Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Falco "Rock Me Amadeus" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 January 2005 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I only have my memory working on this one... Back in '86, when "Amadeus" was a #1 record, I remember my local top 40 station (and possibly Casey Kasem) playing the Canadian Version of the song BUT the ending was different. While the Canadian Version ends abruptly, the version I recall hearing on the air sounded like it had the last part of the "American Edit" spliced onto the end.

Again, this is just from memory, but I remember where the Canadian Version would end, the "bridge" that says "baby, baby, do it to me, rock me" came back in (for the 2nd time) and then the American Edit played to the end of the song (ending with "Amadeus" echoing). Was this on a DJ 45 or was this simply an edit created by someone in radio? Perhaps Casey didn't like the abrupt ending on the Canadian Version... I'm sure I'm not making this up, because when it was popular I tried to recreate this edit myself using my 45 and a cassette. Wow, I feel really nerdy for posting this.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 January 2005 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

OK, I just did a little searching online, and I ordered a copy of this mix. I'm not actually crazy...it's called the "Canadian-American '86 Mix" and I'm pretty sure that THIS is the version that received airplay where I lived (and I believe Casey used this version, too). I'll post my findings when I receive it.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 February 2005 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My 45 of "Rock Me Amadeus" showed up today, and this definitely IS the version I remember hearing on my local top 40 station AND (if someone can back me up on this) the mix that Casey Kasem used on Casey's Top 40.

The mix is called the "Canadian/American '86 Mix" and (obviously) it's a combination of the Canadian and American versions. For those interested, the mix is edited like this:

It starts similar to the Canadian Version, but goes right into the talking of Mozart's life. It then cuts to the American Version of the song with the first and second verses and choruses. Then, it's back to the Canadian Version with the sax solo. Finally, back to the American Version, where the girl sings "baby baby do it to me rock me" and plays to the end of the American Version ("amadeus" echos out).

I highly doubt this version has ever shown up on CD (certainly not here in the U.S.), but it's still nice to hear the mix that I was familiar with but could never find until now. (FYI, the 45 that I found is from Holland on A&M 390 090-7.)

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

My mid-to-late 1980s knowledge isn't nearly as strong as my 1960s/1970s/early 1980s knowledge, so bear with me.

I seem to recall hearing a version of "Rock Me Amadeus" in 1986 that has virtually no German lyrics at all--it starts with the "Rock me Amadeus Amadeus Amadeus. . .", has the "baby baby do it to me rock me" toward the end and ends cold (no "Amadeus" echo).

Which version was this?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

Sriv94,

The version you are talking about was the Canadian version and that is the one I remember being played on all of the stations in NY in the eighties.

Aaronk....I can't speak for the AT 40 and what Casem was playing back then but like said, NY radio was definitely playing the Canadian version.

-Fetta
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2008 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Is the so-called "Canadian Version" the edited Salieri Version? I know that on the CD and 12", there is the full-length Salieri version, then on the LP/CD/Stock 45 was the edited Salieri version. Then there was the video version. The latter contained the verses which were used in the American mix and edit.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Hamilton, Ontario)

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2008 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

So which is considered the hit version?

American

Canadian

New Mix '86
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 August 2008 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jody, the US Falco 3 album version (i.e. Salieri version) can be edited to make the Canadian Version. My US 12" has a different mix, called "The American Edit," which is a longer version of the American Version on the 45. I would guess that the American Version side of the 45 can be edited from the US 12" but I've never tried. I believe other contries (perhaps Canada & maybe all European countries) released the Salieri version on the 12" as opposed to "The American Edit."

You're right that the video version was different from both the American and Canadian sides of the US 45. I wonder if this was the single version in Europe. I have a Falco compilation CD that has what I presume to be this mix, although I haven't seen/heard the video in years.

For those interested, here's a summary of all the different versions I know of (feel free to add to the list, as there are many versions):

1. The Salieri Version (US CD, US vinyl LP, at least some non-US 12" singles)
2. The American Edit (US 12")
3. The American Edit 7" version (one side of the US 45 and presumably an edit of the US 12")
4. The Canadian Version (one side of the US 45 and an edit of the Salieri Version)
5. The Canadian/American '86 Mix (a combination of the US LP and US 12" versions; I've only ever found this version on an import 45)
6. Video Mix (my import compilation labels it as "The Gold Mix"; quite possibly the European 45 version)

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 August 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

eriejwg wrote:

Well, I haven't heard too many folks say they remember the "Canadian American '86 Mix," and it wasn't pressed on a US 45 that I know of. Probably both sides of the US 45 version would be considered the "hit" versions.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2008 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I ordered the Canadian/American import 45 yesterday. Not cheap either. This way, I'd have at least 3 versions.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 August 2008 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

eriejwg wrote:

