Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: OT: Fleetwood Mac "Fireflies" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 May 2021 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Some information about this #60-peaking Stevie Nicks composition from 1980, surely of interest to some who peruse the board:

The 45 version is a "3:30" (listed) edit of the "4:04" (listed) "Remix (Long Version)" that appeared on Side 2 of the Promotional 12" Single. Both of these versions have become
available on CD and digital download in recent years.

The 45 version, which carried a "Remixed" notation on the US 7" pressing, was issued on the Fleetwood Mac compilation 50 Years: Don't Stop in 2018, running about 3:31.4. The
"Long Version" has since been released on the Deluxe Edition reissue of Fleetwood Mac Live, where it runs 4:03.7. The 45 version on 50 Years has a slightly hotter and more
compressed mastering than the "Long Version" on Live, but not to a point of being brickwalled or overly compressed IMO.

FYI, the 45 version found on 50 Years: Don't Stop may run a few seconds short of the true 45 version. I don't have the actual 7" single to compare it to, but I do have a
rip of the same "Edit" version from Side 1 of the Promotional 12" single, where it runs to about 3:36. While some of this difference might come down to my vinyl rip running a touch slow,
the Promotional 12" pressing definitely contains about 3 additional measures of fade-out than the earlier-faded version on 50 Years: Don't Stop. It is entirely possible
that the fade was hastened a little on the actual 45, and that the version on 50 Years is correct, but I will wait for someone with the actual 45 to hopefully confirm.

If you want the 45 version with the slightly longer fade, good news: you can make one edit to the "Long Version (Remix)" on the remastered Fleetwood Mac Live as follows:

1. Delete the 27.943 seconds from the snare hit at 3:04.806 to the snare hit at 3:32.749.
2. That's it. Seriously, that's the entire edit. It does take a little finesse because there's a bit of an electrical drop-out in the mix just before the edit point on the right. You
will want to keep most of the "left" snare hit if you can. You will know when you hear it.

Edit will run 3:36.436 with outro silence.
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

AutumnAarilyn
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote AutumnAarilyn

I love the deluxe treatment their catalog is getting but
I could do without the additional vinyl.
Back to Top View AutumnAarilyn's Profile Search for other posts by AutumnAarilyn

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 September 2021 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Bump for Rich L
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2024 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I have a dub of the short 45 but it doesn't play out to silence. As a result I'm not sure where it went dead.

It feels like it starts fading sooner than the version on the Deluxe, but whether that means it actually shaves a few seconds off the end or not, I couldn't say.

To my ears, it sounds like the fade starts about 312.312 of your created edit, on the downbeat. It does seem like a very slow fade, so maybe it does go all the way out to the LP fade end?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 April 2024 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Thanks for the extra info., Gene ... so we have one vote for 'maybe the 45 length on Don't Stop is actually correct and the promo 12" just ran a few seconds longer'. I can live with that! LOL

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version