Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Police "Every Little Thing She Does..." Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 October 2008 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Not that I know of, unfortunately.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2008 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Could it be that the cutting master for the 45 just had more VU level or compression, thus making those instruments stand out a tad more?

One other thoery; since 45s are made of polystyrene plastic as opposed to true vinylite plastic, and are thinner, the stylus height angle is lower, thus effectively increasing tracking force very slightly. When using an eliptical stylus tip that is fitted on most moving-magnet cartridges to track these records, you can get an increase of 1.5 to 2 dB in the 2-3 KHz range where your ears are most sensitive. Although this is simply tracking error, it can cause the upper-midrange to sound more "present" - just a thought.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 October 2008 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Nope, it's definitely a different mix. I'll let you take a listen for yourself and report back.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2008 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

The vocals are mixed very softly in the LP mix and very loudly in the 45 mix, and this difference (and others) is not a case of the stylus tracking force being increased ever so slightly on 45s due to the stylus height angle being lower.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2008 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

aaronk wrote:
Nope, it's definitely a different mix. I'll let you take a listen for yourself and report back.

I have indeed listened and concur with Aaron's findings. I'll admit on my turntable I have only listened to the Ghosts in the Machine LP track, so that is my reference for comparison here.

I think that the vocal track was compressed heavier on the 45, so that the reverb stands out more. If I set a compressor's release knob to something very quick like 50ms, it will push up the level of the end or trail of the sound.

This is best demonstrated with a snare hit. You normally hit the drum, here a transient bang, and then the sound quickly trails off - but through heavy compression where the threshold is set low (say -30 dB) and the release time is quick, the drum will hit, and as the sound trails off, the level will quickly rise, giving a fake echoey sound to the drum.

I hear the reverb on the LP version, and I find the "average" level of Sting's voice is the same. But if you compress his voice track, and remix it in at the same average level, it will appear more echoey and "louder". I find the music tracks seem to be mixed down similarly on both.

Funny I never noticed before, but on AM or on CHR formats in 1981, the last times I could be certain I was listening to a 7" promo, I would not likely notice this, given that radio was very compressed in the day. So even if I picked up on the difference, I would likely have mistaken it for station processing.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Hamilton, Ontario)

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2008 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

On the subject of the Police;

I had asked if anyone has a copy of the "Don't Stand" promo. Apparently, it fades up while the percussion starts from what I gather here. If someone could send me even a crappy MP3 (I don't need high fidelity here) showing me the promo here, I would appreciate it. I have never heard it to my knowledge.

When TM Century Stereo Rock automation was aired on Rock 102 (WBEN-FM) in Buffalo, NY, they aired what I believe is a custom edit. The last part of the solo keyboard fades up, and the percussion starts. During the instrumental break before the final chorus, it is reduced from four runs to three runs. I will send a mock up I have made of this edit to Aaron, so he can hear it and maybe describe it better. It is exactly how Stereo Rock aired it, and I wondered if it was how the promo went.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Hamilton, Ontario)

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 October 2008 at 12:49am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It appears the Stereo Rock must have been a custom edit, because the promo 45 does not contain any edits. It only has a slow fade up at the beginning, leaving only 14 seconds of intro time.

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 October 2008 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

My lord! (I have just listened to a sample of the "Don't Stand" intro, as it appeared on the promo version - thank you, Aaron).

I'll say it again, "My Lord!, How in heck's name were announcers expected to cue this one up?" .. lol! Worse yet, I could imagine someone in production carting up this version up, and the announcer thinking always that the last person didn't let the cart fast-forward to the beginning. It's silent!!!

I actually like my mock up better. That makes two songs that this has happened to. Funny no one played that version in this market .... you think?

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 June 2009 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

"Now That's What I Call '80s 2", which was released today, contains "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic". If anyone gets this or can determine if the single mix was used, please let us know.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 June 2009 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

EdisonLite wrote:
"Now That's What I Call '80s 2", which was released today, contains "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic". If anyone gets this or can determine if the single mix was used, please let us know.

The download on Amazon says it runs 4:20, so it must not be.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 July 2009 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

EdisonLite wrote:
"Now That's What I Call '80s 2", which was released today, contains "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"...

