Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Peter Gabriel "In Your Eyes" & Wham Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 January 2005 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Is anyone an expert on "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel? I have the LP Version (5:23) and a different mix (pulled from a TM Century Gold Disc) that runs 4:58. This "remix" sounds just like the 12" single that I have, but it's edited in length. Would this be a DJ only edit of the original 45? Pat's 8th Edition of Top 40 Music On CD indicates that DJ copies ran 4:36 and 6:15, but the 4:36 may have been a misprint on the label, or I may have an entirely different edit altogether.

Also, the 8th Edition doesn't specify anything about Wham's "Freedom," except that it's on "Make It Big" (which is the LP Version of course). But I also have a mix (pulled from an old "Now" compilation from the UK) that has some synthesizer "horns" at the end of the song; it runs 5:18, and I believe this is the 45 version. Anyone know? I compared this version to the "Long Mix" on my 12" single, which runs 6:16 according to the label, and they are very close but the 5:18 version does not appear to just be an edit of the "Long Mix" (different drum intro). I also have an import CD of Wham extended mixes (Epic 450125-Australian import), and it has the "Long Mix" with a run time of 7:06, but this sounds like an extended version of the LP Version (no "horns" at the end). Can anyone shed some light on this subject?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 January 2005 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yes, the 5:18 version with the synthesizer horns and the George Michael ad libs towards the end is the US 45 version. It's also on the Wham import comp, "The Final."

In addition, the 45 version of "Everything She Wants," which is the short remix with only the first half of the vocal bridge from the extended version, is available on the UK CD single of "Last Christmas," which has:

1. Last Christmas
2. Last Christmas (Pudding Mix)
3. Everything She Wants

"The Final" also has the 45 version of "I'm Your Man."

Now... I'm not sure where to find the full-length version of "Edge of Heaven." The "Music from the Edge of Heaven" CD cuts the last couple seconds of the studio chatter at the end. The import "The Final" did include the full version on the original pressing I had back in the late '80s, but that got scratched and I replaced it, and the second one I got also faded out the chatter! I'm sure the full version is available on some CD or other, but I don't know which one.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 July 2005 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I finally got my hands on the DJ 45 of "In Your Eyes" and the label incorrectly lists (4:36) as the run time. The actual run time is (4:58) like on the TM Century disc I mentioned above.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Paul Esch
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2005 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Esch

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your inquiry. "In Your Eyes"
was originally released as a 45 (Geffen 28622) in 1986. The A-side
is a remix, listed as 6:15 and timed at 6:12. The B-side is a Special
Mix (which is more like a dub version of the song), listed as 7:14 and
timed at 7:10. In 1989, the song was re-released as a 45 (WTG
68936) to coincide with being featured on the soundtrack for the
film Say Anything. The B-side was a song by Fishbone,
"Skankin' To The Beat." I don't have this particular 45, but Joel
Whitburn lists the time as 4:53. Interestingly, the soundtrack CD
(which I also don't have) lists the time for "In Your Eyes" as 5:23, the
same as the original LP version from So. I hope this helps.
Back to Top View Paul Esch's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Esch

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 September 2005 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for the info, Paul. I'm guessing that the (4:53) run time is probably the same as the (4:58) one that I have, but faded a little early (or incorrectly timed). Does anyone know which version is featured on the Say Anything soundtrack? I've also seen the time listed as (5:23), which leads me to believe it's the LP version. The (4:58) mix has the alternate vocals toward the end:

"Accepting all I’ve done and said
I want to stand and stare again
Til there’s nothing left out, oh
It remains there in your eyes
Whatever comes and goes
Oh it’s in your eyes"

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 October 2005 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

I have the WTG Promo CD for radio stations. Says 4:53 on it but it runs 4:58 so that one is mis-timed. It has the alternate vocal at the end.

I think I originally gave Pat the info on the 4:36 DJ copy as I have it. I just gave him the label time. I should have timed. So there is not 4:36 length, that's a label error too.

Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 October 2005 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote Fetta

In addition to the alternate vocal at the end(which I think is the much better version), the intro is cut from the LP version as well.
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 October 2005 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Fetta, I think you mean the intro of the (4:58) version is half the length of the intro of the LP version. That's true. The (4:58) version can actually be created by editing the (6:15) 45 version. It takes five or six edits and early fade.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2006 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

so........CAN the 45 version be extracted from any version available on cd???

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 May 2006 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Not that I know of. It's a different mix than the LP.

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote Fetta

The ending on the 45 is also completely different with the line "accepting all I have said and done, I want to stop and stare again, in your eyes".

The only way that I know this ending exists is the 45 (and I do beleive there are 2 different 45's but only one has this mix) and the promo cd single which I bought on ebay.

This mix I think is far superior than the LP.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

fetta........does the promo cd single you have contain the 6:15 remix version??

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

I need to pull it out, but I think it only had 1 track and it had only the shorter mix.

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

Brian W. wrote:

Now... I'm not sure where to find the full-length version of "Edge of Heaven." The "Music from the Edge of Heaven" CD cuts the last couple seconds of the studio chatter at the end. The import "The Final" did include the full version on the original pressing I had back in the late '80s, but that got scratched and I replaced it, and the second one I got also faded out the chatter! I'm sure the full version is available on some CD or other, but I don't know which one.

Brian, I don't think the full version of "The Edge Of Heaven" has been released anywhere on CD to my knowledge. Only the 45(both US and the 7" & 12" import versions)I know for sure did have the chatter at the end. The Best Of Wham compilation uses the one with the earlier fade at the end. Maybe "The Final" CD has the full length version that appeared on the 45 and the 7" and 12" import EP's.

Edited by Jeff H. on 17 May 2006 at 9:45pm
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 April 2007 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

This thread has been quite helpful for me trying to decipher where the various "In Your Eyes" versions have appeared.

I have the 4:58 promo version on The "A" List, which is similar to the TM Century collections. I was listening to the fade-out extra loud to see if it was taken from vinyl, and I noticed that the very end of the fade-out actually skips three times, about 1/4-second each, then cuts abruptly to silence. You can hear it if you boost the levels by about 60 dB (yes, 60 dB - you really can't hear it at all in normal listening conditions).

My question for someone with the TM discs - does your version of the 4:58 promo edit end this way?
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 May 2007 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

still not clear on whether this was released domestically, but the compilation
disc "Twenty-Five" by George Michael has the 5:20 version of Wham's
"freedom" on it.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 May 2007 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

crapfromthepast wrote:
My question for someone with the TM discs - does your version of the 4:58 promo edit end this way?

No, it does not. I'm sure that theirs is not a vinyl transfer. To confirm it, I have seen a listing for a promo CD of "In Your Eyes," which was re-released for the Say Anything movie. That promo CD has the 4:58 DJ edit on it. The unedited single remix still has not surfaced on CD, to my knowledge.

Edited by aaronk on 01 May 2007 at 3:31pm

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 May 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

more about the Wham issue. As aaronk mentioned above, the 5:18 version
of Freedom with the horns and added vocal ad-libs on the fade out is very
similar to the US 12" version that runs 6:18. In fact, the only difference is
that the 12" version has a minute of intro that ends almost cold, at which
point it kicks into the 5:18 version . So the 12" version is simply the 5:18
remix version with 1 minute intro tacked onto it. And I agree that the "Long
Mix" on the Wham Extended Mixes CD is basically an extended version of
the LP mix.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2008 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Presently, the database states the following comment for Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes":

(dj copies of this 45 stated (4:36) but actually ran (4:58), and (6:15) but actually ran (6:11); commercial copies were all (6:11))

Pat, you might want to revise the last part to indicate that commercial copies run (6:11), not (6:15) as stated on the record label.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 September 2008 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I don't have the 7" but I do own the 12" (also containing the single version), and it runs (6:16). The fadeout is very low at the end, so you have to crank the volume up loud to hear it. It's possible, of course, that the 12" could run a few seconds longer.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version