Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bwci Bo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 October 2015 at 11:49pm | IP Logged Quote Bwci Bo

Can the 3:20 dj 45 version be created using the LP and commercial 45 version? And if so, can anyone provide the edit and/or fade points please?

(Yes, I'm on a D.I.Y. edit mission at the moment as I've blown my music buying budget for the next wee while!)
Back to Top View Bwci Bo's Profile Search for other posts by Bwci Bo

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2016 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

I'm curious about this one myself if anyone happens to
know.
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2016 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Several CD's in the database have the DJ edit but
longer. I have an mp3 that runs 3:21. I know there's at
least one edit and perhaps an earlier fade than what's
in the DB.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2016 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I was convinced you can make the edit, but now I'm not as sure without a little bit of trickeration. At the point of edit (from (2:17) to (2:57)--may
need to adjust by a couple of seconds if your copy has the countoff at the beginning), there's a cymbal crash that's more prevalent on the edit than
it is on the LP/stock 45 version.

After that, it's a much earlier fade with what you have left (starting around (3:13)-(3:14) to (3:21)--deleting the rest).

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2016 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Jim sent me a copy of Aaron's recreation. It has a subdued cymbal crash at (2:17) leading to the edit. Still not sure you can exactly make the edit from the LP
version without a little trickery (or maybe a little crossfade).

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2016 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

My bad. There's another edit that I completely forgot about. There's also a 20 second edit during the two final "Sweet Home Alabama" choruses. It sounds like the edit
is on the "bama" (so cut from the first one to the second one--about (3:28) - (3:48) of the LP/stock 45 version).

So two edits (although the first one might require some trickery), then you fade early with what's left.

Edited by sriv94 on 09 September 2016 at 8:17pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 September 2016 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just checked my file against a dub of the promo 45, and I don't hear any differences in the cymbal crash. It doesn't sound any more subdued on the custom edit and LP version than on the promo 45.

That said, my file is actually one that was custom edited by Todd Ireland. I hadn't done this one myself.

Edited by aaronk on 16 September 2016 at 12:19pm

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 September 2016 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I finally had a chance to fully analyze the promo 45 edit. For those who have the Billboard Top Rock & Roll Hits 1974 CD, the edits are in the correct place on this disc. The only thing you would have to do is fade the ending to 3:21 (deleting everything after that point) and pitch it up by about +0.3%.

If you want to make your own edit, here are the instructions using the LP version:

1) Remove the count-off, so the song starts with the guitar.
2) With what's remaining, delete 2:17.57 to 2:56.69.
3) With what's remaining, delete 2:47.63 to 3:07.36. (The edit should be at the start of the bass beat of the word "sweet," so that the "sw" comes before the edit and "eet" comes after the edit. The result will be NO cymbal crash on the word "sweet.")
4) Delete 3:21 to the end, and create a 12-second long sinusoidal fade.
5) Pitch up the LP version +0.3%.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 September 2016 at 1:01am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

It hit #8 in 1974. Personally, I've have heard it way too many times to enjoy it anymore. But musically, it's a really good record.

LP version including countoff

The oldest CD I have the song on is MCA's Classic Rock Vol. 2 (1988), where it includes the opening countoff and runs 4:43. It sounds quite nice here, with excellent dynamic range, reasonable EQ, no evidence of noise reduction, and a nice, pleasing tape hiss on the fade. MCA released Vols. 1 and 2 in 1988, and Vol. 3 in 1989. All three are worthwhile. Each disc has just ten tracks, but I think all tracks use the same analog transfer as an earlier-released MCA single-artist CD (at least that's what I found for the Steely Dan tracks). That would mean that Classic Rock Vol. 2 uses the same analog transfer as MCA's original release of Second Helping, but I don't have that disc and can't confirm.

There are a few discs that use the same analog transfer as Classic Rock Vol. 2:
  • MCA's Skynyrd's Innyrds Their Greatest Hits (1989; differently-EQ'd digital clone)
  • Sandstone's Reelin' In The Years Vol. 2 (1991; shortens the tail of the fade)
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Those Rocking '70s (1991; shortens the tail of the fade)
  • Sony's 2-CD 35 Years Of Rock And Roll (1992; shortens the tail of the fade)
  • Cema's 2-CD Bell Bottom Rock (1996)
There's a different analog transfer on Priority's Seventies Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 2 The South Rules (1991), which is a bit loud and clips a bit. The same analog transfer is used for Realm's 3-CD Greatest Hits Of The '70s Vol. 2 (2002).

And finally, there's one more analog tranfer on MFSL's gold CD of Second Helping. Avoid; this disc has noise reduction! Egad! Seriously, do an A/B comparison with the lovely hissy Classic Rock Vol. 2, and you'll hear that the MFSL disc has the high end seriously muted. Avoid, or better yet, sell this disc because the audiophiles will pay big $ for anything on MFSL.

LP version without the countoff

The oldest CD I have where the countoff is missing is Time-Life's 2-CD Guitar Rock (1990). It seems to use the same analog transfer as Classic Rock Vol. 2, but omits the countoff. Unfortunately, the left and right channels are out of sync by a sample or two. It screws up the soundstage, and it dims the high end when summed to mono. It's bad. I didn't see this on any of the discs I listed above.

There's a different analog transfer on Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 7 1974 (1990), which sounds much better than Guitar Rock, until you sum to mono. This has the same problem of the left and right channels being out of sync. The same analog transfer is used for the following CDs, all of which have the left/right sync problem:
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Rock Revival (1991)
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Rock Box (1994)
  • Madacy's Rock On 1974 (1996)
An outlier, which fades a little earlier than the others: Warner Special Products' 2-CD Rock This Way (1995).

One obscure Canadian CD that omits the countoff and doesn't have a left/right sync problem: Quality Canada's Joey Vendetta Presents 100% Pure Rock (1994).

promo 45 version

The promo 45 runs 3:20. Aaron posted good editing instructions above.

If you want a good approximation, Rhino's Billboard Top R&R Hits 1974 (1988) gets the edits in the right place, but runs out to the end of the LP version without fading early. It's 17 seconds longer than the true promo 45 version.

Varese Sarabande's Dick Bartley On The Radio Vol. 2 (1997) does a homemade reproduction of the edit, and runs about 7 seconds too long, but has a loud mastering that I didn't like.

My recommendation for the LP version, with countoff: MCA's Classic Rock Vol. 2 (1988).

Don't bother with the LP version minus the countoff, because virtually all of those versions have left/right sync problems.

I assume that the commercial 45 is the same as the LP, including the countoff? (Can't confirm.)

My recommendation for the promo 45 version: Rhino's Billboard Top R&R Hits 1974 (1988). You can fade it early if you want, or just leave it as is and designate as 17 seconds longer than the promo 45 edit.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 19 September 2016 at 6:58am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version