Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Take That - Back For Good Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 31 August 2017 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

As there are no promo CD details in the database, here's what I have:

ASCD-2848
1. non-described version (listed & actual 4:00)

ASCD-2881
1. Remix (listed & actual 4:02)
2. Urban Mix (listed & actual 4:02)
3. Album Version (listed & actual 4:00)

It took me a while to find the remix promo, and I just finally obtained a copy a few weeks ago.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 September 2017 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Aaron, do you recall if the remix promo was on the one that aired on radio back then? I didn't even realize there was one. I don't suppose it's on any of their compilations. Is it a radical remix, or just done to do a better mix of mainly what was already there?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 September 2017 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

We played only the album version at the station where I worked, and it wasn't until a few years ago that I even knew a remix CD existed. It's not a radical remix, and it retains many elements of the original. The biggest differences are the drum track and keyboard bass line. There are other small overdubs, too, but it's pretty faithful to the original. My guess is that the remix was aimed at Rhythmic CHR stations who needed it to sound a little more "urban" to fit in with the other songs on their playlists.

The "Urban Mix" is not quite as close to the original. There is yet another new drum track, and most of the instrumentation has been changed on this mix.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 September 2017 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Is there a 45 vs LP difference for this song?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 September 2017 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The US 3-track CD single has a non-described version as the lead track, which is presumably the album version. The US maxi CD single has the "Album Version" as the lead track, and it looks like it also includes the two remixes found on the promo CD.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I found online a Take That "Back For Good" UK CD single (which I have not yet bought) which simply has a version called "radio mix". There's a 30-second sample on iTunes if you google it but I really couldn't tell if it was the main "remix" Aaron describes above. And I'm a little confused by all that, Aaron - from your last post and your first post, it sounds like there are 3 completely different "Back For Good" CD singles that have 3 versions of the song on it:

US 3-track CD single
US Maxi CD single
US Promo CD Single ASCD-2881

They may not all match up in terms of versions but do they all have 3 versions, Aaron?

Also, this thing on the UK CD single called "radio mix" ... I wonder ... since it was released in the US much later than the UK, I wonder if our album version was UK's "radio mix". Does anyone know?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 12:27am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

There are two US stock CD singles:

Arista 12849-2
1. Back For Good
2. Love Ain't Here Anymore
3. Back For Good (Live)

Arista 12880-2
1. Back For Good (Album Version)
2. Love Ain't Here Anymore
3. Back For Good (Remix)
4. Back For Good (Urban Mix)
5. Back For Good (Live)

If you search iTunes, the album Nobody Else has two versions on it, and neither one has a version labeled. Track 13, though, is the Urban Mix. The main "Remix" version is much more faithful to the original.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:46am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks for the info, Aaron. I'll definitely be getting the 2nd CD single you list.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Shortly after Aaron's last post, I bought the "Back For Good" single:

ASCD-2881
1. Remix (listed & actual 4:02)
2. Urban Mix (listed & actual 4:02)
3. Album Version (listed & actual 4:00)

The Remix is quite different from the album version but I quite like it (though I prefer the original more).

That said, there seems to be a version someone shared called "radio mix". I'm not sure if it came from Promo Only, Hit Discs or one of those type things. I listened to it and it sounds the same as the album mix to me. (I thought maybe the background vocals were louder, but I'm not sure and think it's more likely an EQ thing). However, with this mix being labeled "radio mix" and not "remix" like the CD single that Aaron and I have, does anyone know if this apparent "radio mix" is really any different from the album mix? Whoever originally shared it labeled it {Hot Hits Pop Vol. 39} - but that could be their own terminology for CDRs they compile.

Can anyone confirm that there is a "radio mix" different from the others?

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Well, I should clarify that last question. I have a file called "radio mix" which doesn't seem different than the album mix to MY ears. Does anyone who has a track labeled "radio mix" hear any differences?

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

EdisonLite wrote:
Whoever originally shared it
labeled it {Hot Hits
Pop Vol. 39} - but that could be their own terminology
for CDRs they
compile.

That’s a hits compilation series that was licensed to
jukebox operators,
similar to Promo Only for DJs. I can’t speak to this
particular mix but I
think I have another volume that, as far as I recall,
had straightforward
versions - LP versions and radio edits.

**Edit/Addendum: A minute of research determined that
this series targeted DJs as well. I see there's also
a copy of that particular disc available on eBay now.

Edited by eric_a on 08 September 2020 at 8:57pm
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks for the info, Eric!

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

EdisonLite wrote:
The Remix is quite different from the album version but I quite like it (though I prefer the original more).

Yes, when I say "faithful to the original" in my earlier post, what I mean is that it's not a dance/house remix or something really
different, like other "remixes" were at the time. As I mentioned, it does have a different drum track, different bass synth line, and
some other overdubs in places. The vocals, acoustic guitar, main synths, etc., are all carried over from the album mix.

As far as a "Radio Mix" goes, I've never heard anything other than what is on the promo CD singles. Perhaps this is another case where
the UK got a different album version but the US full-length CD uses the radio mix?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Interestingly, I labeled the file in my 1995 folder "Radio Mix" because that's how it was labeled on a radio V/A comp where I took it
from many years ago. (I believe I ripped it from a Broadcast Programming disc--similar to TM Century's HitDiscs.) It sounds like
the album version to me.

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 July 2022 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

aaronk wrote:
Interestingly, I labeled the file in my 1995 folder "Radio Mix" because that's how it was labeled on a radio V/A comp where I took it
from many years ago. (I believe I ripped it from a Broadcast Programming disc--similar to TM Century's HitDiscs.) It sounds like
the album version to me.

The "Radio Mix" from the TM Century GoldDisc sounds to me like it's covered in reverb compared to the album version from the promo CD single, which is dry.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 July 2022 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just put the TM copy ("Radio Mix") and the promo CD single ("Album Version") files in the multi-tracker, and I got them to cancel out in a null test. They are the same mix, but one is a little lower in volume. TM's copy also has a read error (skip) during the first chorus.

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 July 2022 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

aaronk wrote:
I just put the TM copy ("Radio Mix") and the promo CD single ("Album Version") files in the multi-tracker, and I got them to cancel out in a null test. They are
the same mix, but one is a little lower in volume. TM's copy also has a read error (skip) during the first chorus.

The "Radio Mix" I gave a quick listen to is on GoldDisc 963N and was redistributed because the prior copy it replaced in the archive had a read error. Thanks for checking Aaron,
we can finally put this Album Version versus Radio Mix mystery to rest.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 July 2022 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

So, are you saying you have a file with heavy reverb but do not know where it comes from? I can only assume that TM mislabeled their copy, but there might be an actual "Radio Mix" with extra reverb that I've not heard.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version