Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Are You Really Mine - Jimmie Rodgers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 November 2018 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

So after finding everything in mono lossless for the top 10 of 1955, 1956 and 1957 on CD, I finally hit a snag in 1958. Apparently Are You Really Mine by Jimmie Rodgers times in at 2:24 but the database has no exact 45 version for it. I've looked at Tidal, Qobuz and 7 digital and nothing beats the file I have, even if it does not peak over 20.

The peak I have for the file on SPEK is about 18. The stereo versions seem more readily available and run at the correct time and the database only mention of a 45 version on CD is 5 seconds too short.

Also, I read the thread on the board at http://www.top40musiconcd.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6714 &KW=rodgers and was revisiting this in hopes that someone actually discovered where the 45 version is on CD, even if it is an import.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by PopArchivist on 11 November 2018 at 7:42pm
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2018 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

I only have the 45 version running the full 2:24 length on the original Roulette 45. It runs about 2:20 on my copy of the Roulette LP, The Best Of Jimmie Rodgers, which is a pressing from the 1980s or perhaps the late 1970s (definitely from before Roulette was purchased by Rhino). It also runs about 2:20 on the Acrobat release, Complete US & UK Singles As & Bs 1957-62. (Acrobat is one of those European 'public domain' labels which, because they don't license what they release, do not receive tapes from the owners of the masters. You will therefore never find anything on one of these 'public domain' labels from a tape source that has not already been released from a tape source somewhere else.)

My guess is that the 2:20 tape is all that the current owner of the Roulette masters, which is Warner Brothers, has in its physical possession.

If a 2:24 tape still exists, it is likely buried in the vaults of EMI in the UK. In the UK, the Jimmie Rodgers Roulette releases were issued on EMI's Columbia label (which has no affiliation with the North American label of the same name). If a recording was issued by EMI in the UK, chances are good that the tapes are still in its vaults, even if EMI has not held the UK rights for many decades. That is where copies of the long-believed-to-be-lost-forever Tommy James single masters were found.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 November 2018 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Paul C,

I have the 2:24 time on my digital copy and it appears to be the 45 but I'm usually good at telling if its a lossless file or not and I am pretty sure it falls just short of 18 on the spectral analysis.

I am skeptical to buy the one that is 5 seconds short that appears in Pat's database that is on the Reader's Digest Box Set. If anyone here has it and can tell me if the spectral analysis comes back as a good quality file I would want to know before I go get the 45 and just do a direct transfer as a last resort.

If anyone can point me to a good lossless copy of the 2:20 so I can compare it to the 2:24 I have would be appreciated.

Edited by PopArchivist on 14 November 2018 at 9:34pm
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version