Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "I Just Want To Be Your Everything" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 September 2008 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

TomDiehl1 wrote:
Skyline's version would be correct...they always compare their files to the original 45s where available...

Not so fast, Tom. I know for a fact that the version of Madonna's "Holiday" that Skyline posted on their website a year or two ago was a new and incorrect (not to mention bad) edit from the album version. I was told Skyline claimed it was from a 45 dub, but believe me it WAS NOT. Someone played it for me. It was an incorrect custom edit of the album version passed off as a 45 dub, with one edit in the wrong place and another edit badly done.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2008 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

That's odd, I had emailed a dub of a scratchy 45 of "Holiday" a couple years back before I got a better TT.

I figured Skyline duplicated the dub I sent.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 September 2008 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

I submitted a couple of correct edits of things that are wrong on the website months ago. Tom is very busy, and keeps having bad luck, so he probably hasn't gotten around to auditioning everything yet.

People send him things and he posts some of them pretty much as is without verification. Who knows?

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 September 2015 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Dipping my toes in the 1977 waters here...

The LP version first appeared on Silver Eagle Records' mail-order 2-CD Dancin' The Night Away (1988). (I love this set mostly for sentimental reasons - it was the first disco compilation CD. Virtually all of the songs appear in better-sounding forms elsewhere.) The version here uses a high-generation tape source, and sounds pretty muffled. The same analog transfer is used for Priority's Mega-Hits Dance Classics Vol. 1 (1989), and also sounds pretty muffled.

The LP version sounds infinitely better on Polydor's Andy Gibb (1991). This disc uses terrific-sounding source tapes (despite occasional dropouts), has great dynamic range, no noise reduction, and a very nice EQ. There are digital clones of Andy Gibb on:
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Body Talk Vol. 7 Hearts In Motion (1996; differently-EQ'd digital clone)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 45 '70s Dance Party 1976-1977 (1997; differently-EQ'd digital clone)
  • Time-Life's AM Gold Vol. 28 Teen Idols Of The '70s (1999)
  • Time-Life's AM Gold Vol. 30 #1 Hits Of The '70s '75-'79 (2000; differently-EQ'd digital clone)
  • Time-Life 2-CD Seventies Music Explosion Vol. 2 Escape (2005; differently-EQ'd digital clone)
It is easy to recreate the 45 from the LP version. The 45 has one edit in the intro and an early fade. Using Andy Gibb as the source (although any of the Time-Life discs will work just as well), here are editing instructions to recreate the 45:

Segment 1
4 beats long, not counting the three tom tom hits, ending on a downbeat
Extends from 0:00.0-0:03.4 of the LP version and 45 edit

Remove the 4 beats from 0:03.4 to 0:05.9 of the LP version. Oddly enough, there's a dropout on Andy Gibb at the 5.5 second mark, which is entirely edited out when you recreate the 45.

Segment 2
Begins and ends on downbeats
Extends from 0:03.4 to 3:32.0 of the 45 edit
Extends from 0:05.9 to 3:34.5 of the LP version

Fade
16 beats long
Extends from 3:22.2 to 3:32.0 of the 45 edit
Extends from 3:24.7 to 3:34.5 of the LP version

Your mixdown will run 3:32.0 with an edit at 0:03.4.

The 45 edit is properly recreated on Eric's Hard To Find 45s On CD Vol. 12 (2010). I don't hear any evidence of noise reduction on this track.

I noticed that the TM Century GoldDisc version is just an early fade of the LP version, and omits the 4-beat edit of the intro. Avoid.

The LP version on EMI's 5-CD Seventies Complete Vol. (1997) sounds spectacularly awful. I think it's taken from vinyl here. Avoid.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 08 September 2015 at 7:01am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version