Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Candi Staton - Stand By Your Man Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 May 2006 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I just picked up an old 1991 various artist compilation titled "Reaching For The Sky/Towering Soul For The 70's" on Capitol 96362. On tht cd I found a version of Candi Staton's minor hit "Stand By Your Man" in mono and noticed the time was (2:41) versus 2 other cd database entries that have this song in stereo and run (2:51). So I did an A/B comparison and discovered that the stereo mix is totally different and includes strings not found on this mono version. So, since I do not have either the original 45 or the LP of this song I thought I would ask the chat board members that have either the 45 or LP to comment on whether there are really differences between the 45 version and the LP version or whether one of these cd entires is a rerecording.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2006 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat: I do not have her LP on that, but I just timed my commercial 45, which is in mono, and it has both a stated and actual running time of (2:43). Somewhere in my reading travels, somebody in the Rhino/Varese sector was asked about a possible future artist release, and he happened to get into how the "Fame" label stuff is difficult to license; something about label owner Rick Hall just leasing his masters to majors like Atco, UA, and Capitol at the time, but retaining ownership, kind of like Dave Clark has done. The guy thought Rick might be planning a "Fame Box Set" for sometime down the road, but since Fame didn't have that many real hits on it, was reluctant to license any of it.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

To answer your question, Pat, my "Soul Patrol" CD is deeply buried somewhere, and I haven't picked up that new one from Eric yet, but I do have a 2:50-ish stereo version on a French import, and it appears to be the same as my mono 45 version, with just a slightly longer fade. I'm thinking the fact that I've located a stereo v, that's the same take as the 45, will help you to sort things out here.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 May 2006 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

It seems to me that the mono and stereo versions have the same vocal take but the stereo version has strings from :15 to :17 that are not on the mono versions. Do both of your mono and stereo versions have strings from :15 to :17 Jim?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2006 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I am totally in awe of you, Pat, and the folks on this Board: the ear that you guys have for the smallest differences in song detail; amazing. As usual, you're right, Pat: stereo HAS strings from :15 to :17; my mono 45 does NOT; wouldn't have picked those "unique" 2 seconds up myself in a million years...kudos, Mr. Downey.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 May 2006 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Now we just have to find someone that has the US stereo LP to verify that the "strings" version really is the stereo LP version. Anyone going to a used vinyl store anytime soon?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2006 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

It's possible that I might be visiting a couple of used vinyl record stores in my area this weekend, Pat. If I find a copy of Candy Staton's Stand by Your Man original vinyl LP, would you like me to pick it up and ship it to you?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 5:18am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

You bet Todd!

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 May 2006 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Just picked up a copy of the "Stand By Your Man" LP to verify that there truly is a difference between the LP version and the 45 version. The LP version has the differences as mentioned above and it runs (2:51) just like the stereo versions on compact disc. The 45 version runs (2:43) and can be found only on the cd "Reaching for The Sky/Towering Soul From The 70's" Capitol 96362

PhilMH
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote PhilMH

Hi Pat and everyone,

I've just spent a very enjoyable Sunday afternoon reading through a lot of these old threads, and I discovered this one about Candi Staton's 45 version of "Stand By Your Man". However, when I searched the database and clicked on the link for the compilation Reaching For The Sky/Towering Soul From The 70's, I found that the track listing seems to have been infiltrated by a Helen Reddy collection!   A similarity in the two Capitol catalogue numbers, perhaps?

Phil
Back to Top View PhilMH's Profile Search for other posts by PhilMH

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My error Phil, the correct catalog number for the "Reaching For The sky" cd is Capitol 96362.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 November 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 of the candi staton song "stand by your man" issued as fame 1472 is in mono and states a run time of 2:43 and does indeed run that length...i have the correct mono 45 version on cdr which i DIDN'T get from the only cd listed in the database as listed below, so there is another cd, import or domestic, that had the mono 45 version on it......

(M) (2:41) Capitol 96362 Reaching For The Sky/Towering Soul From The 70's (45 version)

Edited by edtop40 on 20 November 2010 at 7:06pm

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 November 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Just bought a used copy from Amazon due to this thread. Too bad the website doesn't benefit from all the sales it drums up.

Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 December 2010 at 1:29am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I just recently acquired a wave file of the mono 45 version of Candi Staton's "Stand by Your Man" which supposedly came from a CD source, but clearly sounds like it was mastered from vinyl. Could anyone who has a copy of the Reaching For The Sky/Towering Soul For The 70's CD (Capitol 96362) verify if the song sounds like it came from vinyl on there as well, or does it sound more like from a tape source?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version