Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Pop Annual 1955-2016 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 July 2017 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

The brand new edition of the Pop Annual 1955-2016 is now up for pre-order (will be released in late September).

Order before July 31 and save $15 off the regular price!

https://www.recordresearch.com/pop/pop_annual_1955-2016.php

Edited by Paul Haney on 21 July 2017 at 2:25pm
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 July 2017 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

paul, i like the boxes for check marks, like back when i
had baseball cards and they had the same thing...

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Paul, when was the last year that a Pop Annual came out?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Chartman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote Chartman

EdisonLite wrote:
Paul, when was the last year that a Pop Annual came out?

The last Pop Annual was in 2011 - they included the "Bubbling Under" songs for the first time
Back to Top View Chartman's Profile Search for other posts by Chartman

Chartman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote Chartman

Paul Haney wrote:
The brand new edition of the Pop Annual 1955-2016 is now up for pre-order (will be released in late September).

Order before July 31 and save $15 off the regular price!

https://www.recordresearch.com/pop/pop_annual_1955-2016.php

I've been "programmed" to buy updated books as soon as they are available, so my order is already in. You update Pop Singles, R&B Singles, C&W, release new chart books and I buy 'em! Kind of hard to break a 45 year old habit as I bought my first Pop Singles book in 1972 and have bought every new edition since. Still waiting for an update to the Rock tracks and Album charts but it's been since 2008 and 2009 respectively.

Has Joel ever considered having a forum for us chart geeks? Think about the possible topics.

CHART ODDITIES
In the 1/22/44 issue the Best Sellers and Harlem Hit Parade were incorrect. In the 1/29/44 issue Billboard stated the previous weeks charts were incorrect due to a "clerical" error and actually publish the correct chart information. So now "G.I. Jive" by Johnny Mercer only peaked at #4 on the R&B chart and "My Ideal" by Billy Butterfield peaked at #10 on the national Best Sellers list instead of just being a regional hit.
The Rock Tracks chart on 3/24/84 was literally a reprint of the 3/17/84 chart - another "clerical" error. If you take last weeks position from the 3/31/84 chart you can derive 53 out of 60 positions for the prepared but unpublished 3/24/84 chart.
The Bubbling Under chart for 1/12/85 only listed 105-110 out of order but according to your old Bubbling Under book you have positions for 101-104.

MISSING SONGS
"Jingle Bell Imitations" by Chubby Checker & Bobby Rydell is on the 12/25/61 bubbling chart but not in your Pop Singles book.
"A House Is Not A Home" by Dionne Warwick was listed as the top version in the Cashbox R&B charts you used in your R&B book but you credit the Brook Benton version with all of its charted weeks.
"Don't Say Goodbye" by The Diamonds was listed as a b-side on the Disc Jockey charts for one week but not in your books.
Or how about "Too Fat Polka" by Arthur Godfrey was a co-number one on the 1/10/48 Most Played by Jockeys chart but you only give it credit for peaking at #2.

BOOK SUGGESTIONS
Forum members can suggest future books, i.e. a R&B book based on the Music Vendor/Record World charts to complete the "trilogy" of Pop, C&W, and R&B. You could also get feedback from future book buyers about books you are thinking about publishing. I'm sure you published a book that had underwhelming demand.
And maybe offering on-line PDFs of correction/updates for books that you no longer update, i.e. "Pop Hits Singles & Albums 1940-1954".

Think of the possibilities! Anyhow just my long winded two cents worth.

Edited by Chartman on 26 July 2017 at 12:14pm

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Has Joel ever considered having a forum for us chart geeks? Think about the possible topics.

That would be fun, but it ain't gonna happen.

We just don't have the staff or the resources for such a venture. We are stretched super-thin the way it is these days, basically down to two of us at the office, with yours truly juggling several different projects at the moment.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I think plenty of chart geeks are already here or are
aware of Pat's forum.

;)
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

The Pop Annual is currently at the printer and will be here in about two weeks. I recently put together a short video on the next RR project and thought you guys might be interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgOG6mqdqPg

jebsib
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote jebsib

Paul, in a recent Billboard podcast, Joel hinted that he was considering some
major changes to the Country Songs books moving forward.

