Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Billy Idol - Mony Mony (Studio Version) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 May 2020 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

Does anyone know if the Original 1981 Single Version of "Mony Mony" running around 3:23 has ever appeared on CD or digitally anywhere? I've looked for it for years, but could never find it. I would assume it's the same mix as what's on the parent album, "Don't Stop", and could most likely be re-created from it or even the Promo 45 from 1987 which had a longer edit of the Studio Version as its B-Side. Thank you for any help with this.

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2020 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Hi Dan,

I found a video of the 1981 45 version on Youtube.

-E

Edited by EternalStatic on 17 May 2020 at 4:27am
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2020 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

To consolidate notes and add clarification: I made a failed attempt to recreate the 1981 single edit from the 1987 'Vital Idol' album remix. The 1987 mix is very similar to the original 1981 album version, in that the length and song structure is the same, but in the end, it turns out the mix is a bit different/more "processed" sounding. I have now gone back and done the edit correctly from the 1981 version. I used a .wav of the remastered "Don't Stop" EP as purchased from Qobuz US.

Edit points to recreate the 1981 45 version:
1. Delete 1.794 seconds from 2:04.798 to 2:06.592. This removes the first measure of the drum solo going into the bridge so that you get to the droning "airplane" feedback noise pretty much immediately on the cut.
2. FROM THE RESULTANT FILE: Delete 10.637 seconds from 2:30.979 to 2:41.617. This removes about six measures from the "I love you Mony, Mo-Mo-Mony" section, so that you get the first four complete turnarounds and then the final one, where one of the backup singers hits a higher note on "I love you *Mo*".
3. FROM THE RESULTANT FILE: Delete a length of (1:23.447) from 2:43.834 to 4:07.280. This is the longest and trickiest edit. The 45 isn't edited very smoothly here (see the video I posted above), so you will want to keep the little accidental cliff on the left side of your edit (you'll know it when you see it/listen to it), and edit just a bare smidge before the "return" downbeat, so that in the edited version you're crashing back into the "RIDE YOUR PONY!" section toward the end of the song instead of the "Come on!" vamping.

So, all in all, the same edit points as I had for the incorrect edit, but adjusted for the specific file, of course. Hope this helps. I am happy to share my edit "as a guide" if needed.

Edited by EternalStatic on 17 May 2020 at 4:42am
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2020 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

*There are also edit instructions for creating the 1987 "Single Edit" of the studio version on this older thread:
http://www.top40musiconcd.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1438

Bellenger1981
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote Bellenger1981

EternalStatic, thank you! Your instructions in
recreating the 1981 45 edit were PERFECT! I had no idea,
until seeing this post, that a difference between the
1981 and 1987 studio versions existed! I, too, like you,
had recreated the original 1981 edit using the 1987
studio version.

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 June 2020 at 5:09am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Glad to give back a little, Jason! I have definitely borrowed more than a few sets of editing instructions from this board, LOL.

Edited by EternalStatic on 20 June 2020 at 5:18am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version