch version of "More Stars" (disc 2 track 10 from 40 Years Anthology).

There are two out-of-sequence edits and several edits during the fade, so the only way you'll be able to reproduce this is to create seven separate segments, piece them together, then add a fade afterward. The edits are all on the downbeats, which is a relief.

Segment 1
Begins on a downbeat
32 beats long
Ends on a downbeat
Extends from 0:00.0 to 0:15.6 of the 45 edit
Extends from 2:24.4 to 2:40.0 of the Dutch 12 inch version

Segment 2
Begins on a downbeat
120 beats long
Ends on a downbeat
Extends from 0:15.6 to 1:14.2 of the 45 edit
Extends from 1:25.8 to 2:24.4 of the Dutch 12 inch version

Segment 3
Begins on a downbeat
108 beats long
Ends on a downbeat
Extends from 1:14.2 to 2:07.0 of the 45 edit
Extends from 2:40.0 to 3:32.8 of the Dutch 12 inch version

Segment 4
Begins on a downbeat
292 beats long
Ends on a downbeat
Extends from 2:07.0 to 4:29.6 of the 45 edit
Extends from 4:54.8 to 7:17.4 of the Dutch 12 inch version

Segment 5
Begins on a downbeat
10 beats long (this segment starts the looped ending)
Ends on a downbeat
Extends from 4:29.6 to 4:34.4 of the 45 edit
Extends from 6:58.0 to 7:02.8 of the Dutch 12 inch version

Segment 6
Begins on a downbeat
8 beats long
Ends on a downbeat
Extends from 4:34.4 to 4:38.3 of the 45 edit
Extends from 6:58.9 to 7:02.8 of the Dutch 12 inch version

Segment 7
Begins on a downbeat
12 beats long
Ends on a downbeat
Extends from 4:38.3 to 4:44.1 of the 45 edit
Extends from 6:58.9 to 7:04.7 of the Dutch 12 inch version

Piece all seven segments together, then add a fade:

Fade
Begins on a downbeat
22 beats long
Extends from 4:33.4 to 4:44.1 of the 45 edit
I added three linear fades on top of each other (in Audacity: Effect > Fade Out), and it seemed to match the fade on the vinyl 45.

You'll end up with a mixdown that runs 4:44.1, with edits at 0:15.6, 1:14.2, 2:07.0, 4:29.6, 4:34.4, and 4:38.3, and a fade from 4:33.4 to 4:44.1.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version