Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Time-Life’s Superhits and AM Gold 1971 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 16 January 2019 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The Time-Life compilation Superhits Vol. 10 1971 (1991) was later repackaged as AM Gold Vol. 6 1971 (1991). The disc contents are identical in every way, but the packaging and liner notes are different. There was later a reissue of AM Gold Vol. 6 1971 with a "RE-1" in the matrix number. The reissue swapped out two songs, and used identical digital clones for the remaining tracks.

Unfortunately, due to a mastering error, the left and right channels are swapped on all 22 tracks on Superhits Vol. 10 1971 and the original (non-RE-1) release of AM Gold Vol. 6 1971. The left/right channel swaps have propagated into downstream masterings, annoying purists like me. The source of all these left/right problems is Superhits Vol. 10 1971 and AM Gold Vol. 6 1971. Avoid Superhits Vol. 10 1971 (1991) and AM Gold Vol. 6 1971 (1991), if you can.

I've listed all the downstream discs that I have; there may be more.

1. SHE'S A LADY - Tom Jones
  • I don't know the source of the mastering for Superhits/AM Gold, but the left and right channels are swapped compared to The Complete Tom Jones (1992), Rhino's Billboard Top Soft Rock Hits 1971 (1997), and Rhino's Behind Closed Doors '70s Swingers (1997). Superhits/AM Gold also fades a few second sooner than those other discs.
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Seventies Music Explosion Vol. 2 Escape (2005) is digitally exactly 0.4 dB louder than Superhits/AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
2. KNOCK THREE TIMES - Tony Orlando And Dawn
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Billboard Top R&R Hits 1971 (1989), which has correct left and right channels
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 16 1969-1972 (2001) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Seventies Music Explosion Vol. 3 Miracles (2005) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
3. DRAGGIN' THE LINE - Tommy James
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Billboard Top R&R Hits 1971 (1989), which has correct left and right channels
4. SUNSHINE - Jonathan Edwards
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 7 (1990), which has correct left and right channels
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Seventies Party Mix (1996) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 2 1970-1971 (2000) is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Seventies Music Explosion Vol. 1 Sunshine (2005) is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Reader's Digest's 4-CD Time In A Bottle (2006) is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
5. THAT'S THE WAY I'VE ALWAYS HEARD IT SHOULD BE - Carly Simon
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Time-Life's 4-CD Great Love Songs Of The 70's And 80's Vol. 3 Missing You (1991), which has correct left and right channels
  • JCI's Only Love 1970-1974 (1995) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Seventies Feelings (1995) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 2 1970-1971 (2000) is digitally identical to Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
6. SWEET CITY WOMAN - Stampeders (only on Superhits and original pressings of AM Gold)
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 6 (1990), which has correct left and right channels
6. BRAND NEW KEY - Melanie (only on RE-1 rerelease of AM Gold)
  • Has the correct left/right channels; no left/right reversal on this track on the RE-1 rerelease; the 20 tracks on the RE-1 rerelease held over from Superhits do have their left and right channels swapped
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 7 (1990)
7. SIGNS - Five Man Electrical Band
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 6 (1990), which has correct left and right channels (even though the song is in mono - there are still artifacts so you can tell the channels apart)
8. DON'T PULL YOUR LOVE - Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 5 (1990), which has correct left and right channels
  • JCI's Only Dance 1970-1974 (1996) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Madacy's Rock On 1971 (1996) is digitally exactly 0.9 dB louder than Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 9 Early '70s (2000) is digitally identical to Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's Ultimate Love Songs Collection Almost Paradise (2004) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Seventies Music Explosion Vol. 2 Escape (2005) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Classic Soft Rock Vol. 10 Heat Of The Moment (2007) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
9. NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE - Jackson 5
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Billboard Top R&B Hits 1971 (1990), which has correct left and right channels
10. JUST MY IMAGINATION (RUNNING AWAY WITH ME) - Temptations
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Billboard Top R&B Hits 1971 (1990), which has correct left and right channels, but fades a tiny bit sooner
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 16 1969-1972 (2001) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
11. HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART - Bee Gees (only on Superhits and original pressings of AM Gold)
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 2 1971 (1989), which has correct left and right channels
11. MR. BOJANGLES - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (only on RE-1 rerelease of AM Gold)
  • Has the correct left/right channels; no left/right reversal on this track on the RE-1 rerelease; the 20 tracks on the RE-1 rerelease held over from Superhits do have their left and right channels swapped
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 4 (1990)
12. WANT ADS - Honey Cone
  • I think the mastering on Superhits/AM Gold uses the same analog transfer as Essex's The Buddah Box, but I can't confirm
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD 40 Summer Fun Hits (1993) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Seventies Music Explosion Vol. 1 Sunshine (2005) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
13. AN OLD FASHIONED LOVE SONG - Three Dog Night
  • Uses the same analog transfer as MCA's Three Dog Night Best Of (copyright 1982), which has correct left and right channels
14. ONE TOKE OVER THE LINE - Brewer And Shipley
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 4 (1990), which has correct left and right channels
  • Madacy's Rock On 1971 (1996) is digitally exactly 0.1 dB quieter than Superhits/AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 11 1970-1974 (2001) is digitally exactly 1 dB quieter than Superhits/AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Seventies Music Explosion One-Hit Wonders (2005) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
15. THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN - Joan Baez
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 12 1971 Take Two (1990), which has correct left and right channels
  • Reader's Digest's 4-CD American Pie (1998) is digitally exactly 1 dB quieter than Superhits/AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 2 1970-1971 (2000) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
16. PUT YOUR HAND IN THE HAND - Ocean
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 4 (1990), which has correct left and right channels
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Seventies Music Explosion One-Hit Wonders (2005) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
17. INDIAN RESERVATION (THE LAMENT OF THE CHEROKEE RESERVATION INDIAN) - Raiders
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 5 (1990), which has correct left and right channels
18. TEMPTATION EYES - Grass Roots
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Grass Roots Anthology 1965-1975 (1991), which has correct left and right channels
  • Priority's I Love Rock And Roll Vol. 3 Hits Of The 70's (1996) is digitally exactly 1.67 dB quieter than Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
19. SPANISH HARLEM - Areha Franklin
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Billboard Top R&B Hits 1971 (1990), which has correct left and right channels
20. BABY I'M A WANT YOU - Bread
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Elektra's Anthology Of Bread (1985), which has correct left and right channels
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 9 Early '70s (2000) is digitally identical to Superhits/AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Classic Soft Rock Vol. 2 Ride Like The Wind (2006) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
21. IF I WERE YOUR WOMAN - Gladys Knight And The Pips
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Motown's Gladys Knight And The Pips Compact Command Performances 17 Greatest Hits (1984), which has correct left and right channels
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Body And Soul Vol. 3 Sweet Seduction (1998) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
22. HAVE YOU SEEN HER - Chi-Lites
  • JCI's Only Soul 1970-1974 (1996) has mastering based on Superhits/AM Gold, and therefore has its left and right channels swapped, and additionally fades a tiny bit sooner