Wow, you mean it really took 'em 15 months since the release of volume one to come up w/ THAT track list?!? (*yawn*) Interesting how the first four years of the decade (1980-83 - i.e., the pre-CD era) are represented by only THREE songs ("Every Little Thing...", "Don't You Want Me", "Separate Ways") on this new 19-track volume. Twelve of them were #1 or #2 hits in "Billboard", and only ONE peaked outside the top 20 ("Rebel Yell")! Hopefully future volumes will be even just a bit more inspired...

"I been lonely so long/
Don't know why/
Comes to lovin' you/
Just get by

Sometimes love/
Is a real good thing, but.../
Tell me, girl/
Where you been?"

(clues: 1984; male vocals)

Now, let's see THAT one turn up on a future "NOW '80s" volume! :-)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 July 2009 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

Music's last great decade has so many great "lost" 80's songs that still have not seen the light of day.
But mass appeal is the key to this series.
At least this one doesn't include "Come On Eileen" or "Electric Avenue" again.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2009 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

bwolfe wrote:
Music's last great decade has so many great "lost" 80's songs that still have not seen the light of day.

Amen! So what better opportunity than this series - that clearly has a well-established BRAND NAME that goes back more than 25(!) years, and has more than proven itself here in the U.S. over the last 10 - to re-introduce some of those "lost" or "forgotten" gems??? That was the primary reason for my criticism above. (More on that in a minute...)

IMHO, the song I quoted above is definitely one of those gems. And sadly, it has appeared on only one U.S. CD to date, which is now out-of-print - although thankfully, it does exist on several imports (one of which I have, along w/ the original parent album on a U.S. cassette). And while it missed the top 40, it DID make the top 100 in both "Billboard" and "Cash Box". No takers on this one??? :-( Surely SOMEBODY else on this elite & knowledgeable board must have this minor hit in their vast music collection (CD or otherwise) - and that song wasn't their only chart entry, either... :-)

Quote:
At least this one doesn't include "Come On Eileen" or "Electric Avenue" again.

Careful what you wish for - at this time, I'd say those are BOTH prime candidates for future volumes. (*sigh*) And let's not forget "She Blinded Me With Science" or (gag) "Love Shack"... :-(

Quote:
But mass appeal is the key to this series.

True, but as I stated above, the "Now" series ALREADY HAS that! I still remember quite well when the series was first introduced in the U.K. back in late '83. The first volume went straight to #1, and was so popular, that it was even imported into chain stores here in the U.S. - at least in SoCal anyway, where I lived at the time (Licorice Pizza, The Wherehouse, Tower, etc.). And yes, all the way back then - circa early to mid '84 - I bought it on cassette just for the sprinkling of lower- and non-charting U.S. hits! (Note: That very first volume in the series was just re-issued in January on CD in the U.K. for the very first time, as a special collector's edition.) Volume 2 followed a mere four months later, also went straight to #1, and the brand was established! For the next several years, I remember tracking the series, week after week, volume after volume, in the U.K. album chart that was re-printed on the "Hits Of The World" page in "Billboard". By the time the '80s were over, they were up to "Now 16" (ALL but volume 4 hitting #1 - that one got to only #2), and I'd acquired about half of them on cassette, most second-hand. My only question at that time was: Why the heck haven't we Yanks followed suit stateside on this brilliant & successful series?!?

Well, 15 years and 41 volumes into the series in the U.K. - not counting numerous additional special collections - the American record labels FINALLY took notice and got off their collective @$$es, releasing the first "Now" volume in the U.S. in late '98. (Of course, they didn't dare make the volumes TWO-disc sets, like they'd always been from day one in the U.K. - too risky!) SHOCKER: That first volume went top 10, and sold over a million! (*rolling eyes*) And even though I'd lost interest in most then-current music by '98, even I went so far as to buy that first American volume on cassette, just for the heck of it. As it stands, we're currently up to "Now 31", and ALL subsequent volumes have hit the top 5 and also sold over a million - most going even double- and triple-platinum! Even "Billboard" has published several articles over the last decade saying how well the series has done here, how surprised - and pleased - the labels have been, etc. (Amazon states that the series has now "collectively sold over 72 million copies in the U.S." since its 1998 introduction!)

