Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Barry White Can’t Get Enough Of Your Love Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 March 2017 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

For the search engine: Barry White - Can't Get Enough Of Your Love Babe

The 45 is a more sparse mix than the LP version. Listen at 0:28 for the spoken line "It's just not enough." In the LP version, there's a background Barry starting to sing "Awww yeah yeah." In the 45 version, there's no background Barry. The instruments in the two mixes are balanced very differently, too, but it's easiest to pinpoint the presence or absence of background vocals at 0:28. I think the LP mix has horns that aren't in the 45 mix, too.

45 version (vinyl 45 runs 3:24)

Razor & Tie's 2-CD Super '70s (1995) fades from 3:06 to 3:21, which runs just short of the 3:24 true 45 length. Unfortunately, the left and right channels are out of sync by about two or three samples, which is pretty bad. It screws up the soundstage, and washes out the high end when summed to mono. Avoid. (This disc was mastered by Steve Hoffman, who has also mastered discs with similar left/right sync errors, like "Jungle Love" on the gold DCC Steve Miller's Greatest Hits 1974-78.)

Mercury's Barry White All-Time Greatest Hits (1994) is the same mix as the 45, has its left and right channels nicely in sync, and sounds quite nice. It also runs much longer than the 45, and fades from 3:25 to 3:52.

Rhino's Billboard Hot Soul Hits 1974 (1995) is also the same mix as the 45, has its left and right channels nicely in sync, and sounds quite nice. It, too, runs longer than the 45, and fades from 3:25 to 3:42. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Rhino's VH1 8-Track Flashback Classic '70s Soul (1998)
LP version (4:28 or 4:29)

Casablanca's Barry White Greatest Hits (copyright 1975) sounds surprisingly good, considering that most single-artist compilations that were assembled in the analog age usually end up using a tape source one generation higher than the first generation. It runs 4:28 here. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Body Talk Vol. 7 Hearts In Motion (1996) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
  • Vol. 6 of Razor & Tie's 6-CD 70 Number One Hits Of The 70s (1998) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Body And Soul Vol. 3 Sweet Seduction (1998) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
Previously unreleased edit of LP version (3:44)

There's an edit that first appeared on Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 15 1974 Take Two (1991). This disc is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of Greatest Hits, but cuts out 2:49.9 to 3:32.5 (snare-to-snare) and keeps the rest of the song, including the fade. This is a very natural-sounding edit, and shortens the song nicely down to 3:44. But this edit didn't exist in 1974. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Time-Life's Solid Gold Soul Vol. 9 1974 (1996) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Make You Sweat (1998)
  • Time-Life's Solid Gold Soul #1 Love Songs Of The '70s (2000) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
Previously unreleased mix! (4:02)

It's on Razor & Tie's 2-CD Sweet '70s Soul (1991), and confused me immensely at first.

It starts with a piano roll, just like "Dancing Queen"! (What???) The end of the piano roll flows immediately into the usual opening notes of the song. I have never, ever heard this intro anywhere.

This version cuts out 2:55.3 to 3:37.7 of the LP version, and extends longer than the LP version.

The song is mixed sorta close to the LP mix, with similar instrumentation and background vocals, but a much different balance. It also includes bongos at the end that I've never heard before.

This mix also turns up on a European 4-CD set called Disco Fever (1993). I don't know what to make of that, unless this was the version that was released in Europe.

My recommendations

For the 45 version, go with Mercury's Barry White All-Time Greatest Hits (1994), and do your own fade. A fade from 3:06 to 3:24 might be a good place to start, but I don't know the true 45 fade points.

For the LP version, go with Casablanca's Barry White Greatest Hits (copyright 1975).

For the previously unreleased 3:44 edit of the LP version, go with Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 15 1974 Take Two (1991).

For the previously unreleased 4:02 mix/version, go with Razor & Tie's 2-CD Sweet '70s Soul (1991).

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 March 2017 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

There was a promo 12" released back in the 70s called "For Disco DJ's Only..Barry White's Greatest Hits." Out of curiosity, does the unreleased mix match the version on this promo 12"? Ron, the intro you described is not part of the 12" but the bongos at the end are on the 12".

"Can't Get Enough of Your Love" begins at the 4:54 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if6TpCnobk8

Some info on the Promo Album from Discogs:
The Promo-only LP which was pressed in conjunction with the 1975 commercial pressing of "Barry White's Greatest Hits. The commercial LP had 10 songs, all short single mixes. This white label disco dj pressing omits "Love Serenade", "I've Found Someone" & "I've Got So Much To Give"; the full length versions of the remaining tracks were re-sequenced and segued together into a continuous mix.
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 March 2017 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Jeff sent me a cleaner dub of the Barry White promo 12", and I can confirm that it's the same mix as the Razor & Tie version.

The 12" version lacks the piano roll, though, and includes the second breakdown that's edited out of the Razor & Tie version.

At least we figured out where the mix came from, if not the exact edit.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version