Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: 2005 Hot 100 in CD quality Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 July 2021 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

A little catch up...

From 2000-2003, I have been able to get every position's radio edit/clean version in CD quality for the entire Hot 100. For 2000 the difficult one was Toca's Miracle, which was found on an import compilation since the CD single was lossy here in the USA.

For 2004 I gave up on Pitbull's Culo which is lossy everywhere (on his 2004 album, promo and Greatest). I ordered the CD single for What's Happenin by the Yin Yang Twins, which is the only other radio edit that is lossy to see if its lossless on the promo.

Now we get to 2005. I can say that with a little effort I've been able to whittle it down to 10 songs that are not lossless in 2005's Hot 100.

Bobby Valentino - Slow Down (The LP is lossless but the Radio Edit, including all promos and online downloads are lossy)
Boyz N Da Hood - Dem Boyz (The LP is 15 seconds short of the 4:30 on the promo. Have to order the promo, which is nowhere to be found unless anyone can tell me the promo is lossy)
Damian Jr. Gong Marley - Welcome to Jamrock (Not sure if the promo is lossy)
Marques Hoston- Naked (The LP is lossless, but unsure if the promo for this which runs about 35 seconds shorter is lossless, possible edit from LP?)
Melissa Ethridge - Cry Baby/Piece of My Heart (Itunes download, not available on CD)
Monchy & Alexandra - Perdidos (LP runs 20 seconds shorter, promo appears to be only place to get the radio version, not sure if its lossy)
Tommy Lee - Good Times (good news this is the album version off TommyLand: The Ride, bad news is that I have to order it to find out if its lossless, which it probably is)
T'Pain - I'm Sprung (Whether its on NOW or the CD promo just like Slow Down, its lossy everywhere.) Dont think you can edit the LP to create it.
Various Artists - Across The Universe (Itunes download, not available on CD)
Webbie - Give Me That (The Radio Edit is the only place to get a clean version, the album is only out in Explicit.) Not sure if its lossy or not.

So there you have it. If anyone has the promos or knows where to find CD quality of any of these tracks let me know. This is the first true year that Itunes downloads figured into an actual chart hit on the Hot 100 and then they disappeared just as quick. In 15 years they have never been released on CD and probably never will be.

Edited by PopArchivist on 16 July 2021 at 8:37pm

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 July 2021 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

I have a CD single of Toca's Miracle on the shelf. Though I'd guess that it is also a domestic version, I'd have to assume it's lossy by your notations. How did
you get notes on the CD single source? (I ask being totally uninformed about this particular tune.)

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 July 2021 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

AdvprosD wrote:
I have a CD single of Toca's Miracle on the shelf. Though I'd guess that it is also a domestic version, I'd have to assume it's lossy by your notations. How did
you get notes on the CD single source? (I ask being totally uninformed about this particular tune.)

The radio edit, which times in at 3:21 without silence is lossy on the domestic single, as per Aaron. The Miracle Radio Edit is considered the one that got airplay. I never heard the 3:01 and keep in mind this song barely cracked the Hot 100. Its only because I like club mixes I even heard it when it was on WKTU in 2000 once or twice. If you look at the spectrum the import rip is way above 20 where the promo, even just listening is not as sharp.

I also use a program called Fakin the Funk which generally spots lossy files that might look lossless but don't peak high enough.

Promo Spectrum

https://ibb.co/KxHmz3t

Import CD Rip

https://ibb.co/k3Kz370

https://www.discogs.com/Fragma-Tocas-Miracle/release/84771

It also doesn't help that this song had some rights controversy in the late 2000's which pulled all digital copies off platforms. About all you will find now is a remade version from 2008. However, I think Toca's Miracle was huge in the UK.

Edited by PopArchivist on 16 July 2021 at 11:35pm

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 July 2021 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

AdvprosD wrote:

The mp3 was developed in 1994-1995. There are instances in the late 90's where files are lossy on the CD promo (Step by Step by Whitney Houston is a prime example). There was one other lossy in the 2000 assembly, but you can sidestep it if you have the LP in lossless to create the edit (if I recall Toni Braxton's Spanish Guitar was the one).

Edited by PopArchivist on 16 July 2021 at 11:45pm

cristianmdp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 July 2021 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote cristianmdp

Please check your PMs :)

Edited by cristianmdp on 18 July 2021 at 2:36am
Back to Top View cristianmdp's Profile Search for other posts by cristianmdp Visit cristianmdp's Homepage

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 July 2021 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

Tracklist
1     Toca's Miracle (Miracle Radio Edit)     3:24 (3:22)
2     Toca's Miracle (Toca Radio Edit)        3:25 (3:31)
3     Toca's Miracle (Miracle Extended Mix)   5:37 (5:36)
4     Toca's Miracle (Toca Club Mix)         5:44 (5:44)
5     Toca's Miracle (In Petto Remix)        6:45 (6:45)
        Remix – In Petto*

From the Discogs listing link (Above) GM222CD

That is actually the CD single I have. The odd thing I noticed was the times listed on the tracks. Perhaps someone put actual times in the listing instead of the times
printed on the back of the CD case. The times shown above in parentheses are the times printed on my CD single. My autocorrect doesn't like the word "Toca."

I also noted they aren't allowing anyone to sell it. I suppose the ban on digital versions continues.

Discogs has this listed as a US version on Grooveillicious Music, NY and a host of other labels not from the USA. Orbit Records for one. I wonder if that's a part
of the same Orbit company that publishes books nowadays?

I went to Wikipedia and I don't see this CD single listed with the other CD singles. I also went to Youtube and listened to the 2008 version which was a dud.

Edited by AdvprosD on 17 July 2021 at 11:59am

cristianmdp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 July 2021 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote cristianmdp

"Release has been blocked from the Marketplace as a result of a legal notice received by Discogs asserting that the release was not licensed by the rights holder. Ref. #377486."

GM222CD

Edited by cristianmdp on 17 July 2021 at 11:58am
Back to Top View cristianmdp's Profile Search for other posts by cristianmdp Visit cristianmdp's Homepage

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 July 2021 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Update

Here is what I can't find lossless (or available for purchase anywhere)

Boyz N Da Hood - Dem Boyz (The LP is 15 seconds short of the 4:30 on the promo.
Marques Hoston- Naked (The LP from Qobuz is lossy, the edit is lossy...most likely its lossy. Promo near impossible to find.)
Webbie - Give Me That (The Radio Edit is the only place to get a clean version, the album is only out in Explicit.) Ordered the promo to see if its lossless.

As for 2004, What's Happenin' by the Yin Yang Twins radio edit is lossless on the promo! That means Culo by Pitbull is the only song for the year not available in lossless quality. That sucks!

So that leaves I'm Sprung, Slow Down, Across The Universe, Dem Boyz, Naked and Cry Baby (and possibly Give Me That) as the only lossless for the year. On to 2006!

Edited by PopArchivist on 20 July 2021 at 7:28pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version