Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Don Henley - Dirty Laundry Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 April 2006 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

I bought the "I Can't Stand Still" LP containing the above track in 1982. It's a Canadian pressing, Asylum XE1-60048. When I bought his "Actual Miles" CD, I noticed the beginning of "Dirty Laundry" was different - it had a keyboard overdub that my LP did not have. I believe CD copies of "I Can't Stand Still" are the same as "Actual Miles", but I do not own one to confirm.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the original US LP or the 45 had the keyboard overdub? It could be another one of those instances where a reissue CD attempts to change history!

I have sent out an email with the bg dubbed from my LP to a few on this board for comparison.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

From my recollections of listening to the track back in the day, I believe there were a couple of different mixes. Check your LP to see how audible the telephone ring is on the a capella "kick 'em when they're up" bridge leading into the key change. I think you'll find that's another difference between the two versions (the CD version has it way up, while on your LP version you should barely hear it).

I'm not sure exactly what was released on vinyl in the U.S., though. I'm pretty sure that of the then-three top 40 stations here playing the song that two of them played the version on your LP while the other played the version with the keyboard overdub and more audible telephone ring. Whether that other mix was issued commercially or only serviced to radio I don't know.

Edited by sriv94 on 22 April 2006 at 8:42am

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Being a huge Eagles fan, both of the group and of its individual members from a musical standpoint, I'm very curious to know more about the origin of this alternate version or mix of "Dirty Laundry" because I do remember hearing it many years ago. The one I'm most accustomed to is on Don Henley's I Can't Stand Still CD which contains the keyboard overdub and the loud telephone rings. Does anyone have a U.S. vinyl 45 or LP copy who can tell us which version or mix of "Dirty Laundry" appears on it?

Also, does a short radio edit for "Dirty Laundry" exist out there? I can't say I've ever seen or heard one.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i'm sending everyone a copy of the actual 45 now for your review....

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

It looks like Pat has now posted the official verdict for "Dirty Laundry" in the database, which you can view if you are a paying subscriber.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

The vinyl LP version has yet to appear on cd. As David Clark has pointed out, someone has tried to change history by releasing the 45 version on the cd "I Can't Stand Still".
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Nice catch, David!

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 April 2006 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote jimct

My 1982 promo 45 of "Dirty Laundry", gotten that year, says "long" (implying "long version.") One side stereo, one side mono - same length. We only received this promo 45 configuration at the radio station. I've spent the 24+ years since trying to locate or confirm that a "short" promo 45 equivalent could've ever seen the light of day. Or was that concept vetoed by Henley (or someone else) before being issued, even in promo form only? Dying to know the whole story...
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 April 2006 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

I don't believe there ever was an oficial edit of "Dirty Laundry". I remember I was asked to make one for WFLY's PD Jack Lawrence and contemporaneously Bill Cahill made one for his station at the time, WTRY. (Albany-Schenectady-Troy NY market).
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 April 2006 at 2:26am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

jimct wrote:
My 1982 promo 45 of "Dirty Laundry", gotten that year, says "long" (implying "long version.") One side stereo, one side mono - same length. We only received this promo 45 configuration at the radio station. I've spent the 24+ years since trying to locate or confirm that a "short" promo 45 equivalent could've ever seen the light of day. Or was that concept vetoed by Henley (or someone else) before being issued, even in promo form only? Dying to know the whole story...

If you ever do happen to run across a copy of a short promo 45 version of "Dirty Laundry", jimct, please let us know!

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Hi Andy! I remember the promo said "long version" on Dirty Laundry which implied to me that a short version was available, so I called the label and they said they didn't issue one. I thought it was too long and chopped it myself for WTRY. Funny that Jack wanted one too. Yeah I looked and looked for a short and never came up with one either.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2006 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote torcan

Replying to an old thread...but my Canadian vinyl copy of "Dirty Laundry" runs 5:38. I recall seeing a version at a record show several years ago that either ran 4:38 or 4:39 (don't remember whether it was a Canadian or US copy). I recall hearing that version on a US radio station at least once - they cut out a large chunk of the instrumental near the middle of the song. Unfortunatly I didn't think to grab the single when I saw it because I preferred the longer version.

Hope this helps!
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 October 2007 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Reviving this thread, thank goodness for this board! There is a promo 45 on eBay right now, with the word long in the upper, right hand corner of the label. One would assume that the flip would be short. Thanks to the facts presented here, I'm saving myself $4.00+!

