Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Tiffany "Could’ve Been" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 February 2019 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Ron S wrote:

I am sorry that my posts about finding a song on a
particular CD is
bothering you. And btw I am a paying member and fairly
new to the board
and trying to figure things out.

Thanks!

Ron, it's great to have you on board. Had it not been
for my discovery of this forum in 2007 through an
article posted about '45 versions' and 'DJ edits' I'd
still have all LP versions for songs prior to 1994!

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Ron S wrote:
Just heard the song on Casey's top
40....it was #1 btw and Casey played the
LP mix. It had so much echo in it. Casey usually
played the 45 version of the songs.

I never noticed a lot of consistency on what got
played on AT40. Usually it was the 45 version, and
often the radio edit, but occasionally I'd hear album
versions too.
I believe that at least some of the retro AT40 shows
being used today have been remastered, which could
mean a different version/mix of a song than what Casey
played back in the day.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Hykker - I talked to Shannon Lynn (he remastered the '70s-'80s AT40 shows) a while back, and I think he tried to use the proper edits/versions when he could. I've heard some song abbreviations (especially in the year-end shows) that were undoubtedly AT40 in-house edits, and it sounds like Shannon preserved or re-created those edits whenever he could.

But I don't know how deep his knowledge base was. For example, I was in radio in the late '80s, and I didn't realize that "Could've Been" had a dedicated 45 mix until I found it here on the forum. If I didn't know about it, I can't imagine that he would have realized it, either.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Ron S wrote:
Our radio station had the countdown thus why there was no link to my post.   

You were vague in your original post, which is why I thought you were possibly referring to an online video such as youtube. I am a huge Casey fan and was not aware that any radio even played his old countdowns.

Ron S wrote:
I am sorry that my posts about finding a song on a particular CD is
bothering you.

I have no idea where you got that impression Ron S, you are not a bother. Rather I think it is more that the board is searchable and sometimes topics have already been discussed that do answer your questions. Pat's database will point you in the right direction of the location of the 45 version if it is available on CD.

Ron S wrote:
And btw I am a paying member and fairly new to the board and trying to figure things out.

I will contact you via your email to assist you. We are all very friendly here and I in no way meant to give you any impression that I am not here to help.

If there is anything I can answer for you after you get my email please don't be afraid to ask. We all love music and we are all here for the same thing.
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

MCT1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2019 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote MCT1

Rebroadcasts of old episodes of American Top 40 have been distributed for a number of years. There are two series, one with episodes from the '70s, one from the '80s. A couple of weeks ago, the featured episode from the '80s series was from February 13, 1988. That's probably what Ron S. heard on the radio.

Agreed with the comments above, that 1) the people who remaster these shows are sensitive to songs having differing versions, and try to match what was in the original broadcasts, but that 2) they aren't perfect in that regard, and in a case like this, where the differences between the two versions are relatively subtle and probably not very well-known, who knows if they even realized that there is a difference. Ideally, of course, they'd be hanging around on this discussion board....   

Earlier this evening, I was listening to a recording I have of the show from January 30, 1988, two weeks before the episode that Ron S. heard. (My recording is from the 21st century rebroadcast series, not the original broadcast from 1988.) I popped in here because I had a question about the #1 song, "Need You Tonight" by INXS, and was surprised to see a thread on the front page about the #2 song, which was "Could've Been".

I went back and listened to "Could've Been" again, and it is the album version. The "monstrous echo" referenced upthread on the line "just about to die" is definitely present. As with the episode Ron S. heard, it's conceivably possible that this isn't what was played on the original broadcast.       
Back to Top View MCT1's Profile Search for other posts by MCT1

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 April 2020 at 4:29am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

MCT1 wrote:
I went back and listened to "Could've Been" again, and it is the album version. The "monstrous echo" referenced upthread on the line "just about to die" is definitely present. As with the episode Ron S. heard, it's conceivably possible that this isn't what was played on the original broadcast.

That's possible for sure, but I wouldn't put it past Casey to have played an album version on the show. In fact, I seem to remember about a month after he left and Shadoe Stevens stepped in, the album version of "Monkey" by George Michael was played during the last two weeks it was in the Top 40. I remember thinking that was odd because I believe up until then, they had only played the Single Version, and AT40 was the only place I heard the Single Version on the radio. My local Top 40 only played the Album Version.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version