• __________________
    There's a lot of crap on the radio, but there's only one Crap From The Past.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

whyaduck
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 January 2019 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote whyaduck

Great research Ron! (as always :) )

If you ever decide to compile a book [print or digital] you have a purchase from me.

Edited by whyaduck on 21 January 2019 at 2:25pm
Back to Top View whyaduck's Profile Search for other posts by whyaduck

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 January 2019 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Thanks!

For the most part, I publish just about all of my findings here on the forum. We want this forum to be active and well-supported, so if anything, I'd advise becoming a paying member here.

C J Brown
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 January 2019 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote C J Brown

I am confused. I seem to think that all three of the Super hits and AM Gold 1971 titles mentioned at the start have incorrect versions. And I seem to think that many downstream discs continue the bad mixes. But what one T/L CD has all the correct mixes as listed?
Back to Top View C J Brown's Profile Search for other posts by C J Brown

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 January 2019 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

What single CD has all the proper left/right channels for all 22 songs listed above?

None.

You'll have to hunt down multiple discs to get the proper left/right channels for the 22 songs.

Or, if you have Superhits or AM Gold, you could manually swap the left/right channels in an audio editor. The sound quality is generally quite good on Superhits/AM Gold, but the fade is often about a second or two shorter than the source discs for the mastering (listed above), and, of course, the left and right channels are reversed.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 21 January 2019 at 9:52pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version