Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: 5th Dimension - Aquarius / Sunshine Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 December 2018 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The #1 song of 1969, "Medley: Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In (The Flesh Failures)" by The 5th Dimension has a few different configurations on promo 45s. I'll try to sort them all out here rather than adding to the catch-all 5th Dimension thread.

Short/Long
This one has a listed MONO "Short Version" (3:50) with deadwax SCR-772-A (2) and STEREO "Long Version" (4:49) with deadwax SCR-772-A-1-S (2). The short version runs an actual 3:51 and has only one edit and an early fade. After listening to this song four times in a row, I decided to skip timing the long version.

2:59 RE-1
This promo does not state mono or stereo, but it plays an actual 3:00 mono version on both sides. This one has three edits and an early fade. The label and deadwax both state SCR-772-A-2-RE-1.

Gold Vinyl
The last promo I have is pressed on gold vinyl and says that it contains a 3:50 mono/stereo configuration. The mono side plays the same 3:00 edit as the RE-1 promo above, but there is no mention of "RE" anywhere on this promo. Instead, the deadwax reads SCR-772-A-2 MONO.

The stereo side plays an actual 3:06 and has deadwax SCR-772-A-2-S. While this has the edit points in the same place as the mono side, it is a newly created stereo edit that has a slightly longer fade than the mono. My hunch is that the mono edit was created first for the earlier promo, and then it was decided to create a stereo edit to match and issue this gold vinyl promo 45.

Finally, the mono versions on all of these promos and the stock 45 are all fold-downs of the stereo mix.

To conclude, I cannot find evidence that there was an officially released 3:50 stereo edit in 1969. In Pat's database, two CDs contain a 3:50 stereo edit, but I have to believe that these were either created specifically for those discs or were unreleased edits found in the vaults.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

aaronk wrote:
To conclude, I cannot find evidence that there was an officially released 3:50 stereo edit in 1969. In Pat's database, two CDs contain a 3:50 stereo edit, but I have to believe that these were either created specifically for those discs or were unreleased edits found in the vaults.

There may not have been one in 1969, but this album from 1970 has it.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 December 2018 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Good info! I'd be curious to know if, like the 3:06 stereo edit to match
the mono, it's a newly edited version for that LP or if it's the promo 45
edit that hasn't been folded down.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Archives Guy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2022 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote Archives Guy

Curious. Does anyone have the edit points for the 3:00 radio
promo? Thanks!
Back to Top View Archives Guy's Profile Search for other posts by Archives Guy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version