Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: O/T: Black Box - Ride On Time Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 January 2022 at 1:12am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Discogs would have you believe United States radio was playing the Bright On Mix of Ride On Time by Black Box (if they were playing it at all.

I don't remember this mix at all, and it feels completely different because of the backing instruments change.

It's the Original Mix that sounds familiar. The Massive Mix sounds generally the same, just longer.

Was radio playing the Original Mix, or has my memory been rewritten by all the dance compilations that have been put out over the years?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2022 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Recapping our external conversation, Gene:

I don't think there was enough airplay of any version to really say there was as definitive radio "hit" mix. The cassingle contains the long (6:38) "Massive Mix" (which contains a re-
recorded vocal [likely performed by Heather Small] despite the credit stating the vocal is performed by Loleatta Holloway). The Dreamland LP Version (4:38), which restores the
original Loleatta sample, is the most familiar to me outside of the Massive Mix, and probably works a little better for broadcast than the long mix. There also exists a shorter (4:10)
UK edit labeled "Original Mix" on the import "I Don't Know Anybody Else" CD single, which contains the original Loleatta sample and is also a good candidate for airplay.

FYI, the Bright On Mix that you noted does contain the original Loleatta sample, and was also released on the Black Box remix album Mixed Up! in
1991. I don't know if it's still in print, but it's pretty easily findable used.

Edited by EternalStatic on 07 January 2022 at 12:21pm
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2022 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

List of commonly available versions from the original era releases:

1989 Original Mixes - contain original Loleatta sample:
"The Original" (6:28)
Garage Trip (6:10)
Piano Version (2:53)

1989 "Remix" Versions - contain the new Heather Small vocal:
Massive Mix (6:38) [essentially "The Original" with replaced vocals]
Epson Mix (5:38) [very similar to 'Garage Trip' version, but with replaced vocals and some editing differences]
Ascot Mix (3:01) [essentially the 'Piano Version' with replaced vocals]

1989 "I Don't Know Anybody Else" 3-track UK CD Single contains the following version of "Ride on Time":
4:10 "Original Mix", which appears to be an edit of "The Original" and restores the Loleatta sample (may be original 7" edit)

1990 US Dreamland album version:
4:38 LP Version, seems to be an alternate edit of "The Original" and contains the Loleatta sample

1991 US Promo CD Single - contains a mixed bag, as follows:
Massive Mix (6:37) [Heather]
LP Version (4:37) [Loleatta]
Ascot Mix (2:58) [Heather]
Bright On Mix (4:31) - a new remix that also appeared on Promo 12", contains the Loleatta sample

1991 US Mixed Up! album versions:
Bright On Mix (4:29) [Loleatta]
Massive Mix (6:38) [Heather]

1994 "Bright on Time" mixes (brand new Euro-sounding remixes that do not resemble the "Bright On" mix above, all contain the Loleatta Holloway sample):
1994 Radio Remix (3:43)
1994 Remix (6:12)
Under the Mix (6:28)

Update: After Duane shared that the NZ hit version was a 7" Edit of the Massive Mix with Heather Small's vocal, I did some more searching and found that version appears to
have been a single in the UK and Canada as well. Runs roughly 4:11 and appears to have been released on some compilations as well.

Edited by EternalStatic on 09 January 2022 at 5:14pm
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

smallworld
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 January 2022 at 2:41am | IP Logged Quote smallworld

The Massive Mix exists with Loleatta as well.

It can be found on the following CDs: "Mad Mix 9" and "Dos
Décadas Dance."

The Mad Mix 9 is clearly from vinyl. I'm not sure about the
Decadas.

Edited by smallworld on 08 January 2022 at 2:44am
Back to Top View smallworld's Profile Search for other posts by smallworld

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 January 2022 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote mjb50

So bold of anyone to call their list definitive! :) At best, I think any list for this song is a work in progress. I'm not ready to share my ultimate list yet, but I'll just comment some:

The 1989–1990 incarnations of the song are available in about a dozen versions for each vocalist, in my estimation. No one has yet created the ultimate discography. Especially vexing is that the releases don't always get the version titles and credits correct, so there's often no way to know what you're getting without listening.

Many of the versions with Heather Small doing the solo vocals still apparently use Loleatta Holloway on the multitracked vocal ("and time won't take my love away"), so it's not entirely correct to say they don't have Holloway samples in them at all.

