Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Enigma - Sadeness - Part 1 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 March 2016 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Can anyone provide the actual single run time? I'm told
the pop annual lists it as 4:04 but CD issues run about
4:14 - 4:15...
MM

Edited by MMathews on 15 March 2016 at 12:28am
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

Smokin' TomGary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2016 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote Smokin' TomGary

Stock CD 7567-96395-2 has 5 cuts, 4 are Sadeness.
1. Sadeness Part 1 (Violent U.S. Mix) 5:03 listed; 5:05 actual
2. Sadeness Part 1 (Meditation Mix) 3:01 listed; 2:59 actual
3. Sadeness Part 1 (Extended Trance Mix) 5:04 listed; 4:58 actual
4. Sadeness Part 1 (Radio Edit) 4:17 listed; 4:14 actual

Promo CD PRCD-032 Sadeness Part 1 (Radio Edit) 4:17 listed; 4:14 actual

Artist's name is Enigma.
Back to Top View Smokin' TomGary's Profile Search for other posts by Smokin' TomGary

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 12:29am | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Thank you Smokin' !

And I fixed my typo in the subject line. Was typing in a
rush...
MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 November 2022 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

I am always a bit perplexed by the "part I" in the title.

On the album, the original versions are like this:

[track 2:] Principles of Lust: A. Sadeness, B. Find Love, C. Sadeness (Reprise)
[track 3:] Callas Went Away
[track 4:] Mea Culpa

The first two singles released were called "Sadeness part I" and "Mea Culpa part II". But it's not like there's other parts of each song. It's more just like "Sadeness is part 1, and Mea Culpa is part 2".

It would be correct to say "Sadeness" is part 1 of the album's "Principles of Lust" suite. The Radio Edit is almost identical to the album version, just fading out instead of segueing into the next part, and having a slightly different unsegued intro.

But "Mea Culpa" certainly isn't part 2 of anything, unless they mean it's the 2nd of the album's singles. Meanwhile, the third single, "Principles of Lust", has no part number, and it is just "Find Love" under a new name.

OK, I realize it's not supposed to make sense. Apparently, the "part I" / "part II" is just continuing the pseudo-medieval/classical aesthetic. But my brain wants it to have a purpose! I also want to think of the songs as just "Sadeness" and "Mea Culpa".

Anyway, just musing.

Edited by mjb50 on 22 November 2022 at 11:19pm
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 November 2022 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

O/T, it's really odd how this became a hit for this couple. I first heard it and was thinking this was a song headed nowhere. I didn't like the background whisper singing of Sandra. (I also,
didn't know it was her until a lot later), as I mostly disregarded the track as pretentious and quite useless. However, I really did like her work with Hubert Kah. I guess it was Michael Cretu
that I didn't care for music-wise. To this day, I still turn it off when given the opportunity. IMHO, a song with a face only appreciated on radio.

I also heard it once or twice on Casey's Top-40. Not much anywhere else besides radio.

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 November 2022 at 4:56am | IP Logged Quote mjb50

Heh. Pretention certainly results in split opinions—you either love it or hate it (Björk comes to mind)—but it sure gets your attention, doesn't it? I mean, despite being heavily based on Soul II Soul's "Keep On Movin'" beats, Enigma had a fresh sound. And it's just pop, not really high art, right?

Well, it was fresh as long as you weren't too familiar with Sandra & Cretu's previous Euro synth-dance-pop work, which I wasn't, at the time.

I did always think the shakuhachi-flute keyboard riffs were a bad choice (it's basically a preset that came with certain Korg digital keyboards), but still, I was excited about "sleaze", ambient house, and Balearic Beat; I thought it was cool that these downtempo vibes from the dance world were making inroads into pop. I was also still a teenager and just excited about anything new and different in pop, no matter how ridiculous ("Bring Me Edelweiss", anyone?).
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 November 2022 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

mjb50 wrote:
Heh. Pretention certainly results in split opinions—you either love it or hate it (Björk comes to mind)—but it sure gets your attention, doesn't it? I mean, despite being heavily based on Soul
II Soul's "Keep On Movin'" beats, Enigma had a fresh sound. And it's just pop, not really high art, right?

Well, it was fresh as long as you weren't too familiar with Sandra & Cretu's previous Euro synth-dance-pop work, which I wasn't, at the time.

I did always think the shakuhachi-flute keyboard riffs were a bad choice (it's basically a preset that came with certain Korg digital keyboards), but still, I was excited about "sleaze", ambient house, and
Balearic Beat; I thought it was cool that these downtempo vibes from the dance world were making inroads into pop. I was also still a teenager and just excited about anything new and different in pop, no
matter how ridiculous ("Bring Me Edelweiss", anyone?).

Bringing Björk into the conversation works! However, I did find her tendency to growl while singing kind-of weird. Maybe that's why I didn't fit in well with the Gen-X music alternatives.

LunarLaugh
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 November 2022 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote LunarLaugh

Two words: Pure Moods.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version