Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Planet Soul - Set U Free Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 November 2017 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I have a stock CD single for "Set U Free" by Planet Soul (never seen a promo CD, other than a stock with a barcode hole punch), which contains the "Radio Edit" as the lead track running an actual 4:15.

I assume the full-length album Energy And Harmony also uses the Radio Edit, as Pat has it listed without a notation and running 4:14. Nothing much to report there, but...

This song on my CD single has always sounded like a mediocre vinyl transfer. That's because it is! I can clearly hear ticks & pops and vinyl noise, as well as sibilance and distortion in places.

Not only that, but there are absolutely no frequencies above 15kHz on the original "Fever Mix," which is where the Radio Edit is taken from. The "Radio Edit" does show frequencies up to around 21kHz, but this is likely the vinyl distortion and sibilance introduced from the transfer.

[I re-created the Radio Edit using the Fever Mix, which is tricky and also requires a tiny segment of the Planet V Mix for the ending. It's not a sonic miracle, but at least the vinyl noise is gone on my copy.]

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

My copy of the radio edit is from the Mobile Beat Best
Of Dance, released to DJ's in the 90s before the sets
were pulled.

I'm guessing my copy is a vinyl transfer too.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

All copies of the "Radio Edit" would be a vinyl transfer, as that was the source used to make the edit. I'm not sure why they didn't use a tape, but it sounds like the "Fever Mix" was transferred from vinyl to tape and then edited. My best guess as to why: There is a part where an overlap occurs. It may have been easier for the editor to match the beats using records instead of two tapes.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version