The 4:09 "Original Mix" on the "I Don't Know Anybody Else" CD single is indeed the original 7" version. It was subtitled "The Original" on the Italian and Spanish 7" releases, and "Massive Mix" on the first UK 7", CS & CD single releases (43055/43056 cat#s). In fact, if you look at the "I Don't Know Anybody Else" CD, you'll notice it has "Massive Mix" on the disc, and "Original Mix" on the insert.

So, there are 7" (4:09) and 12" (6:35) versions of the Massive Mix, and these were the original UK hit versions. The UK 12" with Holloway vocals was a club hit as an import in the US as well. It was first reported as a #1 dance breakout in Billboard Oct. 7, 1989, and it entered the club play chart at #49 a week later, right before the sample controversy erupted. It peaked at #39.

As of the week ending Dec. 16, 1989, the song (no mention of version) was #31 two weeks in a row on the Hot 97 FM (NY) playlist; this was mentioned in Billboard with that same issue date.

The 7" versions were used in the video, with the Heather Small vocal being the one easiest to find; the Holloway one was withdrawn. I doubt these were seen much in the US.

[this paragraph edited in April 2022 to correct an error:] Incidentally, in 2009, the song was reissued digitally and on YouTube, but not in its original form. The YouTube video contains a very light remix where they've replaced the closed hi-hat with a tambourine and panned the intro shaker differently. This coincides with the release of the 3-track digital single which has familiarly named mixes (Massive Mix, Garage Trip or Garage Mix, and Pianopella). These are structurally very similar to the old Massive Mix, Epsom Mix, and (Holloway-only) Piano Version, but they're all new for 2009. All have Heather Small's vocals; even the "and time won't take my love away" sample has been replaced with new vocals. There's also the hi-hat/tambourine substitution and other minor differences.

[addendum, May 2022:] Black Box bought the rights to the Loleatta Holloway vocal in 2018. Then in late 2021 or early 2022, yet another re-do was swapped into the digital/streaming release of the Dreamland album. This one has the shaker and tambourine differences like in the 2009 release, yet different than before. More notably, it ditches the Heather Small vocals, and instead makes use of what's apparently an auto-tuned version of Loleatta Holloway's vocals, possibly including alternate takes!

I believe all original mid-1990 releases of the Dreamland album worldwide contain the original Loleatta version running 4:33 or 4:34. Starting with the 1995 Dreamland and Mixed Up! reissues (and the 1997 Hits & Mixes import), you get the "Remix" with Small's vocals.

Around 5 minutes into the 6:35 Massive Mix (Holloway version), you hear the vocal samples which were also the only vocals in the Ascot Mix. They start with "you get down" and end with "yeah, yeah". The 6:28 "The Original" Mix is identical until that point, but then the song closes out with repeated chorus vocals.

Edited by mjb50 on 11 May 2022 at 11:35pm
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 January 2022 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Thank you for sharing your expertise! :)

Especially the part about the mix that appears on Black Box's official Youtube copy of the video. I had a theory that the mix had been doctored after encountering it recently. Good to know I'm not
crazy.

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 January 2022 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

To add more info, following the UK July issue of Deconstruction 43055 "Ride
On Time (Massive Mix)" (Holloway), due to the sampling controversy, they
produced the Small version and issued it in September on Deconstruction
43241 "Ride On Time (Massive Mix) (Remix)". It hit #1 UK on 9 Sept staying
there for 6 weeks. So it was during its peak that the version was replaced. To
me, nothing beats Loleatta Holloway's vocal on that song!

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 January 2022 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

September! Given that timing, and even with the lag for imports to arrive, I'd guess that when it was a U.S. club hit, some venues would've been playing the Holloway version and some the Small version.

So even for the clubs, we can't say for sure one version was the hit.

I do remember seeing the 12"s in Columbus, Ohio, in late 1989, and I heard the song on WNCI's weekend dance mix shows. Friday Night Live was a locally produced show aired live from a club, and on Saturday night I believe they ran the syndicated Hot Mix, which they pretended was their own.

Edited by mjb50 on 09 January 2022 at 9:22pm
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 February 2023 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote mjb50

I've just been informed that the digital single has recently had all three versions (Massive Mix, Garage Mix, Pianopella) replaced with newly created mixes using the Holloway vocal. The YouTube video has had its audio replaced with a new Holloway mix, as well.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version