Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: bt express "give it what you got" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 April 2006 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

to whom it may concern

regarding the 45 issued as roadshow 7003 which contains "peace pipe" as the a-side and "give it what you got" as the b-side.......the entry for the song "give it what you got" in the database needs to be amended.........the 45's face states that the run time is 2:59 and indeed does run that length and is just an early fade of the version from the cd "soul hits of the 70's" that runs 3:29..........notes on all entries should read lp length or other........and a note should be made in the title line.........

edtop40

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 April 2006 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I just pulled out my dj copy of "Give It What You Got" and the time stated on the label is (3:45) and the actual running time is (3:44). Joel Whitburn reports the time to be (3:45) in his Pop Annual so there may very well be two different commercial copies of this 45 floating around. Anyone else have this 45 that can shed some light on this situation?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Paul Esch
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2006 at 4:58am | IP Logged Quote Paul Esch

My commercial 45 of this lists the time as 3:45 and plays 3:44. The
writing on the inner ring is S62191- 1A+2. The flipside's ("Peace
Pipe") inner ring writing is S-62190 - 1B - RE. Maybe Roadshow/
Scepter Records did put out two versions of the 45, since they did
have a two-sided hit. On my 45, "Give It What You Got" is listed as
the A-side, while edtop40 says his 45 has "Peace Pipe" as the A-
side.
Back to Top View Paul Esch's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Esch

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2006 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i will check my 45 when i get home for the run out groove etching

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2006 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

My copy is also the 3:45 (3:44) version.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2006 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

on my 45 the a-side is "peace pipe" matrix #s62190 and has on the run-out groove "s62190 - 1c 7-10-75 ew si + glly"..........on the b side with "give it what you got" and matrix #s62199 it says "s - 62199 - 1e fw".....make what you will out that......my originall info stands on the run time.............so there must be two versions of this 45 in circulation...

just a note after read a comment above........on the billboard charts "give it what you got" enter first even though "peace pipe" was on the charts longer and eventually become the more popular song........

Edited by edtop40 on 27 April 2006 at 8:13am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2007 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm not sure if there were notations in the database for "Give It What You Got" at one time or not; however, there are currently no notations for the various run times on all the CDs.

While it's easy to figure out which ones are the LP length (the discs that run 4:16 and 4:17), three other lengths appear that do not match either of the 45 version run times. Those times are 3:26, 3:51, and 4:08. Perhaps someone can help figure out what those mystery versions are.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

This is very similar to the "Get Dancin'" situation that I explained in the "Get Dancin'" thread. Since there is not a "version" difference between the LP and various 45's I feel that the comment I made regarding the actual LP and 45 lengths should be sufficient for anyone to do their own math or fade at whatever point they wish in order to get the desired 45 length.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat, again, I understand where you are coming from. It's just that in most cases you indicate where a version is faded early. When there are no comments, it makes me wonder if it's a remix, edited version, or just a different length for CDs that don't match the run time of the LP or 45.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 December 2010 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

It's been several years since this topic regarding B.T. Express' "Give It What You Got" was last discussed, but I too was just now trying to figure out if the commercial 45 run times of 2:59 and 3:44 are edits, remixes, or early fades of the LP. Since the database currently doesn't clearly specify this, I was unable to come to the conclusion that both 45s are early fades of the LP length until I searched for and revisited this thread.

Like Aaron, I understand Pat's position on this particular situation given that current database CD run times for "Give It What You Got" are all over the map. But perhaps if the song's database comment could be elaborated slightly to state something like: "commercial copies were pressed in lengths of (2:59) and (3:44) and both are an early fade of the LP length", it would be even more helpful for subscribers interested in obtaining the correct 45 lengths on CD (which we now know can be accomplished simply by fading most of the database CDs early).

Edited by Todd Ireland on 18 December 2010 at 11:50pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 March 2022 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

aaronk wrote:
Pat, again, I understand where you are coming from. It's just that in most cases you indicate where a version is faded early. When there are no comments, it makes me wonder if it's a remix, edited version, or just a different length for CDs that don't match the run time of the LP or 45.

Discogs is no help for this one, I can't even find a 45 to look at in the US.

Had to go to 45cat.

https://www.45cat.com/record/rd7003

There you can hear the longer 45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=lOQSh6CYhag& feature=emb_logo

Edited by PopArchivist on 13 March 2022 at 1:55pm

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 March 2022 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

Oh, it's on Discogs.

There's just some ignorance and momentum resulting in many of the releases being entered with the wrong track order (the stars around Give It What You Got should be indicating it's the plug/A-side). Nevertheless, Peace Pipe is sometimes the only song or is the A-side, so this master release (grouping of releases) has to be separate from the one for Give It What You Got by itself or backed with random other B-sides.

Ideally there should be three master releases: Peace Pipe (double-A or w/random B-side), Give It What You Got (double-A or w/random B-side), and Peace Pipe/Give It What You Got (regardless of order). It's the kind of just-moving-things-around database maintenance I loathe, though.

Edited by mjb50 on 15 March 2022 at 2:14pm
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 February 2024 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Recently the LP this song appeared on back in 1975 was reissued on CD by the Iconoclassic label. This reissue includes several bonus tracks including the short 45 length of "Give It What You Got" running 2:59.
This may be the first time this shorter length appears on CD.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version