Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: J. Geils Band - Centerfold Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 07 December 2022 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

There's only one version of the song. This thread is just a place to document some mastering notes.

The song has a live drummer playing to a click track. There's no drift throughout the song, so a convenient way to reference the various masterings is by tempo in BPM. (I use a free program called MixMeister BPM Analyzer, but virtually all DJ software will give you a BPM value.)

The first place the song appeared on CD was likely the 1984 Japanese reissue of the Freeze-Frame album. I don't have that CD, and I'll assume that you don't either. We'll ignore it.

The first (practical) place the song appeared on CD was EMI America's J. Geils Band Flashback - The Best Of (1985). The levels are a bit low (over 4 dB of headroom), and there's a slight desynchronization between left and right channels. It runs 114.5 BPM here. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Madacy's Rock On 1981 (1996) - digitally exactly 4.5 dB louder
  • EMI's Rock 'N Roll Relix 1980-1981 (1998) - digitally exactly 4.4 dB louder
  • EMI's 2-CD Pop Goes The '80s (2002)
EMI America released the Freeze-Frame album in the US on CD in 1990. The US CD has excellent volume levels (not too much headroom and no clipping) and has a nice EQ. There's no evidence of noise reduction on the fade. Here, it runs 114.3 BPM. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Totally '80s (1993)
  • JCI's Only Rock 'N Roll 1980-1984 (1994)
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Rock This Way (1995)
  • Simitar's Stud Rock Wild Ride (1998)
  • a UK 8-CD set on Disky called Greatest Hits Of The '80s (1998)
  • confusingly, another UK 8-CD set on Disky also called Greatest Hits Of The '80s (2002)
  • EMI UK's 2-CD Best Of 1982-1983 (2003)
  • Varese Sarabande's Totally Oldies Vol. 7 '80s Again (2004) - has a teeny, barely perceptible amount of extra compression/limiting
There is a new analog transfer on Priority's Eighties Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 4 Party On (1992), which is too loud and clips quite a bit. It runs 114.4 BPM here. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Cema's Greatest Hits Of The 80's Vol. 6 The Decade Of Excess (1994)
  • Universal's Pure '80s (1999)
There is a new analog transfer on Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1982 (1992), which sounds significant better than everything listed above. Excellent dynamic range (without excessive headroom), nice EQ (a little on the trebly side, but that's how I prefer it), and no evidence of noise reduction on the tail of the fade. This analog transfer doesn't show the left/right desynchronization problems that are on Flashback. It runs 114.2 BPM here. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Time-Life's Guitar Rock Vol. 13 The Early '80s (1994) - digitally exactly 0.1 dB quieter
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 25 Rolling Stone 1980-1981 (1995)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Essential '80s (1998) - digitally exactly 0.6 dB quieter
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Rhythm + Grooves Let's Groove
  • Time-Life Europe's 2-CD The 80's Collection Vol. 8 1982 (1994)
  • EMI UK's Time To Remember 1982 (1997) - includes additional compression/limiting
  • EMI UK's 2-CD Now The Millennium Series 1982 (1999)
Rhino did a new analog transfer for the 2-CD J. Geils Band Anthology (1993). It sounds pretty close to Billboard (also running 114.2 BPM here), but there's a glitch on the very first note of the song. The same analog transfer (glitch and all) is used on a bunch of later Rhino releases:
  • Rhino's 2-CD Entertainment Weekly Presents 80's Explosion (1994)
  • Rhino's VH1 The Big 80's (1996)
  • Rhino's Instant Party Disc Extra Strength (1999)
  • Rhino's 7-CD Like Omigod (2002)
Some outliers:
  • swaitek's promo 50-CD The A List Disc 13 (1994) - includes additional noise reduction
  • EMI Australia's 5-CD Eighties Complete Vol. 1 (1997) - uses horrendous source tapes; I lack the vocabulary to express how terrible this sounds
  • EMI UK's Now Yearbook 1982 (2022) - includes additional compression/limiting
My recommendation

I always seem to end up voting for a Rhino disc, and Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1982 (1992) is no exception. It sounds great here.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 07 December 2022 at 3:09pm

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 December 2022 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

I always agree with Ron, nothing sounds better than those 1980's Billboard Top Hits series from Rhino.

kaqueno
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 December 2022 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote kaqueno

Ron: excellent description of this single hit.

davidlg1971
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 December 2022 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote davidlg1971

crapfromthepast wrote:
I always seem to end up voting for a Rhino disc, and Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1982 (1992) is no exception.

Thank you for the thorough analysis, as always. I've been slowly buying (in some cases, re-buying) VA compilations over the last couple of years. Especially Rhino's various 70s/80s/R&B comps.

Anyway, yesterday 3 comps arrived in the mail, one of which was...you guessed it, Billboard Top Hits 1982.
Back to Top View davidlg1971's Profile Search for other posts by davidlg1971

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 December 2022 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote mjb50

Re: Freeze Frame in the US, looking thru Discogs, it seems the first US issue had a Japan-made disc, and it's of unknown vintage. (This is not the 1984 Japan-market release you mentioned).

Then the next pressing accounted for in Discogs is the CAPITOL JAX disc with DADC mastering (it has a DIDX code), and is said to be from 1990 (as is an internationally distributed pressing with a UK-made disc). But the DIDX code in the 200s on those two indicates the digital master they were using was added to DADC's library in 1985.

It is possible there really was no fully US-made pressing until 1990, but this being such a popular title, I'm inclined to believe there's a 1985 pressing by DADC that's just not in the database yet.

As for the dates entered, "1990" CD release dates added on Discogs have always been kind of a scourge, often copied from Amazon or Wikipedia without any verification, and against Discogs rules. For the two "1990" US CDs of Freeze Frame, those dates were added pretty recently, without sources mentioned, probably by someone who didn't know what they were doing. So I would take them with a grain of salt. They are possibly correct (it was indeed an era where CAPITOL JAX discs used DADC masters), but the CAPITOL JAX one could be as old as 1987 (or even late '86 when that plant opened), and the UK one likewise could be '86 at the earliest.

Edited by mjb50 on 08 December 2022 at 11:46am
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

Kevin711
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 December 2022 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote Kevin711

Thanks for the information on this. I just ordered a copy
of the Rhino disc from an Amazon seller I've dealt with
many times.
Back to Top View Kevin711's Profile Search for other posts by Kevin711 Visit Kevin711's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 December 2022 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I'd always assumed, listening to the radio, that there were two releases of this song: one with a fade, the other ending cold with the whistling.

Only later did I realize the radio stations and DJs were just fading it out on their own when the band levels started to drop in the song...

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 December 2022 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Kevin711 wrote:
Thanks for the information on this. I just ordered a copy
of the Rhino disc from an Amazon seller I've dealt with
many times.

I highly recommend you purchase the entire 1980-1989 Rhino Billboard series, however some versions like Toy Soldiers do not match the "hit version" so lookup Ron's analysis before you buy.

For reference here is the Toy Soldiers thread

http://www.top40musiconcd.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=160& KW=toy+soldiers

Edited by PopArchivist on 12 December 2022 at 7:37pm

LunarLaugh
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 December 2022 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote LunarLaugh

There is a "box set" of the Rhino Billboard discs covering
1980-1984 that pops up on used sites from time to time.
Usually goes for a reasonable asking price (I got mine used
from ebay for around $15 including shipping). Good way to
scoop up the best sounding versions of a lot of early 80s
hits.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version