Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Paula Abdul "Straight Up" promo Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 May 2006 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Jim might be able to answer this one:

Was there a promo CD single for Paula Abdul's "Straight Up" that contained four different versions of the song? I saw one advertised ONCE in Goldmine many years ago and have not run across it since.

An old import commercial CD single is very common for this title, however, it FADES all the remixes early to accomodate the 20-minute running time of a 3-inch CD! Though the title was also issued on a five-inch import, it retained the early-faded versions.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 May 2006 at 4:51am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Brian, we may have gotten a promo 12" vinyl on "Straight Up" with those versions, that I have somewhere deep in my "auxiliary storage dungeon", but we only got Virgin PRCD 2539 in as a Promo CD single, 1 track, (4:11). An old radio station chief engineer buddy of mine is also very deep into promo CD singles - he would go into NYC once a month to fill in gaps/discover remix promos. We talk often, and I will ask him about it and follow up with you. Our station didn't have a big rep for playing those longer remixes - pretty much "Straight Up" (pun intended) Top 40. So we may not have been sent one that DID exist in this case, although we still did get in plenty of remix promo CD singles. I kept a careful eye out for them.

Edited by jimct on 13 May 2006 at 6:21am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 May 2006 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Thanks, Jim.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2006 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Brian: Getting back to you on this, as promised. Have touched base with my fellow promo-remixes-CD collector; he also has only the 1 track, (4:11) version on a promo CD single. There could still be a promo CD out there that's escaped the both of us, especially since you saw a Goldmine ad for a promo remix CD, but my friend is practically a "private-eye" in sniffing out the existence of these; he doesn't currently have one on his want list. And he would, if he saw what you saw - and he both bought and scoured through Goldmine EVERY week.   

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2006 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

It's possible I either misread the ad or the ad or the ad was inaccurate. Since I've never seen once since, maybe it doesn't exist. But I was sure that about 1994 I saw an ad in Goldmine for a four-mix promo CD for "Straight Up."

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 1:37am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Brian: I currently see a promo 12" vinyl for "Straight Up" (Virgin 1262) available for 8 bucks, by reputable dealer Craig Moerer. This may be your best bet for right now, although I realize it's not a CD. This jives with my recollection of a 12" promo coming into our station for that back in '89. Did a little investigating; I believe that the very available import 5" clone of the Japanese 3" first appeared in mid-1993, and could possibly be a boot. A couple of CD single websites I know of, as well as a Virgin label all-format release discography, does not list a 2nd promo. Anything's always possible, though...

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

I have a US "Straight Up" 12 Inch. Here is the info in case it helps:

In generic Virgin sleeve, 0-96594, 33 1/3 RPM

Side A: 12" Remix (6:52) Power Mix (4:57)

Side B: House Mix (7:10)

I can confirm the 12" Remix is available on CD on the Japanese "Cold Hearted" EP (VJD-5556) which I own, but can't help with the other two.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Ok, I recalled there was a UK 3" CD so I googled for it, and for those interested, all the versions of the 12 inch and yet another mix can be found on the UK 3" CD, SRNCD111 : )

Straight Up (12" remix)
Straight Up (Power mix)
Straight Up (House Mix)
Straight Up (Marley Marl Mix)

Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Right, but as I said in the first post, most of the mixes on that CD are faded early -- WAY early -- to accomodate the 20-minute limit of a 3" CD. The Power Mix, which is supposed to run 4:57, only runs about three minutes -- it just fades out at that point. Though I think it does contain the full 12" Remix.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

AHA! I knew I wasn't crazy. I'd been searching Ebay for cassette singles of Straight Up, and they all had the LP version of Cold Hearted as the B-side, just like the 45. But I was sure mine was backed with the Power Mix of Straight Up.

Finally:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paula-Abdul-Straight-Up-1988-single_W0QQ itemZ4805834327QQcategoryZ1600QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So it seems there were two pressings of the cassette single: one backed with Cold Hearted, and one backed with the Power Mix.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Wow, what a disappointment to receive a CD and then the versions fading in early, I remember that happened to me with the Belinda Carlisle "Circle In The Sand" Beach Party Mix on the UK CD single, also on the Virgin label. Though to my knowledge there was no 3" CD released, guess they felt like fading the version out a little before, whatever.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Is "Circle in the Sand" one of those that has sort of a hazy film outside the area where the CD playing area is? I had the same case with Janet Jackson's Alright import, the one with the black and white cover. The extended versions faded early. My "Straight Up" is like that too -- it's a 5-inch, but it's really sort of like a three-inch on a five-inch disc.

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

sidenote to Brian's Post - there were also 2 different pressings of the 45 - one with the Power mix on the flipside, the other pressing with Cold Hearted (just like the cassette singles)
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 May 2006 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Brian, I am at work so can't double check the disc, but your description seems quite accurate from what I can recall. I do clearly remember the disc has the legend "Another Virgin CD Single" on the label side towards the outer edge of the disc. The "Heaven Is A Place On Earth " UK CD single is like that, too, except lettering on the CD is in blue rather than black. Does the "Straight Up" have that legend, too?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 May 2006 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

cmmmbase wrote:
sidenote to Brian's Post - there were also 2 different pressings of the 45 - one with the Power mix on the flipside, the other pressing with Cold Hearted (just like the cassette singles)

Hmm, thanks.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 September 2007 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

My edition of Pat's book indicates that DJ 45 copies ran 3:50, while commercial copies ran 4:11 and 4:57.

For what it's worth, my commercial 45 is -

A: Straight Up - printed 4:11
B: Straight Up ("Powermix") - printed 4:57

It appears that the UK single ran 3:50 also, which is featured on two UK compilations:

Now That's What I Call Music 14 (Virgin EMI PolyGram UK CD NOW 14, 1989)
Now That's What I Call Music 1989 (Virgin EMI PolyGram UK 8 27077 2, 1993)

The 3:50 version is just an early fade of the LP version, and can be recreated with a 24-beat fade from 3:33.0-3:48.0. (Times from CD Forever Your Girl.)
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 September 2007 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Also for what it's worth, I have perfectly recreated the Power Mix using the early-faded version on my CD single as well as the 12" Remix on that same CD.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 November 2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

both my commercial 45 and commercial cassingle are issued with the same catalog number virgin 99256 and both run the same length 4:10......the commercial 45 states a run time of 4:11 while the cassingle has no notation......my cassingle has the "power mix" as track 2...the commercial 45 was NOT originally issued with a picture sleeve...

Edited by edtop40 on 01 November 2008 at 4:52pm

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 November 2008 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Unmentioned so far is the 7" promo which is shown as an edit and is listed as running 3:50. The intro is shortened, maybe a slightly earlier fade. Scans available on request.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 November 2008 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Paula looks quite innocent in that pic...way before the "Idol" bizarre behavior. :)
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version