Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Poppy Family - That’s Where I Went Wrong Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 August 2018 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Oddly, this song has only been issued on one domestic CD, "A Good Thing Lost", which contains the original Canadian version in
stereo and the American Version in mono. Basically the guitars and other instruments were completely re-done for the American
version. In the U.S. the American version was released in mono on the 45 and in stereo on the "Which Way You Goin' Billy"
album.

So, why was the American version issued in mono on that CD? To me, it sounds like it could be a vinyl dub, but maybe it's just
naturally raspy. it's possible that Terry Jacks couldn't find a stereo master for the American version. Or, he didn't like it.

But I did notice a significant mix difference between the mono 45 and the stereo album. At the end of the song on the mono 45,
after her final "That's Where I Went Wrong" Susan's ahhhhhhhhs are at a good level, just like elsewhere in the song. However,
on the stereo LP mix, you can barely hear her. She IS there, so I don't know if the differences merit a "version" notation, but
it sounds like there is a 45 mix and and LP mix. Also the presentation of the guitars sounds more carefully mixed on the 45
than the LP.

As far as I know, the stereo American LP mix has never made it digital.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Which version is on the stereo side of the
promotional 45? I'd assume it's the same
as the American album mix, but one never
knows.

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Well since I brought this up I figured I'd splurge and get a scratchy promo.

The stereo side of the DJ 45 contains the same mix as the LP. I also noticed that the mono side is
brighter, has louder orchestration at 2:03 and runs slightly faster than the stereo side.

The mono side clocks in at slightly over 2:31, the stereo side just under 2:32. And the LP speed is
actually in the middle. 45 times on the label are 2:32, LP time is printed at 2:31.

Edited by Bill Cahill on 16 August 2018 at 4:25am
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version