Because all the flagship genre charts are moving so slowly these days (An
example being that Sam Hunt's song is currently #1 for the 32nd week), Joel was
pondering incorporating airplay chart positions as well.

Wondering if you guys have reached a decision on this, as so many key charts are
affected by the slow turnover (now that they are essentially genre—specific
distillations of the Hot 100).

I for one would be against it, but sadly, I am not a Record Research employee!!
Back to Top View jebsib's Profile Search for other posts by jebsib

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 September 2017 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

jebsib wrote:
Paul, in a recent Billboard podcast, Joel hinted that he was considering some
major changes to the Country Songs books moving forward.

Because all the flagship genre charts are moving so slowly these days (An
example being that Sam Hunt's song is currently #1 for the 32nd week), Joel was
pondering incorporating airplay chart positions as well.

Wondering if you guys have reached a decision on this, as so many key charts are
affected by the slow turnover (now that they are essentially genre—specific
distillations of the Hot 100).

I for one would be against it, but sadly, I am not a Record Research employee!!

We have been discussing this very subject recently. One of the biggest complaints about the previous edition was that we started using the so-called "hybrid" chart and totally dropped the Airplay chart. Looks like we'll be going with the Country Airplay numbers as the "main" numbers, but we will also show the hybrid chart numbers as well (probably off to one side). In the rare case where a title made the hybrid chart, but not the airplay chart, then that number would be shown as the "main" number. Hopefully we will have a new edition ready by mid-2018 or so.

Edited by Paul Haney on 22 September 2017 at 9:06am

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2017 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Paul Haney wrote:
The Pop Annual is currently at the printer and will be here in about two weeks. I recently put together a short video on the next RR project and thought you guys might be interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgOG6mqdqPg

I am getting a "Video unavailable" when I click on this link. Is anyone else getting that?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 4:35am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

EdisonLite wrote:
Paul Haney wrote:

I am getting a "Video unavailable" when I click on this link. Is anyone else getting that?

Gordon, the link is working for me. If you have trouble, just go to YouTube and search for Paul Haney Record Research and it should come up.

Chartman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Chartman

I think the main issue with the "Hot Country Songs" chart (and with other genre-specific charts as well) is that since October 20, 2012 their Airplay component (which is combined with sales, streaming etc. to generate the chart) does not come from the genre-specific Country Airplay chart which measures airplay from COUNTRY stations, but rather the overall airplay chart universe which measures airplay from all formats. This means that the the Country Songs charts is considerably affected by the major contributors to overall airplay, i.e. the CHR/Top 40 radio stations. (CHR=Contemporary Hit Radio) which is not directly related to country airplay. On the 10/20/2012 Hot Country Songs chart Taylor Swift was the immediate benefactor as her songs zoomed up the charts even though by then she had definitely transformed from a country artist to a pop artist. Country chart followers must have been in shock. But maybe not as much as Rap chart followers when PSY "Gangnam Style" became the #1 song in the land. Talk about a WTF moment!

Consider "Cruise" by Florida-Georgia Line. The song hit #1 and was headed down the country charts until the remix version with Nelly came out. The song returned to #1 for a lengthy stay because the remix version became very popular on non-country radio stations. Their airplay was incorporated into the Hot Country Songs chart even though the country stations airplay was waning. So in the Country universe the song was on a downward trend but on the chart it was #1 for three more months! Interesting on the Hot 100 the song artist was now listed as Florida-Georgia Line featuring Nelly, however the artist was always listed as just Florida-Georgia Line on both the Hot Country Songs and Country Airplay charts. For the record, Nelly never charted on the country charts. Obviously Billboard's methodology is wrong here for genre-specific charts but I think we can pick apart every Billboard chart.

Chartman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote Chartman

Paul Haney wrote:

We have been discussing this very subject recently. One of the biggest complaints about the previous edition was that we started using the so-called "hybrid" chart and totally dropped the Airplay chart. Looks like we'll be going with the Country Airplay numbers as the "main" numbers, but we will also show the hybrid chart numbers as well (probably off to one side). In the rare case where a title made the hybrid chart, but not the airplay chart, then that number would be shown as the "main" number. Hopefully we will have a new edition ready by mid-2018 or so.

