Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Carly Simon - Coming Around Again Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 September 2020 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

So I am again working on the Hot 100 in 1987 and this song comes up. All great the 45 version is available on numerous compilations, so no issue there. The 45 version runs 3:39.

Now back a few years ago when Aaron recommended picking it up, the Hits 6 Album has a 3:34 of the song, which appears to be an early fade. Generally 1987 comps like these have the correct 45/promo versions. This is consistent with the 45 promo, which has a label time of 3:31. I don't know if it matches the 45 promo, but that is my best guess because the 45 single has a label time.

To confuse matters there is a 1986 CD promo (one of the first) which has the song. Since Aaron did not have it we don't know what the time on that is.

So if anyone has a 45 dub of the promo and can see if its 3:34, much appreciated.

Edited by PopArchivist on 12 September 2020 at 9:40pm

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 May 2023 at 1:23am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I'd love to know if there's been any progress on the possible versions of this song.

I always enjoyed this one (although as a "cool" teenager, I could never admit it at the time).

The 2004 remaster on "Reflections" sounds very close but not quite the way I remember it sounding on the radio; IF there are any differences, it's only mix differences. The structure, length, instrumentation all sound the same.

It's possible the "differences" are simply heavy 1980s multiband FM audio processing, and 35 years since I last heard the song...

Anybody have any info on lengths / mixes / etc.?

(For my money, she hit it out of the park again a few years later with "Better Not Tell Her.")

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 May 2023 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I ended up finding the promo CD single a couple years ago, and it's the same version found on all the other CDs I have it on. The only difference is that the promo is rather dull sounding on the highs.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

LunarLaugh
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 May 2023 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote LunarLaugh

NightAire wrote:
I'd love to know if there's been any progress on the possible versions of this
song.

I always enjoyed this one (although as a "cool" teenager, I could never admit it at the time).

The 2004 remaster on "Reflections" sounds very close but not quite the way I remember it sounding
on the radio; IF there are any differences, it's only mix differences. The structure, length,
instrumentation all sound the same.

It's possible the "differences" are simply heavy 1980s multiband FM audio processing, and 35
years since I last heard the song...

Anybody have any info on lengths / mixes / etc.?

(For my money, she hit it out of the park again a few years later with "Better Not Tell Her.")

You might also be used to hearing the live version from the Martha's Vineyard concert that VH1
aired quite a bit back in the day. Of course, that version also incorporates the "Itsy Bitsy
Spider" reprise that was featured on the original album (and in the film "Heartburn").

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version