Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: TM Studios Song Search Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 31 March 2021 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Q-Sound is a mixing process that's supposed to give the song a "3-D" sound. Madonna used it on the Immaculate Collection, and there were a few other releases around the same time that experimented with it. I've never known Q-Sound to have anything to do with noise reduction, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 March 2021 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Oh, also, to clarify, the old "red font" GoldDiscs most definitely had noise reduction applied. It wasn't No Noise, and I don't know for sure what system it was. It definitely was a cruder sounding NR than No Noise. Perhaps it was also a Sonic Solutions process that preceded No Noise.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 31 March 2021 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Aaron is completely correct regarding Q-Sound and the Century 21 GoldDiscs (at least I think they were known as Century 21 before TM Century?)

Q-Sound was a mixing technique that didn't just pan sounds left/right, but imparted a small phase shift between left and right channels. The phase shift was intended to mimic the times at which sounds would arrive at your ears, so that the delays could (in principle) make sounds appear to come from anywhere in the soundstage. Madonna's "The Immaculate Collection" was by far the biggest-selling release in Q-Sound. I think Sting's "The Soul Cages" was also in Q-Sound; there are others from that time frame. It didn't last very long.

It was a neat idea back then. Modern sound designers for videogames and VR systems use phase delay and EQ techniques that vastly expand on the ideas first introduced by Q-Sound.

As I understood it, Q-Sound really screwed up some of the compressor/limiter processing for FM broadcast. I don't remember the specifics, though.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 March 2021 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Hykker wrote:

The JRN Chartbreakers discs also had custom "extra
clean" versions, and not strictly rap songs...there
was one for Zac Brown Band's "Toes". The regular
radio edit ducks the word "ass" but leaves in the line
"roll a big fat one", the JRN version substitutes
"toes" for "ass", and the other line is ducked or
edited.

My copy of Toes from PrimeCuts is labeled the 'Rick
Conner Toes In The Sand Edit.' Not sure if that is a TM
edit or official edit. As I said, their edits were
labeled Xtra Clean. Promo Only, who I subscribe to now,
has what they call PO Clean Edits. The PO standing for
Promo Only, of course.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 March 2021 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

I went and looked at one of my Top Hits USA discs and noted that I was misreading the whole thing.

The disc I found was T376 April 18, 1997 and it is labeled "Ultrasonic - Q tm" Radio Disc.
That must be where I was getting the idea of Q-Sound. Somehow, I started thinking this was a process used in TM Century's discs.
I have absolutely no idea what Ultrasonic - Q is or means.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 March 2021 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

A-ha! I can answer this.

All of Top Hits USA's tracks have a cue tone at 20 kHz in one of the channels at the very end of the song. The cue tone can trigger the next song in an automated system. It's above human hearing, and well above the frequency cutoff for FM broadcasting.

It's an ultrasonic (i.e. above human hearing) cue (Q) tone, which is likely protected by a trademarked (TM) brand name ("Ultrasonic - Q", perhaps).

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 April 2021 at 2:58am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

I was not a fan of the whole "Q-Sound" thing. The local oldies station plays the "Q" version of "Material Girl" by
Madonna and it never sounds right to me.

Edited by Paul Haney on 01 April 2021 at 2:58am
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 April 2021 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Paul - I think "Material Girl" sounds off because it's a different mix than the hit mix. All the hits on The Immaculate Collection were remixed from scratch. The new mixes do sound crisp and lively, but they aren't the hit mixes. Unfortunately, those are the versions that live on in much of the radio world.

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 April 2021 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

I'll admit I helped contribute to this thread running O/T. I ask forgiveness.

I noted in another thread that asked how do we listen to our collections, this comes to mind. Like so many others have posted about Madonna and "The Immaculate Collection",
I picked up early-on that the mixes sounded quite different than original "Hit" versions. I actually don't mind either being played as they are pretty easy to distinguish
from each other. I didn't know anything about the Q-Sound approach until now though.

With that said, I can't think of many times when I actually decided to actively intend to listen to any of Madonna's catalog. Her style in the 80s was good enough to gain
her the stardom she earned. As my wife puts it, "She's a good businesswoman." I would also say the same for another superstar of pop, Michael Jackson. I think there's a big
difference in how these two were marketed though. It seemed like every time I turned around, there was another new remix on Madonna, or another MJ greatest hits. Ugh!

Eventually, there may be a way to look up and easily play a lot of the remixes that mattered most. Sort of like youtube does. I have to admit that I do like this approach,
rather than buying endless CDs, hoping for the "Right" mix.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version