I understand the country chart lovers' frustrations but for us chart purists using the Airplay numbers as the "main" numbers is a big fat NOOOOOOOOOOO! The Country Songs chart is what Billboard considers to be their main country chart. To say otherwise is blasphemy. For better or worse (and I agree for worse) you need to reflect what Billboard says and publishes. Over the years Billboard has done incredibly stupid things but you have to go with the source.

I think the best solution is to use the Country Songs chart as the main number and be consistent with all previous years. However, include Airplay chart data since 10/20/12 as a secondary number because that's how Billboard views it. This will be consistent with your role as a chart historian plus adding an additional piece of information to somewhat fix Billboard's poor decision. Otherwise you would be a chart manipulator. Whatever you decide, when you send out your early buyer discount announcement for the updated version, you need to clearly specify how you determined your "main" number and why.   

Chartman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote Chartman

Paul Haney wrote:

This is fabulous!! Quite the undertaking but I will definitely be a buyer. I'm only afraid that Singles Charts 1973-1982, Volume 2 will be delayed (was hoping for 1954-1963, Volume 3) and that the Cash Box Top 100 Charts 50's, 80's & 90's are a pipe dream.

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 3:40am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

The problem with using the Hot Country Songs for the "main" chart numbers is that we have to sell books to stay in business. Our customers gave us an overwhelmingly negative response when we switched to the HCS chart for the last few months of the 2012 edition. Many longtime customers said that they would never purchase another Country book if we didn't go back to using the Airplay numbers. The main problem (as you stated) is that the HCS chart uses airplay numbers from non-Country stations! BTW, I don't see how we're "manipulating" the chart data if we show BOTH sets of numbers. The Billboard Country Airplay chart is still a MAJOR chart and is closely followed by fans and industry types alike. We did not make this decision lightly. I've posted about this on the Pulse boards and the OVERWHELMING response has been positive. In fact, not one person so far has had anything negative to say. Again, we must sell books or else we will cease to exist.

As for the chart books...the Record World Volume II is just about ready to go. We may hold off on this one until sometime next year. We still have our eyes on continuing the Cash Box series as well. The big problem for us is our small staff and cost concerns. These books are VERY EXPENSIVE to print and the e-Books just don't sell enough. All I ask is that you please be patient as we are getting these books out as fast as we can under the circumstances.

Edited by Paul Haney on 10 October 2017 at 3:42am

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

FYI, the Pop Annual came in this past week. All pre-orders have been filled and sent!

jebsib
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote jebsib

VERY happy the Pop Annual is shipping.

VERY unhappy that the official Whitburn Country peaks are now Airplay-only.
(This would be akin to a group of irate readers in 1991 unhappy that the Hot
100 switched to BDS, and demand Record Research only use the Mainstream
Top 40 chart as the official source.)

I do see both sides. And your point about staying in business is VERY well
taken. It's just a shame. HCS was a hybrid chart decades before it become an
airplay only survey in the late 80s.

BTW, Pulse Music fans are radio driven, so they were horrified when HCS
added streams and sales, let alone airplay from other formats. They didn't
understand that the chart went from "The Top songs that Country Radio plays"
to "The Top Songs consumed in the U.S. that are the Country genre".
Back to Top View jebsib's Profile Search for other posts by jebsib

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

I respectfully disagree with the comparison to the Hot 100 change in 1991. The Country Airplay chart WAS the Country chart from January 20, 1990 - October 20, 2012...that's 22 years! All of a sudden you have this completely new chart (which is actually just taken from the Hot 100 stats) as the "official" chart. That was a decision that Billboard made and they kept right on with the Country Airplay chart, which still gets printed in the magazine, although in an abbreviated form. Again, we are not going to totally ignore the numbers of the new chart (that would be wrong), but we are going with what our own customers have told us they want to see. The fact is, that we haven't even started work on the book yet, so this could all change anyway. We are going to reach out to some of our industry contacts and get their input as well. I do appreciate all input and we'll certainly be considering all of this prior to actually getting down to the research part of the project.

Edited by Paul Haney on 10 October 2017 at 2:50pm

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Paul Haney wrote:
These books are VERY EXPENSIVE to print
and the e-Books just don't sell enough.

I'm not surprised, they're almost the same price as the
printed copies. If I'm gonna pay $70 for a book, I might