Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Atlanta Rhythm Section The Polydor Years Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 July 2019 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Just got the new Atlanta Rhythm Section box set titled "The Polydor Years" and have a a number of questions I would like to pose.

So Into You -- the box set has 3 entries for this song a) the LP version, b) the mono edit, c) the single version. I was not aware that there was a 45 version as the database currently states 45 length so can anyone point out why this song is not simply a fade of the LP version? Since this 45 version is in mono on the box set what is the difference between the mono edit and the 45 version?

Imaginary Lover -- the box set again has 3 entries for this song a) the LP version, b)the mono edit, c) the single version. Again I was not aware of a single version as I think the single is just an early fade of the LP so can anyone point out why this song qualifies as a 45 version? And the mono edit appears to be the same as the mono 45 so how are they different?

I'm Not Going To Let It Bother Me Tonight -- the box set again has 3 entries for this song a) the LP version, b) the mono edit, c) the single version. All 3 of these run (4:06) and in the database the actual 45 run time is (3:40) and is an edit of the LP version. So I have the same questions as for the other two songs. How does the single version differ from the LP version on this box set and since the 45 was in stereo why did they include a mono edit when there was never a mono LP or 45?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 5:24am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Pat:
Check the two edits of "I'm Not Going To Let It Bother Me Tonight" and you will see they do run (3:40). I believe some if not all of the promo 45s for the three songs you mention had mono and stereo sides. When these were included in the box set they must have labeled the mono versions as mono edits. The stereo sides of the promo edits are labeled as single versions (whether they are actually early fades or edits). There are many commercial 45s from this era where the label stated "edit" but in reality they are just early fades of the longer LP version. I'm willing to bet the box set labeled these just as they appeared on the 45s issued back then.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Hmmm maybe there are two pressings of this box set as my times on I'm Not Going To Let It Bother Me Tonight" run (4:06). What about the other two songs I mentioned are they really a version or a length?

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

The two single edits of “I’m Not Gonna Let It Bother Me Tonight” run
(3:40) on my box set, but what I have is an EU pressing.

The “single edits” of “So In To You” and “Imaginary Lover” are what we
would call “single lengths”.

For some reason, my box set does not include “Doraville” in its true 45
form, as the only “single version” it contains is mono.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I believe mine is also an EU pressing on the Caroline label which I assumed would be picked up as is for US distribution but perhaps not.

Edited by Pat Downey on 11 July 2019 at 1:39pm

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Just to confuse matters further, as Santi wrote he expected a mono and stereo version of the single edit as the box states but looking carefully at my notes for So Into You the box states "mono edit" and "single edit" BOTH of which are mono. Exactly the same story for "Imaginary Lover" so that seems very strange.

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

My box is also an EU pressing on the Caroline label. So the stereo edits/lengths are actually mono? I need to listen closely to them, but if they are then they really dropped the ball as both "Imaginary Lover" and "So Into You" already appear on CD in stereo.

Paul:
The 45 version of "Doraville" already appears in stereo on another CD so I'm not upset.

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

On my copy, the "single edits" that are supposed to be stereo are definitely stereo. The paragraph to the right of the barcode on the lower flap of the cover of the box gives an address in The Netherlands and says "Made in EU".
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I have it all straightened out now and the results will be posted shortly in the database.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version