Andrew and Bill, how did your radio audience react to the custom edits you made?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 October 2007 at 4:31am | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

Nobody noticed as far as I can remember for WTRY. I think we had trouble fitting long songs into the morning show so I cut it to 4:00 or something.
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Actually there was an edit that I've heard on US countdown shows at the time (around December 1982), but also on some local Top 40 AM stations. The beginning from :00 - :18 had the overdubbed keyboard. The first edit halves the guitar solo, removing 2:37 to 2:57 (both on the downbeat). Then at the end, the first half of the last guitar solo is removed from 4:21 to 4:40 (going by LP times).

Has no one else heard that version? I'd have to believe it's on a record, as that would be five or six broadcaster doing the VERY SAME custom edit, which isn't likely.
:)

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 January 2015 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

I was surprised no one could answer this. Was there not a promo single similar to what I've described above?

Cheers All!

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 January 2015 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Yeah having the words "Long Version" on the promo led me to contact the label at the time to get the "short version" but Geffen said there wasn't one. Where could that version have come from? Some possible places: Big market stations requested (and got) reel to reel dubs of songs for better quality, maybe they got a "short version" on tape from the label which never made it to vinyl. (Henley may have rejected it but maybe the edit leaked out on tape anyway, who knows). Or, some record promotion people brought around a dub of an unofficial radio station edit on reel to reet tape. I gave some edits to record people on reel to reel tape. Or there was a short promo that nobody on this board has been able to find yet.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2016 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

torcan wrote:
I recall seeing a version at a record show several years
ago that either ran 4:38 or 4:39 (don't remember whether it was a
Canadian or US copy).

One of the 25 worldwide Discogs entries for "Dirty Laundry" (noted to be,
rightly or wrongly, a German re-issue 45) specified the DL side a listed
time of (4:40). Could this have been what Torcan had spotted at his
record show long ago? No copies of this 45 were currently available on the
Discogs Marketplace, so the best I could do was to add it to my want list
over there, and hope that a copy pops up for sale eventually.

Then, just for the heck of it, I followed up with a simple Google Advanced
search for "Don Henley", "Dirty Laundry" and "4:40". Well, I got a hit. It
turns out that another of the 25 Discogs 45 entries for DL; again
apparently of German origin, came back as a match. (Thankfully, full
deadwax/etc details had been included by the folks who added both
entries, and there were numerous "minutia similarities" between the two.)
However, the listed time on this latest DL copy was the usual (5:38). So I
asked myself, "So why then did it just pop up during my (4:40) search?"
Turns out it did because the person adding this entry was thorough
enough to thankfully add a brief note at the bottom of this listing, stating:
"The actual duration of Track A ("Dirty Laundry") is (4:40)." Bingo!

And there *was* one copy available. Just two bucks, but the buyer is in
Austria, and only ships Registered Mail, so 1) the total cost ended up at
around $20, and 2) I suspect it will take several weeks to arrive. (For this
reason, given a Discogs seller choice, I always opt for the US seller.)

So while this discovery isn't T4MOC db noteworthy, as it originated from
an import 45v source, I'm 95% sure that, if true, this (4:40) version was
first created back in the U.S., and was ticketed early on to be the
mysterious "DJ 45 short version" stateside, before that plan was ultimately
scrapped at the 11th hour by Asylum, for whatever reason.

When my copy eventually arrives (and assuming it does actually run
(4:40)), I'll then pass along 45 dubs of it to both Aaron and Mark
Mathews, for their expert analysis.

Edited by jimct on 10 July 2016 at 1:20am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 3:40am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

I would really like to hear this as well. I have been asking about this single quite a bit.

I tried simulating the edit as I remembered it, and the song length came to 4:49. Hmmmmmm

Thanks

Edited by Jody Thornton on 14 July 2016 at 3:41am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 July 2016 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jody Thornton wrote:
Actually there was an edit that I've heard on US countdown shows at the time (around December 1982), but also on some local Top 40 AM stations. The beginning from :00 - :18 had the overdubbed keyboard. The first edit halves the guitar solo, removing 2:37 to 2:57 (both on the downbeat). Then at the end, the first half of the last guitar solo is removed from 4:21 to 4:40 (going by LP times).

Has no one else heard that version? I'd have to believe it's on a record, as that would be five or six broadcaster doing the VERY SAME custom edit, which isn't likely.

Well, that's an impressive memory, Jody! Jim just sent me a dub of his German stock 45, and you nailed the edit points.

- Starting with the US single version (the only version on CD), delete the second half of the first guitar solo (approximately 2:36 to 2:55, roughly 19.5 seconds making the edit on the first beat of the measure)
- With what you have left, delete the first half of the second guitar solo (approximately 3:59 to 4:18, again 19.5 seconds with the edit on the first beat of the measure)
- Finally, delete from the word "down" at 4:37 to the end, and create a nice bell-curve fade from 4:23 to the end.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version