Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Clean Bandit - "Rockabye" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 January 2018 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I don't usually find myself having questions about recent top 10 hits, but I found a real oddity with "Rockabye" by Clean Bandit ft. Anne-Marie & Sean Paul. On the TM Century discs, they have:

* the regular/commercial version ft. Anne-Marie & Sean Paul, and ...

* a "no-rap version" (which is actually more like a "less rap" version because it includes Sean Paul rapping and singing - but it has less rap).

Excluding remixes (which are very different sounding), these are the only 2 "released" versions of the main mix I know of (I put 'released' in quotes because the "no rap version" is only available on a TM Century Disc).

However, on this YouTube video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c7PFJHFP_4

... I found a version labeled "Rockabye feat. Anne-Marie Without Sean Paul" which has a 2nd verse (sung by Anne-Marie) found nowhere else that I can tell. It begins with "She found her love way too early" and runs from 1:19 to 1:39, then goes to the more common B-section - "now she's got a baby" (on the commercial versions). Does anyone know of any commercial (or industry) release that has this 2nd verse? It's a really nice verse and I'd like to buy a lossless version - but I can't find this verse anywhere other than this particular YouTube video. I doubt the YouTube poster would admit to where he got this version. Whenever I find rare versions on YT, I ask the poster about where it can be found and they never respond. Maybe that's just been my personal experience, but I get the sense that they probably have an unreleased version and don't want to go into details of how they obtained it.

Anyway- I could be wrong about that, with regard to this version on YouTube. Any info about this version would be very helpful. Thanks.

Edited by EdisonLite on 13 January 2018 at 4:09pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

That's interesting about the "No Rap" version on the TM Century release. They
don't credit Sean Paul at all, so I'm surprised he's still on it.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Gary

[QUOTE=EdisonLite] * a "no-rap version" (which is actually more like a "less rap" version because it includes Sean Paul rapping and singing - but it has less rap).

Yes this version is put out by TM Studios, but it exclusive only on the UK disc that they release to radio stations in Europe.
Back to Top View Gary's Profile Search for other posts by Gary

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Gary, you beat me to the punch. The No Rap edit is only
on a UK release so this may be a UK edit only.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

There might be a little confusion here. TM Studios puts out HitDiscs A, B, C & UK. (A, B & C are based on genre, while UK is all genres, primarily for UK radio - but stations in the US can subscribe to the UK series if they feel it may contain songs good for their playlists.) So TM's "no rap" version, while on the UK version of HitDiscs, is not a non-Sean version, and is missing the Anne-Marie sung 2nd verse. (And yes, it's not on the A disc, so US stations likely never played it.) Still, the "no rap" version on HitDiscs, whether exclusive to the UK or not, is not the version on the YouTube video above, which still brings up the mystery of what UK promo, if any, that may be available on. There are over 100 comments on that YouTube video - I've since looked through most to see if the poster has answered this question for anyone. It's not in the description on top, however. (I just asked the person who put up the post - maybe they'll actually answer!)

Edited by EdisonLite on 13 January 2018 at 11:55pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 1:01am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Could this be a custom TM Studios edit?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 1:12am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

If you're referring to the version on YouTube, I don't think so. It contains a verse not on the commercial release or the "no rap" version on TM.

If you're asking about the TM "no rap" version being custom to TM, it was released the same week as the regular version and contains sections not found in the regular version, which leads me to believe it must have been sent by the record label.

Either way, TM couldn't have custom-made either version because it contains parts they wouldn't have access to from the regular version.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I got this response from the person who posted the video on YouTube (I'd asked if it was available on CD or a website that sells mp3s):

It’s a radio version, if people don’t like Sean Paul. I’m not sure if it’s on CD’s or something, but I’ll let you know if I find out. ;)

- it sounds to me that this person probably got it off another website and doesn't know where you can get it.

The mystery continues on as to where this comes from.

Edited by EdisonLite on 30 June 2018 at 2:49am

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 June 2018 at 3:00am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

OK, I have my theory about what went on here with "Rockabye". The truly no-rap, no-Sean Paul version on YouTube has a unique 2nd verse sung by Anne-Marie (and unique piece of intro) that you just can't find anywhere else. The person who posted it on YouTube doesn't know exactly where it came from (or wouldn't admit it) but it probably didn't come off a CD they had or they'd likely just say. Months of online searching for UK various artist CDs and a promo CD reveals no version like the YouTube one. In fact, every V.A. UK comp CD lists Sean Paul along with Anne Marie.

Aaron makes an interesting point that the TM Century Disc listed as "no rap" doesn't credit Sean Paul at all, even though he's singing an entire verse and rapping over the intro, etc. That's odd.

I believe the version that was sent to TM Century from the UK label was a mistake (an incorrect version) and that they meant to send the one that this YouTube person posted. I say that because TM Century credits their version as "Rockabye (no rap)" by Clean Bandit ft. Anne Marie. (And they don't credit Sean Paul at all).

That's the exact description as that mystery version on YouTube. Yet, the No Rap version that TM Century has on their UK CD series doesn't list Sean Paul at all, yet he's clearly singing an entire verse and rapping in a few places - not the way you'd credit this version that prominently features Sean Paul.

So my theory is this. Based on the fact that no UK Various Artist Comp has ever included a non-Sean Paul version and no promo CD single has ever showed up once on ebay or elsewhere that contains this version (and apparently a non-Sean Paul version got lots of UK play) - and clearly this YouTube poster couldn't have just added a 2nd verse with Anne Marie singing that's not available anywhere (seemingly), I believe there must be some kind of UK service similar to TM Century HitDiscs that was sent the correct "no rap" version, and someone shared it or someone posted it on YouTube. And I don't believe an actual promo CD single exists for it. (Much of the special versions on TM Century Discs these days don't have promo CD equivalents - because they're sent digitally to TM Century.) And people who have a subscription don't get CDs in the mail anymore. They must download WAVs online.

So my question is - does anyone know of any UK-located services that are the equivalent of TM Century? I'll bet they have it.

The quality of the YouTube truly-no-rap version is actually quite good, but I tested it, and it's lossy. So what I did was take the parts from the lossless TM Century "no-rap" file I have and edit in the parts from the unique YouTube portions so that I'd have the no-rap, no Sean version on YouTube - and about 80% of it is lossless. Which is better than having the YouTube version which, of course, is lossy all the way through.

Edited by EdisonLite on 30 June 2018 at 3:08am

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 July 2018 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

I can say I asked my UK contacts and no one seems to know where this version is available, if at all even as a promo. In my opinion I don't think its better than the Sean Paul version, but I will keep looking for it.

Most recently I was shocked to learn that American Boy had a No Rap Edit and here I thought Kanye West was essential to the song! So I am never shocked when a no rap edit appears on a song that clearly needs the rap...
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 3:20am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Here's an interesting update to this story. I checked YouTube and now there's a video of Anne Marie singing "Rockabye" live on a TV show (without Sean Paul) and she's singing that missing 2nd verse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ7r75sNXKw

The vocal in the 2nd verse is live and a little different from the studio version we've heard, so that previous mystery version with the 2nd verse by Anne Marie could NOT have been taken from this video.

But it's interesting that Anne Marie is performing the song this way. It makes sense since she doesn't have Sean to go on tour with her all over the place.

So, clearly she's performing the song live with that special 2nd verse. But we still don't know where the studio recording comes from or can be gotten from (in CD quality).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version