Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Def Leppard- Armageddon It Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 September 2019 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Apparently I was not aware of a 4:12 version of this song that appeared on the 30th anniversary 5 CD set plus 2 DVD box set Mercury 5756093. Pat you have it listed as a radio edit, but the only radio edit I know of is 4:40 for this song. Is the 4:15 a legit short edit or is the 4:40 the definitive edit here and the 4:15 should be labeled "not 45 or radio edit"?
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 September 2019 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Here is all I can contribute to the subject of an edited version of Armageddon It. This song appears on disc 2 of the Def Leppard box set referenced above and does indeed run (4:12) and is called "radio edit" in the liner notes as well as on the cd jacket. It is truly an edit and not an early fade of this song but I do not own the (4:38) version of this song so I cannot verify if it is an early fade of the (4:38) version or not. If anyone has the (4:38) version could you pass along the name of the edit? As far as I am concerned if the record company wants to call the (4:12) version a radio edit then that is what I will enter in the database.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 September 2019 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat, I can say for certain that the 4:38 version on the US promo 45 is only an early fade. I listened to the "Radio Edit" on Spotify a little bit ago, and you are correct that it's an edit (not an early fade). I suppose it's possible that yet another promo 45 exists with the wrong printed time. Could it also be one of the versions on the UK promo 45s?

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 April 2020 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Confirming that the short version is a UK Radio Edit. I recreated it myself a while before the 'Hysteria' super deluxe editions came out:

Discogs listing for UK Promo 45
YouTube video of UK Promo 45
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 May 2020 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

Was there more than one promo 45 in the US for this song? The only promo listing on Discogs in the US shows a promo with the 5:21 version on both sides.

Armageddon It

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 May 2020 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, there is another US promo with the early-faded 4:38 version on it. I'll try to remember to dig it up and list the details on Discogs.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 September 2020 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

aaronk wrote:
Yes, there is another US promo with the early-faded 4:38 version on it. I'll try to remember to dig it up and list the details on Discogs.

Did you ever dig it up? Would like to know the details. Thanks in advance.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 September 2020 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Just did. The printed time is 5:21, but the actual run time is 4:38. It's an early fade of the LP version and not the edit that appears on the 30th Anniversary set.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 September 2020 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

aaronk wrote:
Just did. The printed time is 5:21, but the actual run time is 4:38. It's an early fade of the LP version and not the edit that appears on the 30th Anniversary set.

What's the 45 promo label number I meant...

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 September 2020 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

PopArchivist wrote:
aaronk wrote:

What's the 45 promo label number I meant...

https://www.discogs.com/Def-Leppard-Armageddon-It/release/72 61411

It says in the notes on Discogs, as Aaron said in his post, that the listed time is 5:21 but the actual run time is 4:38.

Edited by Brian W. on 21 September 2020 at 3:29pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2021 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

I haven't found a pre-2017 instance of the UK short version/edit as discussed earlier in the thread being pressed on CD. If you want to create that edit with better/less aggressive EQ, it's a pretty easy three-
snips-and-a-fade
from the original album version. I would use either the original Hysteria CD or at least something no later than 1995's Vault greatest hits collection as my source to get started.
I did use the 1987 CD pressing of Hysteria for the edit described below:

1. The first edit is 8.016 seconds, cutting from 1:42.264 to 1:50.280 of the album version. This effectively cuts the second half of the post-chorus vamping between the 1st chorus and 2nd verse of the LP
Version.
2. From the remaining file, cut 16.023 seconds from 2:00.031 to 2:16.054. (The left edit point will be right on the drum beat concurrent with Joe's "You got it!" vocal, and the right edit point will be right
on a guitar chord concurrent with Joe's "You know you..." This edits out the 2nd half of the actual verse, but leaves the pre-chorus afterward. NOTE: I'm not actually wild about their choice of
editing points here, and think it sounds better to move both edit points about one half second to the left, each, so that both your edit points are on a guitar chord. It's smoother that way and less "jumpy"
sounding. Nevertheless! the instructions described here are for remaking the edit as on the UK 45, exactly. So use your own judgment there.
3. From the remaining file, cut from about 4:12.296 to the end of the file, and apply a bell curve fade starting at around 3:56.113.

Your file should run about 4:13. I added about 2 secs of silence on the end of my file to give it some space.

Edited by EternalStatic on 14 August 2021 at 7:23am
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version