Apparently over their early jitters, the U.S. labels are now emulating the Brits in releasing specialty collections in the "Now" series as well, including "Now Country", "Now Classic Rock", "Now Power Ballads", and of course, "Now 80s", among others. The first volume of "Now 80s" was released on March 11, 2008, and debuted at a fairly impressive #11 in the March 29 issue of "Billboard". (I have my stack of back issues right here next to me as I write this.) In fact, here's its entire decent 15-week chart run in the top 200 (* = bullet): 11*-23-36-55-74-90-93-105-121-168-187-178-185-198-190. Again, thanks to the brand name, I have no doubt that volume 2 will debut in the top 20 of the July 18 issue, and enjoy a similar chart run, despite its underwhelming track listing...

But here's the kicker (and the point of all this): For over a quarter-century, unlike the first two volumes in the U.S. "Now 80s" series, the U.K. editions of the regular "Now" series have NEVER had to rely on #1 or #2 chart hits to sell; lesser hits abound on them. And although they've been a bit more conservative, even the first 31 volumes in the regular U.S. "Now" series have always featured quite a few lower- and even non-charting songs! The same can certainly be done for the new "Now 80s" series, w/ no detrimental effect on sales. A total of 18-20 songs can fit on each volume; I'm not saying that more than half of them should be hits that missed the top 20, because yes, potential buyers need to be able to recognize the majority of the songs, but five or six per volume would be nice. :-) Right now, IMO, they're being WAY too cautious, throwing us one - maybe two - half-inspired tunes on each disc, at best. And they shouldn't be the same old lower-charting '80s hits that abound, either - e.g., "What I Like About You", "I Melt With You", "Tempted", etc. In other words, they could give us some forgotten & hard-to-find hits, too (like the one I quoted in my previous post), and guess what, I guarantee they'd STILL sell just as well! But hey, if they're gonna continue to go at least 15 months between volumes, well, then the series probably won't ever get past a half-dozen of them before the physical CD format dies out altogether anyway, resulting in yet another great missed opportunity...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 December 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I just examined Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic promo 45 02371-A, Stock 45 02371-A P2, and reissue 45 08633-A C2.

These are all the 45 mix.

There is a quick way to determine if you have the single remix.

At 36 seconds into the song, as the first chorus starts, there is a single piano note in the left channel.

If that piano note is accompanied by a delayed vocal in that channel, you have the single mix.

If there is only the piano note and no delayed vocal, you have the usual long mix.

The delayed vocal is off to one channel through much of the 45, while it's not heard on the CD versions.

Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2010 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Does anyone own the CD single of "Every Breath You Take / Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" issued in 1996 by A&M under the "Digital Memories" series? I used to own the CD single by Extreme from that series which included the single version of "More Than Words". Just wondering if the single mix of "Every Little Thing She Does..." could have been included on there too.

Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2010 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

995wlol wrote:
Does anyone own the CD single of "Every Breath You Take / Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" issued in 1996 by A&M under the "Digital Memories" series? I used to own the CD single by Extreme from that series which included the single version of "More Than Words". Just wondering if the single mix of "Every Little Thing She Does..." could have been included on there too.

I own it -- it's the album version.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2010 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Thanks for the info Brian. Oh well, it was worth a shot!!
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 April 2010 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

80smusicfreak wrote:
Must-play '80s song of the day (chart hit, but not necessarily top 40 - and if you don't already have it, track it down, lol):

"I been lonely so long/
Don't know why/
Comes to lovin' you/
Just get by

Sometimes love/
Is a real good thing, but.../
Tell me, girl/
Where you been?"

(clues: 1984; male vocals)

Now, let's see THAT one turn up on a future "NOW '80s" volume! :-)
It's been months and I have yet to come up with the title of this tune. Can anyone identify this mystery song? Thanks in advance.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 April 2010 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Google search says it's Billy Satellite "Satisfy Me."

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 April 2010 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Thanks Aaron. Just listened to the clip on iTunes. I've never heard the song prior.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version