American

Canadian

New Mix '86
John, we played nothing but the "Canadian Version" at our station back in 1986, where it got to #1. As a matter of fact, about 10 years later, our PD back in 1986, who had stayed in touch with me and had long ago moved on to a different station, asked me to dub him that version from my original promo 45, because it wasn't on a CD at the time, and he'd always considered it to be the "definitive" hit version, just like I do. But if I recall correctly, I do not believe Billboard does; I think they list the "American Edit" side as the "hit" side. I do remember that both sides of the 45 got significant Top 40 airplay in '86, although I must confess that I never remember hearing (or receiving into the station, for that matter) the "Canadian/American '86" mix that Aaron speaks of.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 August 2008 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Jim, Aaron and everyone, thanks for your input. I, too, remember a version we played on air that had a story of Mozart. It, too, must have been the Canadian version.

A shame that only one CD features the Canadian Version. If and when the new mix '86 comes in, will be nice to dub and have as a collector's item.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 August 2008 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jim, I would agree with you that the Canadian Version is probably the one that received the most airplay. Again, my memory is hazy about the '86 Mix, but I swear I remember hearing it in my market. Of course, what I also might have heard was a custom edit that just spliced on the American Version ending to the Canadian Version. Heck, the only thing I can say for sure is the '86 mix is a cool sounding version, regardless of whether it ever got any airplay!

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 September 2008 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Regarding "Rock Me Amadeus", the database currently (and correctly) states:

((the “Canadian” side of this 45 states a running time of (4:02) but actually runs (4:07))

Just wanted to add that abagon reports the actual commercial 45 run time for the "American" side runs 3:11.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

maciav
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2009 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote maciav

aaronk wrote:
My 45 of "Rock Me Amadeus" showed up today, and this definitely IS the version I remember hearing on my local top 40 station AND (if someone can back me up on this) the mix that Casey Kasem used on Casey's Top 40.

The mix is called the "Canadian/American '86 Mix" and (obviously) it's a combination of the Canadian and American versions. For those interested, the mix is edited like this:

It starts similar to the Canadian Version, but goes right into the talking of Mozart's life. It then cuts to the American Version of the song with the first and second verses and choruses. Then, it's back to the Canadian Version with the sax solo. Finally, back to the American Version, where the girl sings "baby baby do it to me rock me" and plays to the end of the American Version ("amadeus" echos out).

I highly doubt this version has ever shown up on CD (certainly not here in the U.S.), but it's still nice to hear the mix that I was familiar with but could never find until now. (FYI, the 45 that I found is from Holland on A&M 390 090-7.)

maciav
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2009 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote maciav

Aaron,
Can you tell me the length of your 45 from Holland with the Canadian-American mix? This is definitely the version that was played a lot on AT40, and it was also played a lot on the radio here in Central PA. And in my opinion, it blows away all other versions. Additionally, since your post in 2005, has this version been issued on any import CDs? This thread was last posted a year ago; I doubt there have been any releases in the past year with this version, but I wanted to at least ask the question.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 September 2009 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Mike, it runs 4:02. To my knowledge, this version still has not been issued on CD. But please let me know if you find it!

mstgator
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2009 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote mstgator

Just a note from a huge AT40 fan... I've been listening to copies of the original AT40 shows chronologically (just rolled into 1987 this week), and the above-mentioned Canadian-American mix doesn't appear to have ever been played. The 7" American Edit was played two or three times while the song was climbing, and an extended version of the American side (probably the longer American Edit version on the 12") was played during its second week at number one. The standard Canadian Version was played all other weeks. Now, it's certainly possible that a local station could edit in a different mix if they so chose (since the song's open and close precluded any talkover by Casey), so perhaps that's why some listeners have different memories of what they heard.

Edited by mstgator on 30 September 2009 at 6:19pm
Back to Top View mstgator's Profile Search for other posts by mstgator

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 September 2009 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It could also be that my memory is just not so good on this one. When I heard the import 45, though, I immediately thought "Aha! THIS is the version I remember hearing many times on the radio." Whether it was played on AT40 or not, I'm not sure. Perhaps I recall hearing that extended version when it was a #1 hit, and I associated it with the import version.

maciav
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 October 2009 at 5:48am | IP Logged Quote maciav

Aaron,
Thanks for the info! I have been wondering about this for a long time! Obviously, I am still confused about this because I thought for sure this is the version I remember on AT40. Following up on that.....

Mstgator,
If you listen to the AT40 show from 3/29/86 when this song moved into #1, isn't the version that was played the version that Aaron is talking about? I thought it was. If not, is there a CD that has the remix you are talking about? And if you ever want to talk about the old AT40 shows, please let me know. I like listening to the old shows too!

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version