Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Police-Don’t Stand So Close To Me Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 May 2006 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Both the stereo & mono sides of my promo 45 have a listed time of (3:20), list "Edited Version", and both have an actual run time of (3:36). Deadwax for stereo side: (very lightly) AM 2301 A (now darker) AM 02295 A DJ; finshing again with a light, loopy "S"3.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2006 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Is the edit at the very beginning?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2006 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Yes, Doug. Hard to be absolutely precise with the very soft fade-in of my promo, but the Box Set has a :36 intro before the start of Sting's vocal; only :12 or :13 on the promo; seems A&M kept the VERY beginning of the fade-in; then just cut out the remaining intro, right up to the vocal.

Edited by jimct on 15 May 2006 at 9:35pm

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2006 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Interesting. Not having the original LP or commercial single (so I can't compare), the full-length CD version seems to have a little surface pop just before the guitar leading into Sting's vocal kicks in (this again being the Every Breath You Take: The Classics CD). Wonder if that was present on the vinyl LP or 45.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 May 2006 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Let me see if I've got this, Jim. On the intro at (0:07), you hear a faint guitar melody. Right after that, you hear a very faint rhythm (which is probably some kind of time/rhythm keeper being heard through the headphones of the drummer). Then there is a slight feedback noise, and on the promo it cuts to the hi-hat tap right before Sting's vocal?

Keeping rhythm, the most logical place for the edit would have to be on the hi-hat tap, which you can match to the faint time keeper heard in the intro. I made my edit on the "one" count of the rhythm. Does that sound about right? My end result was just a hair short of (3:36), using the version from The Classics.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2006 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron: I follow your description, and it's sounding right on - they did exactly what you said, regarding the cut to the hi-hat tap right before Sting's vocal. Having my volume up FULL, I believe I hear one to seconds of keyboard fading in before I hear the first faint time-keeper, but it also sounds a lot like an empty-sound lead groove with some vinyl surface noise - it's just SO faint. If I give maximum "time credit" to this early keyboard and the VERY faintest hint of time-keeper, it could be more like :14 to even :15 to Sting. I know you're trying to do a re-creation; I know you require painstaking detail on this. Aaron, don't quibble if you're within 2 seconds on this - any differences are coming from exactly WHEN the faded into starts to be heard, and then timed.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 June 2006 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks to Jim, I was just able to hear the promo 45 version. Making an edit on the intro as I suspected earlier will NOT give you this promo version. It sounds as if the intro on this version is a unique mix that cannot be edited using the LP version. I'll have to check more carefully to be sure, but it sounds as if the intro is simply fading in before the vocal starts (as if the first half of the intro before the drums start was chopped off). The reason I say it sounds like a unique mix is because about half way through the fade in, it sounds like the bass drum is at full volume, while the rest of the instruments are still only at half volume and still fading in.

Edited by aaronk on 04 June 2006 at 12:35am
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 June 2006 at 12:45am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

OK, upon listening to the promo version more carefully and removing some ground hum that was present, it seems plausible that you could re-create this version by fading in the LP version. My initial speculation of the intro being mixed differently is most likely just a difference in EQ.

Essentially, it's a very soft (barely audible for the first four or five seconds) fade in, which starts just after the point where the drums kick in on the LP (about 13 seconds before the vocal). This fade in remains fairly low throughout the entire fade (50% or less) and then quickly hits 100% in the last few split seconds before the vocals come in.

Overall, it's not a very impressive "edit" job. In fact, since this was designed for radio, it's much worse than just going with the full-length LP/45 version. The audio on the fade in is so low, it fights with the surface noise of the record to be heard. What DJ wants to deal with a record that you can't even find the cue up point?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 July 2008 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

The database comments for the Police's "Don't Stand So Close to Me" currently state that commercial 45 copies all run 4:00. You might also want to add that the commercial 45 does not run 4:03 as stated on the record label.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2008 at 12:26am | IP Logged Quote abagon

My stock commercial copy (A&M 2301-S) has the running time of (3:58), but the listed time is "4:03" on the record label.
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 September 2008 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Does anyone have an accurate mock-up or even the real radio promo edit for the Police "Don't Stand"... (3:37) It does not need to be of high-quality. I just want to be able to hear it. I would appreciate it.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2010 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Jimct & Aaronk, did you two decide there was an edit in the into, or that it was simply faded up 13 sec before the lyrics?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

ASIDE: What's interesting to me about this song is that, as the intro progresses, you can hear the producer unmuting instruments / tracks as they come in:

:06 - guitar

:07 - "bump" in sound suggests drums unmuted almost same time as guitar

:16 - almost sounds like a metronome gets accidentally unmuted!

:21 - Is there an edit here? Rhythm seems to fall apart. If you're counting with the whatever's-keeping-rhythm, it jumps.

It sounds to me like each of these channels were manually unmuted, not that they used a noise gate as I might have suspected.

Top 40 radio audio compression sucked this intro volume WAY up; in fact, the station I was at in 1989 pulled this off of VINYL and the record noise / clicks & pops were TERRIBLE over the air on the intro. I'd try to talk over it every time just to keep the noise levels down! :)

Edited by NightAire on 29 March 2010 at 11:06pm

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 March 2010 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

NightAire wrote:
Jimct & Aaronk, did you two decide there was an edit in the into, or that it was simply faded up 13 sec before the lyrics?

It's definitely just faded up about 13 seconds before the vocal. This is not a straight 0 to 100% fade up. It's more like this:

0 sec - 0%
1 sec - 3%
2 sec - 5%
3 sec - 7%
4 sec - 10%
5 sec - 15%
6 sec - 20%
7 sec - 25%
8 sec - 30%
9 sec - 35%
10 sec - 40%
11 sec - 45%
12 sec - 50%
13 sec - 100%

Yes, it's really goofy sounding like that.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 April 2015 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

sriv94 wrote:
Interesting. Not having the original LP or commercial single (so I can't compare), the full-length CD version seems to have a little surface pop just
before the guitar
leading into Sting's vocal kicks in (this again being the Every Breath You Take: The Classics CD). Wonder if that was present on the vinyl LP or 45.

Can anyone who has the vinyl 45 confirm whether there's a little static noise right before the guitar kicks in? (This would be right around the (:20) mark.) I've heard
one single on YouTube where it's present, and another where it isn't.

The one where it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU_Juyj-n7k

The one where it isn't (granted, not taken from a 45, but none of the CD versions I've heard match this): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLIikaJCTlU

Edited by sriv94 on 06 April 2015 at 3:19pm

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 April 2019 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Hey guys. Would still like to know the answer to this one.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version