Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: jesus jones 2 top 40 songs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 April 2006 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the 2 top 40 songs of jesus jones are listed below

1-right here, right now (righteous radio mix) (3:03)
2-real, real, real (original album version)   (3:06)

this data should be reflected in the db

edtop40

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 June 2010 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My TM library has "The Real Pop Mix" version of "Real, Real, Real." Is this just a fancy name for the album version, or was there a unique mix issued to pop radio?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 June 2010 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It appears there were two promo CD singles of "Right Here, Right Now." DPRO-05387 has the same tracks as the commercial CD single (Hit Radio Mix, Righteous Radio Mix, 12" Mix). My guess is that this was the one serviced to CHR, while the one reported in the Single/Album Versions thread (DPRO-05376) was issued to rock radio. The latter does not contain the shorter "Hit Radio Mix" without the guitar solo.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 June 2010 at 12:14am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron, your "Right Here, Right Now" servicing theory appears to be correct, as we only received in the DPRO-05387 promo you cite above. Here is my promo CD single info for "Real, Real, Real".

-Jesus Jones-"Real, Real, Real" (DPRO-05402)
1-The Real Pop Mix (listed & actual 3:06)
2-The Real Hot Crossover Mix (listed 4:19; actual 4:18)
3-The Real Dance Hall Mix (listed & actual 6:16)
4-(group interview)

Aaron, as soon as I can (unless someone else beats me to it), I will rummage through my full CDs, and see if I happen to have a JJ copy filed away. If so, I'll shoot you out the "Real, Real, Real" LP version found on there for your analysis.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 June 2010 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I have this track on seven compilations, none of which are eligible for the database. (!)

All appear to be the LP version running around 3:06, and all run at 110.2 BPM. I never noticed any mix differences at the time, when my ear was well-tuned to the song.

FYI - It's on:
  • UK's Now That's What I Call Music 17 (1990)
  • Hot Hits Pop Vol. 8 (1991)
  • Spotlight On Hits Vol. 2 (1991)
  • Top Hits USA RH10 (1992)
  • Canada's Awesome Hits (1992; PolyTel)
  • Big '90s (1996; Razor & Tie)
  • UK's 8-CD Greatest Hits Of The '90s (2004; Disky)
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 June 2010 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ron, if you'd like to check, I can send you the "Real Pop Mix" to compare with the LP version. That will save Jim from having to dig through his deeply buried full-length albums.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 June 2010 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Thanks to Aaron, I got to listen to the "Real Pop Mix" from the promo CD single, and I can confirm that it matches all the versions I posted above.

My copy of Top Hits RH10 has the notation of "(Pop Mix)" after the title, for what it's worth.

Big '90s is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of the file Aaron sent, and it's probably the best-sounding of the bunch. The main differences among them were EQ; there's a little compression on the Disky CD and on Spotlight, and there's some odd clipping on the bottom half of the waveform on Top Hits RH10.

What I can't confirm is that all these are the true album version. The Canadian PolyTel CDs have a history of using the LP versions, so I'm around 70% sure it's the true LP version. That's about as far as I can take it without the JJ CD...

Edited by crapfromthepast on 09 June 2010 at 6:09pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 June 2010 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To the best of my memory, the "Hit Radio Mix" is an edit of the "Righteous Radio Mix". The LP version is a somewhat different mix of the "Righteous Radio Mix".

What I'm confused about: Is the "Real Pop Mix" the same as the LP version or the "Righteous Radio Mix"??
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 June 2010 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

AndrewChouffi wrote:
To the best of my memory, the "Hit Radio Mix" is an edit of the "Righteous Radio Mix". The LP version is a somewhat different mix of the "Righteous Radio Mix".

What I'm confused about: Is the "Real Pop Mix" the same as the LP version or the "Righteous Radio Mix"??

Sorry, Andy. There are two different songs being discussed, and the "Real Pop Mix" is for "Real, Real, Real." You are correct about the different versions of "Right Here, Right Now."

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 June 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ron, thanks for your info. It's probably pretty safe to conclude that the "Real Pop Mix" is the same as the LP version for "Real, Real, Real."

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 June 2010 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To Aaron,

Thanks for the clarification!!

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Seven years later...

I can confirm that "Real Real Real [The Real Pop Mix]" from track 1 of the promo CD single SBK DPRO-05402 is digitally identical to the LP version on Doubt and Razor & Tie's Big '90s.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 September 2020 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

edtop40 wrote:
the 2 top 40 songs of jesus jones are listed below

1-right here, right now (righteous radio mix) (3:03)
2-real, real, real (original album version)   (3:06)

this data should be reflected in the db

edtop40

In reference to "Right Here, Right Now " Not sure why the 2:33 that is titled hit radio mix, which was also the TM Century version is not the correct "hit version" mix? Usually if TM issued it, isn't that the hit version?

https://www.discogs.com/Jesus-Jones-Right-Here-Right-Now/rel ease/1994598

The only thing I noticed in this thread is that any doubts about the hit version of Real, Real, Real were answered. Ah these numerous 90's versions. I miss the 80's when CD promos were simpler....

Edited by PopArchivist on 17 September 2020 at 11:07pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 September 2020 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Since this thread started years ago, I can report some additional details:

DPRO-05376
1. Righteous Radio Mix (listed 3:03)
2. Album Version (listed 3:06)
3. (a different song called "Move Me")
(I can time these if needed, but I believe the actual times are within a second of the printed times.)

DPRO-05387 (promo) & K2-19734 (retail)
1. Hit Radio Mix (listed 2:30; actual 2:31)
2. Righteous Radio Mix (listed 3:03; actual 3:02)
3. Martyn Phillips 12" Mix (listed 5:48; actual 5:46)

I wasn't working in radio at the time, so I don't know the full release history. It would make sense, though, that perhaps the first promo CD was sent to rock/alternative radio (where it became a #1 song), while the second promo was sent to top 40.

The cassette single has the "Righteous Radio Mix" as the first track, followed by the album version. Since the cassette single was the biggest selling format at retail in 1991, that would make the "Righteous Radio Mix" the official single version. Perhaps, though, the "Hit Radio Mix" is the actual hit version receiving most of the airplay. It's also possible that the "Righteous Radio Mix" received a significant amount of top 40 airplay in 1991, but I can say that my local station played the shorter "Hit Radio Mix."

Here's how to identify the three common mixes:
- Album Version starts with drums for a few seconds. The drums then stop, and the lead guitar starts with a percussive shaker on top.
- Righteous Radio Mix starts with the lead guitar by itself (no shaker). It contains a guitar solo mid-song.
- Hit Radio Mix also starts with the lead guitar by itself, but it removes the guitar solo mid-song.

Edited by aaronk on 18 September 2020 at 9:25am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version