Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Steely Dan - Time Out Of Mind Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 December 2016 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

Listening to my copy of the Citizen Steely Dan
box set, I noticed a tape dropout on "Time Out Of Mind"
around 1:20. Has anyone else heard this? My copy is a
BMG pressing.

My promo 45 (listed/actual 4:10 on MCA 51082, like all
CD appearances) doesn't have this dropout.

Edited by eric_a on 06 December 2016 at 6:17pm
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 July 2021 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

I hope you didn't mind waiting four and a half years for a reply!

I just listened to my original mp3 ripp of the track which was pulled from my very old copy of Citizen Steely Dan. I don't think it was a BMG pressing.
If by that you mean from a record house like Columbia House or BMG? I'm pretty sure I picked this up at a record store shortly after it was released.

Anyway, the ripp does have the dropout. I'm going to listen to another CD source and post an edit after about it.

Edit:

Yes the dropout appears to be on both copies I have . I was incorrect about my original CD copy though. It WAS a BMG recording, as discovered in the bar-
code on the back of the box. The second box set I purchased because I thought I lost the booklet. It appears to be a non-BMG version.

Edited by AdvprosD on 16 July 2021 at 7:44pm

garye
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 July 2021 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote garye

My copy from the Gaucho MSFL Gold disc does not have the
dropout at 1:20.
Assume the disc was a total remaster of the LP, since
the sound is crisp and full.
Was worth the purchase.
Back to Top View garye's Profile Search for other posts by garye

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2021 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

My copy on Gaucho also has a glitch at 1:47 that also shows
up on Show Biz Kids: The Steely Dan Story.

Does the MSFL track have the glitch at 1:47?

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2021 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

eriejwg wrote:
My copy on Gaucho also has a glitch at 1:47 that also shows
up on Show Biz Kids: The Steely Dan Story.

Does the MSFL track have the glitch at 1:47?

John, Are you saying there is another glitch at 1:47 for "Time Out Of Mind?" Like a dropout? I didn't hear it in the Citizen collection.

Edited by AdvprosD on 19 July 2021 at 8:50pm

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 July 2021 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I compared three different discs with "Time Out Of Mind" - the Citizen box set (1993), the MFSL release of Gaucho, and a standard '80s-era (I think?) release of Gaucho.

All three use the same analog transfer. All three have a slight dip in the high frequencies around 1:20 (for about one beat after the line "world we know"). All three have an edit around 1:47 (on the snare hit as the backup vocalists start the word "time").

The standard (I think) '80s-era release of Gaucho sounds very good. Great dynamic range, nice EQ. I hear no evidence of noise reduction; the EQ remains constant on the fade. The music fades out completely to a slight hum around -60 dB, which is terrific. This is a very nice transfer of the original analog tape from 1980.

The MFSL release of Gaucho sounds basically the same as the standard release, but applies an EQ to reduce the hum by another 20 dB. You'll notice the improvement only if you crank the end of the song up far beyond a normal listening volume. This disc also has no evidence of noise reduction; the EQ remains constant on the fade.

Citizen adds an additional EQ to boost both the high end and the low end, and uses CEDAR noise reduction to reduce artifacts from boosting the high end. The EQ sounds terrific here and really brings out the hi-hat and drums on this song, but the noise reduction causes the high end to disappear on the fade.

Really, all three sound very good. I haven't encountered any Steely Dan CDs that don't sound very good. (I'd love to hear a version with the Citizen EQ but without noise reduction!)

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 July 2021 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

One additional minor note:

I think that one (or two) of these three releases may have recreated the first two seconds of the song.

For the first two seconds of the song, Citizen and the MFSL release of Gaucho stay synched up nicely with each other, but the '80s-era release of Gaucho has drum hits that don't synch with the other two.

From a bass drum hit at the two-second mark, and thereafter, all three stay in synch very nicely. They're not digital clones of one another, but none show any evidence of tape drag or edits or any significant speed variations after the two-second mark.

It's not really significant, just kinda interesting for those who like looking at waveforms.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 July 2021 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

My copy from Gaucho I had in my archives. The copy from
Citizen I bought from Qobuz. I listened with
headphones several times to both and I thought it was a
glitch at 1:47. I could be wrong.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 July 2021 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

My first guess would be that TM Century has a version of Time Out Of Mind in the GoldDisc line. I'll go a'lookin sometime today. I'd be surprised if
they didn't. Also, I'd be surprised if they didn't notice these glitches and try to make some kind of repair to them.

Though I really, really like nearly every single Fagen/Becker album ever made, I'm probably not going to spring for a MFSL copy. I can live with CEDAR.

Thanks Ron for taking a peek at these, and for backing up John's notes. I'll have to listen a little more closely next time.

Edit:

I just picked up two used copies of "The Very Best Of Steely Dan" (Universal 5320451)[2009] and "Showbiz Kids" (MCA 088 112 407-2)[2000]. They appear to be
track-by-track exactly the same, though I have no information about the track lengths or recording processes involved. I'd be guessing here but the copy
produced by Universal is just a redo of the MCA set. Heck, this Universal copy has sloppy info labels as the tracks on each disc are the other discs songs.
Also, interestingly in Windows Media Player, the album art from Showbiz Kids shows, rather than it's own.

Both of these two-disc compilations have the same dropout mentioned before for Time Out Of Mind. At least discs 1 and 2 are labeled properly on Show Biz Kids.

Edited by AdvprosD on 24 July 2021 at 1:25pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version